sears blue kerosene heater

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
RJrestores

sears blue kerosene heater

Post by RJrestores »

ffirst time on this forum and its my first time trying to restore , i have a sears catalytic blue kerosene 3000-5000 btu heater , first off what is the name of that blue its painted??? ans is there any how to videos just curious , i doubt there is and where can you by parts for this thing,mainly the little rubber washer for the tank??? and is there an assembly guide?

Last edited by RJrestores on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M114171

Re: sears blue kerosene heater

Post by M114171 »

Are you sure that thing is kerosene fired? I think those run on white gas.
Matthew (Matt)
Holyoke, MA, USA
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

That uses white gas, Coleman fuel. Will work with unleaded gas too.

Old COleman Parts (our sponsor, on top of page) may have some parts.
Keith
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

It should run on white gas(camp fuel). The gas cap gasket is probably the same one used on lanterns and stoves and is readily available at OCP or the classified section
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Unless you are desperate for a heater most people don’t use these because there are better options. White gas is very expensive and these really use a lot of it and don’t put off much heat. You could probably do a search on YouTube to see how to run them etc.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman Slant Saver #56
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

ok, it does say white gas on one of the labels, but the guy i bought it from says he use to use it in his garage and he put kerosene in it??? the old timer sounded like he knew his stuff but he was really getting on in age , i could of picked his brain all day but he was closing up his yard sale and him and his son who was helping him were about halfway through a bottle and a 30 pack. went back the next day and no one was home.
M114171

Post by M114171 »

If it was run on kerosene I fear the wick will be all gooey and you'll have a hard time operating it. I'm far from expert so I could be completely wrong about this.
Matthew (Matt)
Holyoke, MA, USA
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

Like Matt says, that wick could be gummed up if kero has been used in it. That should have have been used with white gas only.
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I have a Coleman version and burn CF. But I never use this indoors with CF due to risk of carbon monoxide.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I don't believe these put out carbon monoxide, They do consume oxygen.
Keith
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I never had one that would create enough heat to me it useful for anything but a door stop. It was fun dousing it with DNA and burning it off, but that was the best part. IIRC Coleman only made two unpressurized wick burners. The Kero-Lite 160 and their version of this heater. Everybody should have one.

Last I checked OCP has the wicks. If replacing the wick and burning off a couple DNA X patterns on the catalyst don't bring it back to life it can have a new life as a tiki lamp... or like most of them that are beyond hope, get put on a shelf somewhere. Mine live in the back corner of the closet. Hadn't thought of the Tiki Lamp idea before. Might give it a try. ;)
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Welcome to the forum.

As previously stated, they're not fuel efficient. Plus, if you leave fuel in it, it will evaporate at a rapid rate even when not in use. These are naphtha only (Coleman or Crown fuel). You should be able to hold the fount between your legs or feet, and unscrew the top to get at the wick and inspect its condition. If gummed from old gas or kero, you *might* be able to clean it with carb cleaner and a brush. Just don't mess with the burner head! It's likely asbestos and perfectly fine unless compromised. Again, nothing to be afraid of, just don't go picking at it.

As for color, use the forum search for the word 'Chrysler' and you should come up with suggestions for the blue.

I have a manual for a few of the Coleman models and as far as I know, Coleman made that one. If you PM or email me with your outside email address, I can send you a pdf copy.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

Burner head ???

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

The burner head is the dome shaped part with the mesh screen-the part covered by the snuffer (the hard hat with the handle :D .)
:cf_sign_welcomeccf:
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

Cool thank you for helping me identify the part, has anyone ever restored one of these before ???
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I think they pretty much work or they don't. Your wick looks healthy to me. I'd add at least a pint to a quart of fuel (you can always drain it back out later) and try firing it up. Note that you'll only see the glow at night. Report back and let folks know how it's running, like a small section glowing or a lot more. Just keep your expectations low. It's a heater, but not the most efficient by today's standards.

If it won't light and stay lit, the burner head may need cleaning. This is where you pour denatured alcohol on the burner head in an X pattern and light it. Once that burns off, make another X covering the area not covered initially and light it. I suggest doing this only at night because of alcohol's invisible flame during the day. You wouldn't want to pour alcohol on a flame you can't see.
-Jim

10gage
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 10gage »

James gage sizemore
milspec syndicate #1941
slant savers #68
quicklite crew#43
Coleman blues 243s #167
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

sorry I've been hoping around from project to project and think I got it working the lever that controls it isn't working but it was a pain in my a$$ but here's some pics and if you guys see anything I'm not noticing pls let me know it's kind of chili in the garage to night so I'm going to give her a test run

25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Did the flames die down? I’ve never used mine but I thought the flames covered the entire mushroom and were barely visible??
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

The flames will cover the dome if you have fuel all over the dome. Not the ideal startup procedure. I can't recall if the one I got as a teen said to turn it over until the wet spot was the size of a half-dollar or dollar. Regardless, once that flame goes away, you should begin to see the glow if it's running. If not, try again. If not then, use the head cleaning procedure.
-Jim