1967 Military Coleman lantern

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
S L Fogle 1

1967 Military Coleman lantern

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

I bought 1967 Military lantern. In pretty good shape. Plan to get it working again. On the bottom of the fuel tank is stamped "gasoline leaded fuel". That's not a problem(have a tractor that uses leaded fuel) but can I use Coleman white gas in it? Does anyone know where I can get a new fuel filler cap gasket? Anyone know what spare parts they carried with the lantern in it's spare part tube in the fuel tank. Anyone know where I can find written or a video on how to disassemble the lantern so I make sure the generator isn't clogged and there is a big dirt dobber nest in the vent collar. Anyone know a good web site to buy Coleman replacement parts. I have a 425E stove that the fuel filler leaks fuel(old gasket. Would like to just get a new one. Thxs
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 1967 Military Coleman lantern

Post by SteveRetherford »

our OCP host has all these parts available for your lantern

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/?target ... luding=all
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Sam_McCord
Colemanaholic

Post by Sam_McCord »

You most certainly can use Coleman fuel and will be doing your generator a favor by doing so. Use the search function here on the website and I think you will be able to answer all of your questions.
Doug

Why is there never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over?

Let's go Brandon
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Since this is your first post, we can cut you some slack - "Anyone know..." is what we do here.

Like Steve says above, there are the parts including the filler cap gasket. Coleman fuel is preferred over leaded OR unleaded gas. The spare parts compartment included, six mantles (Sun Flame often), a wrench some years, spare pump leather, spare fuel cap gasket, and rust, IIRC.

If you can find the "Curlyjoe_99" tear down on this website, it's probably the best.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

This might help...

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachmen ... df.726145/

It's a link to the TM manual for the 252 lantern.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Optimus45
Colemanaholic

Post by Optimus45 »

Joe
Mil-Spec Ops #0219
Normal people scare me!
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Welcome aboard from NC, S L Fogle 1. Great to have you here.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

Thx for info, tips and help. I really appreciate you guy'es help. Thank you! Coleman Forever! Great products! S L Fogle
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

Is 252 the Coleman number for Military lanterns
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

Yes, model 252. The one with the parts well is model 252A.
Here's another good link
https://terry-marsh.com/index/
Kal
ICCC #1726
Perfection Heater Collectors #6
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #021
Bernz0matiC Appreciation Club #057
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

I received a reply from "chucker" about info on how to disassemble my 1967 military Coleman lantern. Chucker recommended searching for "Curlyjoe_99" on the Coleman Collectors Forum website. I'm kind of illiterate on today's technology. My 19 y/o daughter couldn't find it either. I need the step by step navigation info to find curlyjoe. Thx
Greazy

Post by Greazy »

Got to the "How to and safety pages" section and scroll down. It's there. Keep us informed of your progress. The milspec is unique.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Got it running yet? Stuck on something?

Remember, a FULL tear down is not usually necessary on most lanterns or stoves. Once you pop a new fuel cap gasket on, oil the pump cup, and flush the fount - it's just adding mantles after that (usually).
Chuck

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I bought 1967 Military lantern. In pretty good shape. Plan to get it working again."

As it appears to be in good shape, probably best you first do a basic cleanup and lube and try to fire the lantern up. If you are new to this, do some basic trouble shooting to actually determine what may need fixing. Things to remember, 1) if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and 2) if it isn't broken now, it will be.
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

I have a '67 too. Nice lanterns. you might try some grease or an O ring to get you enough pressure to light. if you can soapy water test it and if it holds pressure, you can experience the roar tonight
Dan

looking for 1/61, any Coleman lantern
Found 10/95 birthday lantern!
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

Greazy: I found Curlyjoe_99 'Project Milspec 2018" Great info on how to disassemble my lantern. Thx for the tip. Chucker: Normally I would do the most basic repairs ie: replace a gasket, oil plunger cup, new mantle, to see if lantern would run. But there is a huge dirt dobber nest down in the collar. Don't want to dissolve it with water "to avoid rust" and poss. the the air tubes may have spider webs. Don't want to tear into the valves etc unless nessary. Thxs. Steve
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

One important safety tip. Do not use leaded gasoline in a lantern unless it is the only alternative (like maybe after the global collapse or some other kind of apocalypse ..)

