Help Identifying a Fount

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Leadfoot

Help Identifying a Fount

Post by Leadfoot »

I recently acquired a small nickle fount that I am trying to identify. It is a Canadian fount, dated 9/34. It has a tiny fuel filler (242 size). Also the check valve in the fount has no previsions for an air stem.
I know pictures would probably help a lot, but I'm at work. I'll try and post some tonight.

I've only been collecting Coleman lanterns for about 6 months so my knowledge of older lanterns is limited. My best guess would be 242k or 247 but I may be way off base.

Thanks in advance
FAS #022 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Help Identifying a Fount

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Leadfoot wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:06 pm I recently acquired a small nickle fount that I am trying to identify. It is a Canadian fount, dated 9/34. It has a tiny fuel filler (242 size). Also the check valve in the fount has no previsions for an air stem.
I know pictures would probably help a lot, but I'm at work. I'll try and post some tonight.

I've only been collecting Coleman lanterns for about 6 months so my knowledge of older lanterns is limited. My best guess would be 242k or 247 but I may be way off base.

Thanks in advance
My Canadian knowledge is limited but I think you’re on the right track
242,243….. the first version used a kinda Euro pip. If you have the proper pump you’re steps ahead of many

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Sounds like a 242k but you need to reach Agostino
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Guff
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Guff »

A manufacturing date of 9/34 would make it a 242A or a 242K, depending on the type of fuel tube it has on the end of the valve.
If you shine a small pencil flashlight into the fount and tilt the fount to the correct angle, you should just be able to see the bottom of the vertical fuel tube. If it has the normal bulge on the bottom it will be a typical Coleman F/A tube for gasoline, so the fount would be for a 242A. If it simply has a small diameter straight fuel tube, it would be for kerosene, and could be a 242K. You can rule out the 247 as they came later.

Keith.
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Here are the pictures as best as I can get them.

I can’t check any fuel tube as I only have the fount. I am just trying to identify what it is so I can build it back into the lantern it should be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FAS #022 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
Guff
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Guff »

Hmm! My bad. I should have foreseen that your fount did not have a valve in it.
The information on the models I gave in my above post still stands though. A date of 9/34 means that fount could be from a 242A or a 242K, and nothing else. Too late for a 242 Junior, and too early for a 242B or 247.
You therefore have an easy decision to make it either one of those models, as they used the same founts. IMHO It's easier to find the A parts than the K parts. However make it what you want.

Keith.