Coleman 440 questions

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
will5a

Coleman 440 questions

Post by will5a »

100_2402.JPG
I have a couple of questions regarding Coleman 440 stoves, and this is the first one I've owned. All the part diagrams I've seen indicate there should be 7 burner rings, this stove only came with 5, but seems to work all right with just 5 - is there any reason I should add 2 more? The fount is dated 11-93, so the fuel pickup valve is almost 30 years old, OCP has some in stock, does it make sense to replace this original plastic part? I did replace the o ring in the valve. The fount had RUG in it, but it seems to be working fine now after flushing it with coleman fuel, and I replaced the tank cap gasket. This thing boils water quick, I am impressed with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman 440 questions

Post by JimL »

You could add rings, but I bet it will run poorly. I don't have that model, but in my limited experience, adding or removing a single ring will make a difference, but not for the better. As I recall, in one case, I got more power but less simmering ability with A 502. I think Coleman did an awesome job balancing the power on their stoves.

Even if the fuel pickup is plastic, I wouldn't replace it just for the sake of replacing it. However, you may want to get one as a spare since some parts are getting harder to come by over time.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

" is there any reason I should add 2 more? "

Probably not. If it is working good as is, I'd leave it be. Just looking at the picture I don't see anything out of normal.
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

According to the parts diagrams for the 440, 442, 508, and 533 stoves. The burners should have 4 flat rings with 3 wavy rings sandwiched between each flat ring.
ICCC #1726
Perfection Heater Collectors #6
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #021
Bernz0matiC Appreciation Club #057
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Those flames look good to me, but as JimL said, getting a spare part is not a bad idea.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

I checked my backpacking stoves, and the all the burners conform to the parts diagrams; 4 flat rings, 3 wavy rings, total of 7 rings.
ICCC #1726
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Make sure to get spare generators if you can even find them. If some of those burner rings were lost, you probably won't be able to find them as spare parts.

You little stove looks like it is burning just fine.

Those generators can't be cleaned if they plug-up with carbon deposits.

It is amazing - those little stoves put out a lot of heat - and do it at high altitude.

It seems that backpackers like the new isobutane pocket stoves (pocket rocket) much better than the white gas stoves. They cost much less. Backpackers now use compact LED lights, so they do not require white gas for lighting. It is all about boiling water to use for dehydrated food packet backpacking meals. It is all about how much weight your gear weighs. These backpackers weigh their packs to the ounce. The lighter the better. This, and convenience, determines what gear they pack.

Personally, I think the white gas stoves are much superior.

I think, that Coleman only makes one compact white gas single burner stove at this time (533).
Last edited by brucesheehe on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
will5a

Post by will5a »

Thanks for the comments, I am going to order the valve assembly from OCP, and I'll watch for a reasonably priced generator or two. I just timed it boiling 2 cups of cold water, I think it brought the water to a boil in a covered pot in just over 4 minutes. I need to repeat that test to make sure I didn't screw the time up.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

This is a interesting thread. I have my 2/07 442 Exponent stove in front of me and it has 5 rings, 3 wavy and 2 flat. Now I'm curious what my 400A,440 and 442 Feather have. I'll have to check them out when I get home from work.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

I would think the flat rings on the top and bottom of the stack are not necessary. The 3 wavy rings are what matter.
Now, I'm trying to remember if I added those 2 flat rings myself, years ago when I serviced those stoves. But, I can't even remember what I did 5 minutes ago.
ICCC #1726
TwoCanoes
Super Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Smudge wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:38 am According to the parts diagrams for the 440, 442, 508, and 533 stoves. The burners should have 4 flat rings with 3 wavy rings sandwiched between each flat ring.
I checked a bunch of single burner stoves, 400A, two 400Bs, 500A, several 502s, 533, and a 5450A700 (propane). They all had 3 wavy rings, which means, as Smudge points out, they should have 4 flat rings. All of the ones I currently have dismantled indeed have 4 flat rings. The 533 is the only dual fuel stove I have, and it boils 26 oz water in a covered pot in just over 3 minutes.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
MotorcycleDan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

I have been using a 440 on my motorcycle trips for over 25 years. It is a great running stove. As others have said, leave it as is. Looking at the photo it is burning as it should be. Agree with Jim. Do not replace the fuel pickup until it needs it. It will probably work for another 30 years running Coleman Fuel. Defiantly get a spare generator. I had to replace it in the middle of a trip. Glad I had a spare with me. Hard to tell how many gallons of Coleman Fuel I had run through the original one before it needed to be replaced. I am on my 3rd O ring for the fuel valve.

Have fun with it. They are a good runner.
Dan ICCC #900
222, 226, 229, 3022 Collector
ICCC Treasure
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

I took a look at my 02/95 440 but couldn't clearly tell if there were a top and bottom flat ring so I just pulled it apart to be sure. This one only has two flat rings and three wavy.

FWIW, the manual it came with shows the four flat and three wavy as mentioned above.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
David1967

Re: Coleman 440 questions=Fuels

Post by David1967 »

I want to know is just what all fuels can be used in the Coleman 440 dual fuel stove.
Coleman fuel =YES
unleaded gasoline=YES
E85=?
Kersone=?
diesel fuel=NO
Denatured Alcohol stove fuel=?
rubbing alcohol=?
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Hi David. You can use Coleman/Crown camp fuel (naphtha) or regular unleaded gasoline in your 440. However, I personally would only use camp fuel since it burns cleaner and will not clog up the generator as quickly as pump gas. If you can find one, generators for these stoves are expensive, too.

The others that you mention above should not be used in the 440.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Daryl22
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Daryl22 »

+1 on only using white gas in any of the small & large Coleman stoves. As for the fine condition 440, no need to change a thing by the looks of it. Have two and have no idea how many rings. Both burn like yours. Plenty of heat when grate starts to glow. Your 440 should simmer well also which will be useful when cooking food. Someday that part will be NLA and it could fail tomorrow or next lifetime. To quote Clint Eastwood- Do you feel lucky, punk? Daryl SoCal
Daryl sunny SoCal
No.3 & No.7 KampKook appreciation #5
BenzOmatic Appreciation Club
275 Appreciation #0249
Mil-Spec Ops #0356
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Reading all the posts about issues with these old Colemans, I've steered clear of them except getting a 400 recently. Old MSR stoves or newer isobutane is the trend, although CF is much cheaper as I have pointed out to friends while snow camping and I used a MSR stove to melt snow and they had a convenient isobutane stove. MSR has a few isobutane stoves with the remote canister fuel line that put out some major heat and the Windpro II works in below freezing temps by working in inverted mode.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.