Use of leaded gasoline will release lead into the air. And lead, even in very small amount is not good if you have young children.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Leaded gas is not an issue since it hasn't been sold in the US in 25 years, and even as recent as that, it was hard to find. Bottom line is that Coleman or Crown naphtha is the ideal fuel. Especially when you consider that most all generators are now discontinued, and mil-spec generators probably haven't been made since the early 90's at the latest.
-Jim

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
And for those not aware, Soylent Green was set in the year 2022.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

I plan on just using Coleman fuel in the lantern. Thx
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

S L Fogle 1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:20 pm Greazy: I found Curlyjoe_99 'Project Milspec 2018" Great info on how to disassemble my lantern. Thx for the tip. Chucker: Normally I would do the most basic repairs ie: replace a gasket, oil plunger cup, new mantle, to see if lantern would run. But there is a huge dirt dobber nest down in the collar. Don't want to dissolve it with water "to avoid rust" and poss. the the air tubes may have spider webs. Don't want to tear into the valves etc unless nessary. Thxs. Steve

You are welcome. I will bookmark that info from Curly_Joe99 (Robert) now.

About the mud daubers nest - since it's in the collar that is easily enough flaked off and cleaned with soap and water IF...you pull the burner assy and globes off. Otherwise, it shouldn't affect running since the air for combustion comes from above the frame plate or bottom plate.

If you ever have mud dauber nests up inside burner tubes or air tubes - many members have successfully used hydrogen peroxide to break them down then flushed and brushed with soap and water.

Also, you can always use isopropyl alcohol to flush any water off the fount if you can't reach it with a paper towel. I usually hit painted founts with a coat or two of high temp engine enamel-clear to keep rust away.

Hope you have fun with it. They are a different creature.
Chuck

Chucker

Post by Chucker »

In case some of you may want to access CurlyJoe_99 how-to for the milspec lantern, try this link as another link I posted last year doesn't go anywhere.

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/view ... ec#p155380
Chuck

Optimus45
Colemanaholic

Post by Optimus45 »

The link I posted in post #6 was to curleyjoes thread on mil specs.I probably should have stated that when I posted it, it would have saved you searching for it. 252 is the number for Coleman Milspecs only other manufacturers have different numbers but everyone refers to them as 252 anyway. Milspecs are easy to tear down designed to be serviced in the field. Don’t be scared to remove the burner from the frame.then use a length of stranded electrical wire with the ends flared out through the tubes to make sure the tube is clear, compressed air will not clear spider webs etc. good luck and give us progress reports.
Joe
Mil-Spec Ops #0219
Normal people scare me!
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

If it was made in 1967, it would be by AFM(Autofab Mfg.). It wouldn't have the model number 252 like those by Coleman.
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

MYN927 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 am If it was made in 1967, it would be by AFM(Autofab Mfg.). It wouldn't have the model number 252 like those by Coleman.
according to post number 5 here https://colemancollectorsforum.com/view ... hp?t=26281 it could be Autofab or Coleman. The '67 I own is most definitely a Coleman
Dan

MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

A Seabee wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 pm
MYN927 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 am If it was made in 1967, it would be by AFM(Autofab Mfg.). It wouldn't have the model number 252 like those by Coleman.
according to post number 5 here https://colemancollectorsforum.com/view ... hp?t=26281 it could be Autofab or Coleman. The '67 I own is most definitely a Coleman
Well, that's new to me. I've only came across 1967 milspecs that were made by AFM. Does your lantern have the manufacturer's (Coleman) name, the model number 252 or 252A and year of make(1967) stamped on it?
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

It’s roll marked on the bottom 1967 COLEMAN. I will have to look again when I get home if it says 252 or anything else anywhere
Dan

A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

here's a pic
IMG_6457.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

That is great info. For Coleman, it would be the 252A type IV?
Its designed to tolerate leaded gasoline better than the non-milspecs.
I could no longer find leaded gasoline in my location. They've been phased-out here totally.
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

Leaded gasoline was banned from cars in 1975. Pickup trucks and heavier vehicles a bit longer but leaded gasoline has been gone at least 40 years.

