502 burner bowl won't budge

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
MiguelHerbert

502 burner bowl won't budge

Post by MiguelHerbert »

I have been working on a 502 stove for over a month now, and can not get the burner bowl unscrewed. I have: soaked the threaded area with penetrating oil a couple dozen times, and waited for two or three days with no luck/I have heated and clenched with a propane torch a lot.

I use a ball-pean hammer to tap the area, and then give it a go with large channel locks. I also use the channel locks to try and wiggle right and left, with no result. I am wondering if the P/O used lock-tight on the darn thing.

Also: I've worked on five of the 502's before, with varying degrees of difficulty getting the bowl removed--but the longest it has ever taken is 3-4 days of patience while the penetrating oil did its trick.

Anybody else had this happen?

It's been suggested in earlier threads that I purchase on of the pronged oil filter wrenches--should this be my next step?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 502 burner bowl won't budge

Post by zoomkat »

The various oil filter tools might provide options. You might try clamping a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers on the rim edge so you will have something to tap with a hammer. Just hard to get a grip on the burner without damaging it.
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Careful not to twist and deform the Bunsen.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 pm Careful not to twist and deform the Bunsen.
I have twisted a bunson right in two 😩
ICCC # 1402
BillHoo

Post by BillHoo »

I've had luck with stuck parts by applying tension to TIGHTEN just a little. Not much. Release, then try to UNTIGHTEN. Sometimes it breaks free.
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

A 3- or 4-pronged oil filter wrench is a huge aid for the 502 problem. Beyond the wrench, Timm's method is pretty effective. He heats the joint and while hot, sprays it with penetrating oil. Then heat it more, spray more penetrating oil, and check for success. I tried it with propane, but had no luck. Took the stove to Timm's shop. He used Map-Pro, which I would have thought isn't enough hotter than propane to make a difference, but we got the burner bowl off. I think Timm was more gutsy than I at heating. I believe he heated the joint to a higher temp than I was doing. Anyhow, it came loose. Make sure there are no gas fumes in the tank. It's a hot, fiery operation, but effective. Maybe Timm will chime in to refine my description of his method.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
Sandman
Colemanaholic

Post by Sandman »

Rubing wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm
Mister_Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 pm Careful not to twist and deform the Bunsen.
I have twisted a bunson right in two 😩
Then its called a “Bumson”.....🤬
Mark
ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I personally use a 3 fingered spring loaded oil filter wrench and an oxygen/acetylene welding tip on my torch to pinpoint heat where I want it... Usually just a dull red on the bowl will break it free... If you think the Bunsen got too hot you can dribble a couple drops of water in there which will also help quench it free from the bowl... I've never had to heat one more than once with this method.

All 4 of these Christmas gifts had to be heated to be disassembled.

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
stoves1234
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by stoves1234 »

Good advice up above. I think the oil fillter wrench mentioned earlier is a big key to getting them loose. Usually a few cyces of heat and quench works for me. On the more stubborn ones I'll spray acetone-ATF homebrew on the theads after they've cooled enough so the penetrant doesn't burn off. Removing stubborn model 500 fasteners requires another thread!
Jim
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I always stop and ask myself if I really need to remove what it is I am working on.
Keith
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Stewart gave a pretty good description of my technique. I'm also using a two-jaw oil filter wrench that Stewart gave me--it work well on oil filters, too!

My theory is that by applying the carbon-rich penetrant directly to the hot metal, where it immediately vaporizes and burns, is reducing the rust to iron dust, and indeed, you'll see a fine black powder where once there was rust. Whatever the reason, it works.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

I’ve disassembled one or two haha of these and have never found one that this tool mentioned above couldn’t handle. Lowes or home depot ( which ever one that’s sells Husky) should have it in stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
gootsch

Post by gootsch »

I got mine at NAPA.
Gootsch
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

slowly.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John        
One in every public place...

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #3704 559
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club