End Of The Trail For My 1945 228C Fount?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
CoolPro
Serious Colemanaholic

End Of The Trail For My 1945 228C Fount?

Post by CoolPro »

Was burning this lantern late last night, and all was going well for about 30 minutes, when suddenly from the corner of my eye I saw flickering and flashing from the lantern. Hurried over to see flames coming up through the frame rest and under the collar :o so I quickly closed the valve and all went out quickly without further incident. As it was too hot to handle last night, I waited until this morning to disassemble and inspect.

The air tube and all parts above the collar were surprisingly loose, so I initially suspected that could have been the problem, but once I removed the collar another possible cause seemed to be staring me in the face. Oddly, the lantern still seems to pressurize fine, and I'm detecting no gas escaping from these cracks. When I put a little pressure on the valve assembly back and forth, I do not see any movement in these cracks at all. At this point I'm avoiding removing the valve assembly from the bung for obvious reasons.

What does everyone think? Are these cracks likely the cause of the strange flare up, or could it have been loose fittings above them? Is this fount finished?

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Journeyman Fettler
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: End Of The Trail For My 1945 228C Fount?

Post by MotorcycleDan »

The way to tell where it is leaking is to pump it back up and put some soapy water on it. You will see bubbles pop up where it is leaking.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
CoolPro
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

MotorcycleDan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm The way to tell where it is leaking is to pump it back up and put some soapy water on it. You will see bubbles pop up where it is leaking.
LOL. Of course. Obvious and easy check. Thanks :lol:
Journeyman Fettler
CoolPro
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

Damn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Journeyman Fettler
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Bummer Kelly! That can be fixed tho... I've soldered a couple C bungs with good results... I'm wondering about the flare up you mentioned... I wouldn't have thought a flame from that area under the collar would've went out by just shutting the valve off... Might need some further investigation after the bung is fixed.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

You should be able to re-solder that. It looks like the solder joint failed, not like it has corrosion at the top of the fount.

Keep going with the soapy water and be sure there are no actual pinholes in the area inside the collar. I've seen this a couple of times and it's a heartbreaker.

If you find no pinholes, I would re-solder that joint. You should be able to use a wet rag and a fount partially filled with water to keep any heat damage to the paint inside the collar area, where it won't be seen with the lantern assembled.

I, too find it unlikely that that caused you flare-up. It should make itself evident by the fount loosing pressure. My guess is a loose packing in the pricker lever and/or a loose jamb nut on the generator. These will leak liquid fuel and are close to the source of ignition. Since turning the valve off stopped the flare-up, it won't be the valve stem packing as it's always under pressure, on or off.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

If the lantern was somehow flooded on startup, some raw fuel may have been sprayed into the mixing plenum and run down the intake pipe to under the collar.
CoolPro
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

Thanks for your comments, fellows. I'll try the resolder job first and then see if I have any other issues. I'm pretty novice at this, but I assume I'd use an acidic flux and 50/50 solder, and use a soldering gun rather than a torch (safer)? I'd of course empty the fount - should I also fill it with water to eliminate any residual gas fumes? Hate to introduce water to the inside of a fount, but I guess I could rinse it well with alcohol after everything is sealed up again.

I would guess I'll have to clean up any remaining paint residue? In the photos below I just cleaned it up a bit with a brass brush to have a better look from all angles as to what I was dealing with. Is there any other surface prep I need to do before I get in there to try to seal this up?

Again, thanks for your experienced advice. Cheers,
Journeyman Fettler
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

For heat you probably going to need a torch. You may also need to remove the valve assembly from the tank as it might act as a heat sink and keep the solder area too cool.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Yea, the valve needs to come out. Mark the bung and the fount so the clocking doesn’t change in the event the bung spins in the fount.

I’d use some 95/5 solder and a bit of paste flux. A small torch would be better than an iron, too. Filling the fount most of the way with water is good—at least to the pump tube and filler opening.

Clean, clean, clean the parts. Nice and shiny. Apply some flux then heat the hub and scratch at the joint with the solder. Once it starts to flow remove the heat and run the solder around the hex part. The flux will pull the solder right into the joint.

Rinse well with some DNA afterwards and blow out the fount with compressed air.

You got this.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

You're in luck, as the bung has that hex nut top. Just use a wrench to hold that while you remove the valve. Sounds easy, right?

Your 50/50 acid core is good, just be sure to clean well afterwards. A liquid flux that flows down into the joint would also be my choice. Ruby Fluid is one that comes to mind. Might not be a thing today. Fill the fount about 2/3 full with water after leaving the fill cap and valve out for a day or so. That should eliminate any chance of explosive fumes. The water is to protect the rest of the paint and the rest of the soldered parts. A small torch would be the best for this, but a good electric solder gun should do the job.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

Concerning the flare-up, I am thinking that as the heat increases and the pressure increases, some vaporized gas escaped through the cracks and got ignited by the mantle. So, it would not surprise me that that is the only issue. I guess you'll find out!
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I would wash that fount out thoroughly until there are no fumes present. You'd be surprised how little it takes to ignite in a very unpleasant way.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?