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Murff wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:59 pm Leaded gasoline was banned from cars in 1975. Pickup trucks and heavier vehicles a bit longer but leaded gasoline has been gone at least 40 years.

Murff
In my area, that took a bit longer. We're still getting leaded fuel well into the 80s. By the 90s, they've been gradually replaced with unleaded and completely gone by the mid-90s.
I remembered playing fire with leaded gasoline when I was a kid. They were dyed red(clear) and labelled 'Regular' or similar names. The premium ones were unleaded with othe additives and non-dyed.
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

Aviation fuel still has lead I believe
Dan

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Aviation fuel still has lead I believe

I wondered about that since an airplane engine would be considered more critical, at least to the government, than an automobile engine. But even if it did, I suspect they would be forbidden to sell it to the general public, in which case, it's a moot point. I guess in the case of airplane engines, it would depend on whether all the oldies have been rebuilt to no longer need lead to cushion the valves.
-Jim

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

JimL wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:12 am I guess in the case of airplane engines, it would depend on whether all the oldies have been rebuilt to no longer need lead to cushion the valves.
There are additives available for that, Jim.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Curiosity got me so I searched and came up with a document from the FAA. Here are a couple of extracts from it:

"Although there are various ASTM Standards for avgas, almost all avgas on the U.S. market today is low lead, 100 MON avgas (100LL)."

and

"What is Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)?
TEL is an organic compound that contains lead and, in small quantities, is very effective in boosting octane. The ban of TEL in automobile gas was phased in over a number of years and was largely completed by 1986 and resulted in significant reductions of lead emissions to the environment. TEL was has not yet been banned for use in avgas, because no operationally safe alternative is currently available."

If interested in reading, the document is here: https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/leaded-avi ... nvironment
-Jim

S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

I field stripped my 1967 Milspec Coleman 252 lantern and reassembled it. It went really well. Cleaned out the dirt dobber nest, air tubes and cleaned off all the dirt/dust on it. Noticed one of the air tubes has a copper plug inserted into the butt end. The generator tube has a brass lock nut on the end that goes into the manifold. I don't see a hole for a pricker wire to go in the lock nut. I bought 3 new gens. They all also have a brass lock nut inserted. 2 have thread like packing in the adaptor end and 1 has a like flat head wood screw in the end. Do I remove theses plugs/lock nuts/packing and plug from the air tube. Am I missing a piece for the top end of the gen tube?
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

You might also look for racing fuel. Some still have lead in them as an octane booster.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

This site is what I have used to find ethanol free gas for my vintage Alfa Romeo. Look for those stations that carry 100+ octane.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>You might also look for racing fuel. Some still have lead in them as an octane booster

I can't imagine why would anyone want to use leaded gas that didn't absolutely have to. If you're thinking that's best for the mil-spec, it's not. The mil-spec has the generator far away from the mantle so it's just at the point of vaporization, only so it could handle leaded gas that was available at the time. It was never a first choice. If you have a stockpile of these out of production generators, I guess it doesn't much matter.
-Jim

Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

The only reason the mil spec was designed to run on leaded gas was so the military wouldn't have to maintain a supply line for white gas in addition to the leaded gas for vehicles.
It wasn't because leaded gas was better.
And a lantern doesn't need octane either. Octane is an anti-knock compound for higher compression engines. Lanterns and stoves don't compress anything.
Call me Rusty
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Emorr123
Colemanaholic

Post by Emorr123 »

The “brass nut” should be the generator tip and have a small hole in it. The “wood screw” sounds like that needs to be removed. Don’t remove the packing and the brass plug can stay or go depending on how it runs. Post a picture of the generators so we can know for sure what parts you are referring to.
Eric 
MilspecOps #1272
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1272
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1272
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #7
ICCC #1789
Vendo63 guy

Post by Vendo63 guy »

I bought a milspec generator off of OCP a while back, I believe it was advertised as NOS. It also came with a wood screw plug at the ‘seat.’ Not sure if it’s purpose was to keep packing in or foreign debris out. In either case, you can remove and discard it as Eric mentioned.

