First lamp (132a) project

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Kd8kpt

First lamp (132a) project

Post by Kd8kpt »

Hello all,

Yesterday I purchased my first Coleman lamp a 132a.
My hope is to get it back up and running, but I know nothing about these. It dawned on me that I don't even have a clue as to what fuel this lamp uses. The guy I bought it from said Coleman fuel, but I thought it was hazardous to burn white gas indoors due to CO2. I don't see a heating cup like on kerosene lanterns. Can anyone point me toward literature explaining the fuel?
Once I got it home and wiped it clean I could see shallow tool marks in the brass tubing and the white dial face is askew making me think someone has messed with it sometime in it's past. Is there a way to remove the dark corrosion from the brass tubing and make it shiny or did it come black?
The globe, it's support, and the shade were not included. I know old Coleman parts has globes and supports, but is there some where to source an shade that would be similar? Is there a way to set it up to accept the heavier glass shades?
The font is in rough shape. Although the decale is decent the rest of the paint job is trashed. What would be the best way to remove paint as to not damage the brass underneath. Not sure if I want to repaint or just polish the brass. OCP has replacement decals so that will not be an issue. There is however a dime size dent dent above and left of the decal. Is there a safe way to fix that?
The cap is an old style one that I will replace with a new style. There is rust on inside bottom of the tank. Can I just use Evaporust on the inside of a tank safely?
The pump tightens and loosens as it should, but doesn't build up any pressure. The plunger seemed to be in okay shape and even wet with oil. I will probably replace with new for price of mind. I saw on another forum entry that an individuals 132a font was "leaking" is there a way to test for this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Jeff
Chucker

Re: First lamp (132a) project

Post by Chucker »

It's Coleman fuel. Coleman fuel (Naphtha) was used indoors for decades. It will eat up oxygen in a very, very, tightly closed room.

This is from Dr. Marsh's website: "Instant-Lite Model 132A was manufactured from 1935-49."

Brass can be made shiny again in many ways. soak them in citric acid and keep an eye on them so they don't turn pink. No biggie even if it does, it just means more cleaning with steel wool (med to fine, IMO). Rinse thoroughly.

Yes, rust can effectively be remediated with Evapo-rust or citric acid or a few others. Be careful to check for pin holes before fueling and firing. You can use regular isopropyl alcohol to check it and even add a couple pumps of air to see if it hold the air over night.

I'll let others jump in here too.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Kd8kpt

Post by Kd8kpt »

Thank you chuck
Lantern_Junkie
Colemanaholic

Post by Lantern_Junkie »

If it were mine I'd clean it up replace the cap gasket and pressure test for leaks before using .
I wouldn't remove the original paint just because I'm a keep it as original as possible kinda guy !
I bet with some elbow grease id look good as new .
Ernie
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Much simpler than lanterns, a good starting project before attempting to fettle (repair) lanterns.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Old caps are "cooler" than new ones, just put a gasket in it.

Once you have a sealing cap, then try pumpin it up. Or put your thumb over fill hole and pump.

I like old patina, but you can do it anyway you like.

I use vinegar to remove simple rust, just cause I have a bunch of it.

Keep asking, and let us know how it goes.
Keith
Old Cat

Post by Old Cat »

Does the valve turn? If it doesn’t don’t force it. Does the cleaning lever turn, again don’t force it. If one or both are stuck someone here will walk you through the process of freeing them up.

On the rust inside fount you will probably have to go through a couple of cycles with vinegar or Evapo-rust and a bb dance or two.

Good luck,

Dan
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
D421
Super Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

That looks like it should clean up and run well.

Once you get the tank cleaned. Evapo rust, or vinegar, etc. Replace the cap gasket. Then gently oil the pump leather with neatsfoot oil, or clean motor oil. Turn it kind inside out as you do this. Usually works, if not replace the leather cup.

Clean the pump tube. It will have dirt,oil and little bits of old leather in it. At the bottom of the pump tube is a check valve. The long square rod screws into it. You can use a little carb cleaner or even coleman fuel down in the tube to clean the little ball in that valve. Resist removing the check valve, it's probably
Fine.

When this is done. Pump it up with the valve closed and the new cap seal. Give it a good 30 or 40 pumps. Look for leaks, soapy water works here. If it doesn't leak and holds good pressure you can attack the rest.

This is an instant lite lamp. That system may need some cleaning. As you get further along you may need to tighten or replace the graphite packing on the valve. But get the thing pumping and holding pressure and check back.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I lamp is just an indoor lantern. I do always recommend first light ups be done outdoors, but Colemans lamps were specifically designed to operate indoors.
Good find. The tank finish will nicen up with some mothers and 0000 steel wool. Decals sometimes available at OCP or the auction site.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Kd8kpt

Post by Kd8kpt »

Old Cat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:26 pm Does the valve turn? Does the cleaning lever turn,
Yup both turn freely.
Rfieldbuilds wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:17 pm The tank finish will nicen up with some mothers and 0000 steel wool.
Cleaned up the font and tubing and it does look much better. The paint on the font is chipping badly. Note sure if I'm going to just leave it or restore it.

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I rejuvenated the plunger and the tank seems to be holding pressure.

Thank you for all the good suggestions
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Nice lamp you got, Kd, and you're all set with good advice. The most important technique is patience.
Be sure to share pictures once you get it working.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Nice lamp! Hopefully it won’t be to much work to get it running. You asked about a glass shade. Yes it would work easily. All you need is a shade holder basically.

Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
WRustyLane

Post by WRustyLane »

My friend gave me a 132a and after cleaning it all up I tested it for pressure and lo and behold, there's an inch crack in the tube just below the valve. I haven't found a way to repair this so the lamp will just be a decoration unless someone here can advise me on a proper fix. I think the only thing that can be done is to cut it off below the crack and tap some new threads into the tube that will accept the valve assembly. W Rusty Lane K9POW in eastern Tennessee
And Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."