Clear coating a fount?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
StoneyMeadowMaple

Clear coating a fount?

Post by StoneyMeadowMaple »

I posted a question about this lantern before, not sure if it is ready for the projects page, but I wanted to know thoughts on clear coating a fount. I want this to be a functional preservation piece. The paint is peeling every time i do a little more, I would just like to try to clean up the crusty rust, and clear it. Has anyone ever tried it his before with any success? I can’t get my camera to take a picture inside but the inside cleaned up well. Sat for 3-4 hours with vinegar inside, rinsed with water, dried with compressed air and then rinsed with isopropyl just for good measure. I plan to try a shallow soak in evaporust and some wire brushing, maybe a gentle rub down with rubbing compound after that. I am open to suggestions. 🧐

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Clear coating a fount?

Post by JimL »

Coleman never clear coated a fount. If you do that, it'll no longer be original, and since it'll no longer be original, I suggest you go ahead and repaint it instead.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
StoneyMeadowMaple

JimL wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:52 pm Coleman never clear coated a fount. If you do that, it'll no longer be original, and since it'll no longer be original, I suggest you go ahead and repaint it instead.
Ordinarily I would agree, I guess I should say i am trying to “seal in” some family history and nostalgia. It isn’t about making or keeping it Coleman original, it is about keeping it grandpa original
StoneyMeadowMaple

Incidentally, if one were to want to repaint a fount, where would one buy the correct color?
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I don't recall the thread where you introduced it as a family heirloom or I just don't recall it. Being a family heirloom is a totally different story. Absolutely you'll want to preserve it.

I'm thinking no to wire brushing it unless you can only hit the rust spots and not the paint. Real rubbing compound is abrasive, but so many formulas for stuff have been dumbed down over time, it's hard to know what's best. Last time I bought rubbing compound, it was about as abrasive as dishwashing detergent. Use vinyl gloves when wiping down the fount before painting so no oils from your skin get on there.

Rereading above, ensure the inside of the fount is completely dry if you used isopropyl. 91% isopropyl is 9% water.
-Jim

StoneyMeadowMaple

Somewhere i read, possibly on this form (while lurking) about using boiled linseed oil. That also might be a route to consider?
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I've not tried linseed oil, but a search of the word brings up several hits.

https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... mit=Search
-Jim

74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Get the rust off. Whatever you need to do... Rust never sleeps, since it's a family lantern I understand that you want to preserve it the best you can. Clear coating is not a bad idea.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Bouncing between California and Washington....
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

If my father kept and then gave me his 1962 Chevy, I don't think he or anyone else in the family would be appalled if I decided to get rid of the rust and repainted the car.

I agree with Joe, here. If you really want to keep it in the current state, put some naval jelly on the rust spots, give it a good wash and then clear-coat it.

On the other (third) hand, why not leave it as is, and add your own mark on it?
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Chub380

Post by Chub380 »

I think it’s time to call it and paint it have it in the family another 50 years
Davao2

Post by Davao2 »

By the looks of rust on the bottom it wont be long bottom goin to get a rust hole,

If lantern is just for memories leave it .

If your going to use lantern remove all paint treat rust with navel gel then soak in evaporust for few days. Prime an paint .

If fount turns out to far gone Rob at OCP has founts assorted dates if dates are a concern.
Shine the light so the lost will find the path
1 22 1907 DIETZ union driving lamp
47 242c -- 70 220f -- 99 424
62 228e -- 72 220f
63 200a -- 79 220j
67 200a -- 94 414
Bow to no one except JESUS
Deansierras220
Colemanaholic

Post by Deansierras220 »

I can understand and respect the hesitation of removing the paint and restoring it. But if you want to keep it in the family and keep it functional I think it should be done.That rust won't quit until the metals gone. At the end of the day it will still be a family heirloom. You would be giving it new life and making it possible to be passed on to future generations of your family. That's the beauty of Coleman products, with care and maintenance they will last several lifetimes.
Jared Dean
Gateway to the Sierras
Davao2

Post by Davao2 »

J Dean that is great sound advice you word are so logically correct.

Looking at the bottom of fount it doe not look good wonder what under the paint an the frame.
Shine the light so the lost will find the path
1 22 1907 DIETZ union driving lamp
47 242c -- 70 220f -- 99 424
62 228e -- 72 220f
63 200a -- 79 220j
67 200a -- 94 414
Bow to no one except JESUS
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

The paint has deteriorated too much to serve its basic functions. The steel will continue to rust if you leave it as it is. The paint is already quite porous and no longer impervious to moisture and oxygen. It'd gradually crack, peel or lift by the day. The rust will form under the paint as well, hastening the paint's peeling further.
It is your choice whether to restore or maintain. Pretty tough here. Once restored, it'd no longer look like 'grandpa original'.
Restoring it to look new would be the easy one since it'd just be derusted, stripped and repainted.
Maintaining it 'grandpa original' isn't as easy as it sounds. The original paint needs to stay where it is and not overcoated with any clear coats. Once you seal it with clear coat, it'd look too shiny and feel different altogether.
If its mine, I'd just remove all internal rust first. For the external rust, I'd remove the loosely adherent ones only and then spot-treat with a phosphoric acid product to sort of passivate the tightly adherent rust and bare spots.
I might only use a transparent 'dry-type' lubricant spray based on silicones and ptfe to make it moisture-repellant. It'd be better than leaving it bare. It doesn't attack the paint or to try to lift it. It won't make the fount shinier than it is now. Keep it as dry as possible. Be careful not to spill fuels over it. It can still function like a workhorse but the dry-lube needs to be regularly replenished. It'd look almost as it is now for an extended period of time.
Vendo63 guy
Colemanaholic