That same genny needed attention at the orifice as well if I recall correctly. Some light machining debris or possibly dried oil if the part was dipped for preservation. Try some very fine sandpaper to reveal the hole. You can also remove that brass tip and put a good light behind it to aid in locating the hole.
Jake

“Go slow, because you don’t have much time...”
- Prof. Robert J. Schultz
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

Vendo63 guy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:58 pm
That same genny needed attention at the orifice as well if I recall correctly. Some light machining debris or possibly dried oil if the part was dipped for preservation. Try some very fine sandpaper to reveal the hole. You can also remove that brass tip and put a good light behind it to aid in locating the hole.
I had several NOS generators and used a couple. Milspec gen tips have the smallest hole of any lantern, .0045" if I'm not mistaken. I found the best way to clear an old one, or to prep a new one is to pour coleman fuel or alcohol or carb cleaner into the valve end of the tube and force it through with compressed air. doing this primes the generator and makes for an easy light up. I start with the tip off the tube, then put it in and observe the spray pattern out of the gen tip. the wet packing helps wick fuel from the fount up and into the mixing chamber. if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, you can clean the tip up really nice too
Dan

S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

Tried to send a pic of the Genny and lock nut tip. Pic too big for this formate. I did locate the pin hole in the brass lock nut tip. Can u unscrew the brass lock nut from the Genny to thoroughly clean it or is it pressed into the genny? Thx for the help.
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

it unscrews
just be careful poking through it, you'll distort the hole or enlarge it. use the pricker that''s part of the wrench
just snug it down, don't overtighten the tip into the gen tube
Dan

A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

don't overthink it. these lanterns were made for draftees and guys who scored 37 on the ASVAB. you can do it!
Dan

Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

A Seabee wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:45 am here's a pic

IMG_6457.jpg
Hello A Seebee,

If you ever sell your 1967 Coleman Lantern please let me know. That is my birthday year! Thanks in advance!
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

Up to Light wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 am

IMG_6457.jpg
Hello A Seebee,

If you ever sell your 1967 Coleman Lantern please let me know. That is my birthday year! Thanks in advance!
OK, I will keep it in mind, and if I do sell, you'll have first dibs.
Dan

Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

A Seabee wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 am
Up to Light wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 am

IMG_6457.jpg
Hello A Seebee,

OK, I will keep it in mind, and if I do sell, you'll have first dibs.
Thank you!!!
S L Fogle 1

Post by S L Fogle 1 »

UPDATE: 1967 Milspec Coleman 252 lantern. Rinsed the fount with Coleman fuel. Fuel looked clear when drained. Replaced the fuel filler cap gasket with a new one. Removed the pump plunger assembly. Sprayed carb cleaner down in pump tube/let it soak for 5-10 min/ drained and dried out pump tube. Replaced pump assembly rod. Oiled leather cup. Looked good and fit well in pump tube. Turned pump plunger 2 turns to Rt. Pumped the plunger 10-15 times. Unable to pump up any pressure in the fount. Need some guidance on what to do next, to get pressure to build up. So I can light this baby up
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

S L Fogle 1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 am Turned pump plunger 2 turns to Rt. Pumped the plunger 10-15 times. Unable to pump up any pressure in the fount.
I think you’re supposed to turn it anti clockwise then pump. Turn to right after pumping to close stem valve.
Dan

TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

A Seabee wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:23 am
S L Fogle 1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 am Turned pump plunger 2 turns to Rt. Pumped the plunger 10-15 times. Unable to pump up any pressure in the fount.
I think you’re supposed to turn it anti clockwise then pump. Turn to right after pumping to close stem valve.
Ditto!
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)