520 leaking around pump shaft collar

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
will5a

520 leaking around pump shaft collar

Post by will5a »

100_2361.JPG
This 520 is leaking about where the pen is pointed, between the collar and the tube (excuse the poor photo) - to me it looks like the collar on the outside of the pump tube shaft isn't sealing, or tight. The pump tube is threaded, it looks to me like the collar threads down and tightens up against the fount, similar to a M1950. Putting a wrench to the collar doesn't more it, at least not with the force I applied. Has anyone ever had this pump out of the fount? Is it soldered in place? Note the dent on the side of the fount, maybe the pump shaft was knocked loose? I was going to put some heat to the collar and try and loosen it to see more but thought I should ask here first, this is my first 520. Thanks, Will
will5a

Re: 520 leaking around pump shaft collar

Post by will5a »

100_2361.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

Have you tried the soapy water, see exactly where the bubble are coming out?
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Brass fount. Is it a Coleman or a AGM? If the latter, check it very thoroughly for cracks! If it checks out, then you can solder it up where it's leaking, taking care to not fill up the threads. The pump tube is installed from the inside, before the bottom plate was put on. That ring is screwed on, but it's also soldered, and there would be another just like it on the inside.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
will5a

Post by will5a »

Dunked the tank in water, the stream of bubbles are coming from the area between the collar and pump shaft, where the tip if the pen is.
will5a

Post by will5a »

It is a Coleman, 1945 date, and if it is screwed on and soldered I'm inclined to heat the coller/ring and remove it, clean it up, and resolder.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

will5a wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:37 pm It is a Coleman, 1945 date, and if it is screwed on and soldered I'm inclined to heat the coller/ring and remove it, clean it up, and resolder.
You're risking the pump falling in that way. Far safer to just touch it up in place.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
will5a

Post by will5a »

Thanks, maybe I'll clean around the ring as much as I can, flux it and see if it takes. I'm out of time to work on it for at least a week.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I can't say for sure if Coleman built their 520 stoves exactly the same way as AGM, but the AGM, as shown below, has a smooth metal ring around the pump tube on the inside and on the outside. My 1944 Coleman 520 is built the same way from what I can see. The 1945 Coleman switched to the knurled ring on the outside as you show. It was definitely soldered in place, and it could prove difficult to repair . . . nicely.

This photo will help you see what it looks like on the inside. The PO wrapped the entire AGM fount with solder and a thin sheet of metal due to the many splits in the fount for which AGM was notorious. I considered it a loss and cut it open to see the inside.
AGM_520_Cut_Away_Pump.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
will5a

Post by will5a »

Thank you, that is helpful, and yes, at this point I think the best I can do will be ugly but functional and safe, I'd be surprised if it comes out nice and pretty.