Diffuser plate usage on a M1942 or M1950

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Diffuser plate usage on a M1942 or M1950

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Hey guys, I was wondering what experiences yall have using diffuser plates on the M1942 and M1950 stoves.

Does really help with lowering the heat if you quickly bring something to a boil and then apply the plate so you can prolong cooking without having as intense flame/heat?

Does the diffuser plate cause the M1942 or M1950 stove retainer higher heat intensity at lower portions of the stove? I'm referring the control valve knobs and the fount.

Appreciate your input 😊
Cheers,

David

Aka

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

:cf_beercheers:
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Re: Diffuser plate usage on a M1942 or M1950

Post by macwacs »

I have never used a diffuser plate myself. I would imagine that it would cause a lot of heat to be directed down and the tank and control knob would get extremely hot. What I use is two cinderblock bricks turned on their ends giving me about six inches of stand off distance from the stove. Have not burnt anything using this way.
RMW
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

David,

You're going about it all wrong. Get a 502 to use in addition. When percolating coffee, I use a "Born to Boil" M-1950 to heat the water, then switch to a 502 for the percolating. Can one have to many stoves? :)
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

JimL wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:10 pm David,

You're going about it all wrong. Get a 502 to use in addition. When percolating coffee, I use a "Born to Boil" M-1950 to heat the water, then switch to a 502 for the percolating. Can one have to many stoves? :)
Lol, Jim I have both and you are right....never too many stoves.

I was wondering if i had just had a M1942 or M1950 with me camping, if a diffuser plate would be safe to use and offer bit of a variety of cooking other than heat up and boiling.

You are definitely right the those stoves were born to boil.
Cheers,

David

Aka

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I think one of my 530's may have a diffuser plate, but I've never tried it, so I'll be following this. I don't recall ever thinking the M-1942 or M-1950 ran hot. Certainly nothing like the 502.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

I guess I always thought the diffuser plate was intended to keep the direct flame off of the aluminum case/pot. To prevent damaging it.

Is that even a concern, though?
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

macwacs wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:21 pm What I use is two cinderblock bricks turned on their ends giving me about six inches of stand off distance from the stove. Have not burnt anything using this way.
RMW
Ridge Runner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:12 am I guess I always thought the diffuser plate was intended to keep the direct flame off of the aluminum case/pot. To prevent damaging it.

Is that even a concern, though?
Ridge Runner your comment is probably spot for the purpose of the diffuser metal plate.

MacWacs has an interesting setup that may offer some cooking flexibility if the diffuser plate does not work to lower the cooking temps or causes the lower portion of the stove to get too hot.

After Thanksgiving I will try to cook something using just the stove and measure fount and control knob temps. Then I will try the diffuser plate to see if it helps with lowering cooking temps and to see if the temperature of the lower parts of the stove get to unsafe temperatures.
Cheers,

David

Aka

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

Trout
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Trout »

As far as heating up the stoves' lower components, why would the plate be any different than having a pot on the stove? I understand that the plate is to delay high heat to a pots contents.
Mike
If a man made it, a man can fix it - My Father
ICCC 1473

TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Trout wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 pm As far as heating up the stoves' lower components, why would the plate be any different than having a pot on the stove? I understand that the plate is to delay high heat to a pots contents.
Mike is spot on. I use a 400b backpacking. The food would always burn to the bottom of the pot when directly on stove ( yes, I stir it plenty). I started putting the pot on top of the aluminum pan from the cook kit after the water boiled. The extra layer between the pot and flame does wonders to reduce/eliminate this.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)