Post by Vendo63 guy »

You mentioned a “shallow soak” in Evaporust - I know that product says it’s safe for paint, but I wouldn’t trust it on a red font. Don’t know what it is about red paint (I think Toby explained it good once), but the agents Evaporust is designed to attack can be present in red paint and when it is, it’ll take it right off (ask me how I know…). Interestingly enough, last week I wrapped a Kampkook No. 3 fuel tank in Evaporust soaked rags. I placed the wrapped tank in a plastic Safeway grocery bag to keep the Evaporust from evaporating. A little messy and the Evaporust got on the outside of the bag; sure enough, the big red Safeway logo started to bleed and that red paint/dye they used on the bag slowly came off.

I’m a big advocate for preserving that family nostalgia. I still drink my to-go coffee from a 1980s era Aladdin “Shell Gas Station” travel mug. It still has “Chuck” written on the side in black Sharpie - albeit much faded since the day my granddad wrote it on there, but I refuse to put it in the dishwasher in order preserve that name as long as possible. However, if that name fades completely from my mug, it won’t potentially create a catastrophic fire.

Two schools of thought:
1) You’re a lone wolf with limited family and no offspring - preserve the lantern as best you can in its current state, enjoy it for all that it is and take it to your grave.
2) You’ve got kids and/or will have grandkids - they won’t have the memories of your granddad that you do. They’ll have their own memories of you and that lantern. Make it yours and restore it to a state that will last generations to come.

Best of luck!
Jake

“Go slow, because you don’t have much time...”
- Prof. Robert J. Schultz
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

This is what I've done when I wanted to preserve the patina and stabilize the paint. It's worked very well so far.

Michael - ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure or chat on the Coleman Discord
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

I've was thinking about this very topic this weekend. I pulled out my 425 and despite the fact that it is in very good codition, I noticed some rust spots that I had not noticed before, included a particularly bad section in the recessed area around the bung (about pinkie fingernail size). I put some naval jelly on it and got it removed and noticed a good bit of metal was gone, but still plenty enough to not be compromised. I rubbed some motor oil on it and set it back in its case with a large packet of silica gel. But I certainly thought, would this be better with a spot treatment of clear coat. Definitely not enough to consider a repaint, but as Neil Young says "rust never sleeps".
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Clear coat is available in semi gloss and flat also, it doesn't have to be shiny.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Bouncing between California and Washington....
StoneyMeadowMaple

Still agonizing here, as the fleet mechanic/body man/etc etc and living in vermont i am very familiar with rust. I am going to experiment with the linseed oil and beeswax stuff on something sacrificial. I plan to re zinc the frame and related hardware so even of the fount remains old looking, it will be somewhat cleaned up in other respects. Meanwhile I will continue to agonize. I could put it in the blast cabinet and clean it right up, but that defeats the point in a way.
StoneyMeadowMaple

I gave in and decided i just wanted to save it. Used evaporust, which etched steel, it said it wouldn’t, removed the paint, it said it wouldn’t but i did manage to get it clean. I took it in for powder coating. It is more orange than I wanted but its more or less red and grandpa wasn’t one to get hung up on such trivial things anyway.

25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Looks good! It’s probably good that you went ahead and just did it and guaranteed a salvage. If it had less rust you probably would have had a few more options but that wasn’t the case. I think you made a good choice.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
WRustyLane

Post by WRustyLane »

I would have repainted it too. I've done several founts so far and have never seen a powder coat in red. I think it looks great and you have preserved it for future generations and pass it on down the line. Nothing like a bit of family history. When I repaint a fount, I usually give it a first coat of etching primer, then a couple of top coats in the color I want. A friend of mine gave me several quarts of auto paint that has been color matched to the green, red, Sears blue and some ZIP green that matches the avocado green on the catalytic heaters. I think there is a quart of primer in there as well. I think you made the right decision to preserve the family lantern. W Rusty Lane K9POW in eastern Tennessee
And Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

I do clear coat a lot of lanterns when they aren’t too bad rust-wise. I use VHT engine enamel and have great results. Some lanterns no one would even guess I clear coated them while others have a bit of shine.

That’s just me though. I have no shelf queens besides a model R that probably will never run again unless I find a gas tip and a shade. I clear them to keep using them. I’ve got plenty of photos of anyone wants to see them. I have even sold some (to people who knew they were clear coated) and always get positive comments on how they enjoy the look and the preservation.
StoneyMeadowMaple

Holding pressure so far!
Marmock
Colemanaholic

Post by Marmock »

Great job on having it repainted. Evaporust wont take paint off but if rust is under the paint it’s coming off. Also it doesn’t etch the metal. The “etching” is actually from the rust.
StoneyMeadowMaple

Marmock wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:13 pm Great job on having it repainted. Evaporust wont take paint off but if rust is under the paint it’s coming off. Also it doesn’t etch the metal. The “etching” is actually from the rust.
Ill send better pictures when i get back, you can see the fluid line where it etched around it.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Marmock is correct. Evaporust dies not etch the metal. It will leave a line where it derusts the metal. Some 3aught steel wool will level it out so it doesn't show when painted. I usually completely submerge the entire piece to prevent that.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40