Coleman 520 M1941 Military Stove

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Spokesman

Coleman 520 M1941 Military Stove

Post by Spokesman »

HELP

Coleman 520 Military Stove M1941 dated on the fount 1942. Earlier Four Feet model.

Tip cleaner stem broke off inside the valve. Any suggestions for getting it out as well as the Eccentric Block?

Also I posted in the Classifieds: WTB the Burner Head/ Cup . May also need the valve if I cant get the broken stem out

Anyone? Please

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman 520 M1941 Military Stove

Post by Tgarner01 »

Pick the graphite out until you see the brass beneath it. Then some needle nose pliers will easily pull the rest out.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I had to burn and dig out of one of mine. It's not a pleasant task. No easy way that I know to do this job.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

this is meant in fun. so please don't get angry.

But I gotta ask, Is Levi helping you with that stove??

that stove is really resisting repair, yea dig out the graphite and the parts will come out, be careful not to bugger up the threads in the hole.
I think I recall Steve, "Dr. Coleman" saying that you can use a 200 cleaner stem thingy in that stove.
John        
(-"

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #3704 559
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

I recently did that same job. Give it a good torch to make it more brittle. It wasnt as bad as i feared. I used a tiny drill bit and made a series of holes, but be super careful not to damage the valve or it's threads.
Then, yes, the reproduction 200A levers will work on it. I don't love the Teflon packing but no other real choice. Once installed make any adjustments BEFORE you light it. Once it runs its locked in (mine was). Wish I had smoothed the edges on th eblock end.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
Sam_McCord
Colemanaholic

Post by Sam_McCord »

ecblanks wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:55 am I recently did that same job. Give it a good torch to make it more brittle. It wasnt as bad as i feared. I used a tiny drill bit and made a series of holes, but be super careful not to damage the valve or it's threads.
Then, yes, the reproduction 200A levers will work on it. I don't love the Teflon packing but no other real choice. Once installed make any adjustments BEFORE you light it. Once it runs its locked in (mine was). Wish I had smoothed the edges on th eblock end.
Use the graphite ribbon sold by OCP. Much better than teflon for this application.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/Graphite-Ribbon-P9.html
Doug

Why is there never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over?
Spokesman

Post by Spokesman »

Hey guys Thanks for all the tips. ITS OUT!

As suggested I used the heat to brittle up the packing and then dug it out.

DOUG…so you are suggesting getting the 200A tip cleaner and then take off the teflon packing and use the graphite ribbon? IS there a tip cleaner that will work that doesnt already have the teflon packing on it?
SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

a nos 242 tip cleaner is same as the original one you took out . same part number . i MIGHT have an nos one here .
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Sam_McCord
Colemanaholic

Post by Sam_McCord »

Spokesman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:29 pm Hey guys Thanks for all the tips. ITS OUT!

DOUG…so you are suggesting getting the 200A tip cleaner and then take off the teflon packing and use the graphite ribbon? IS there a tip cleaner that will work that doesnt already have the teflon packing on it?
I just looked at the repop 200A tip tip cleaners sold by OCP. I appears they do have teflon packing. I was not aware of this as the old ones had graphite. So, no I wouldn't remove the teflon. I do agree with Carlton though, I don't like it. At any rate I would add some graphite ribbon to my order to have it around if needed later for another project. Best bet would be to find a NOS tip cleaner with graphite. Maybe a WTB ad in classifieds?

Good job getting the broken one out. Get that thing fired up!
Doug

Why is there never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over?
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Sam_McCord wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:43 am
Spokesman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:29 pm Hey guys Thanks for all the tips. ITS OUT!

I just looked at the repop 200A tip tip cleaners sold by OCP. I appears they do have teflon packing. I was not aware of this as the old ones had graphite. So, no I wouldn't remove the teflon. I do agree with Carlton though, I don't like it. At any rate I would add some graphite ribbon to my order to have it around if needed later for another project. Best bet would be to find a NOS tip cleaner with graphite. Maybe a WTB ad in classifieds?

Good job getting the broken one out. Get that thing fired up!
FWIW, I didn't like the teflon, but it works just fine.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

i found one .

SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

usualy need to clean , maybe hand file all the sides of the E block so perfectly flat , i run the file down the corners lengthwise n sorta D bur em , make sure everything spins nice before TIGHTENING :-)

toss the valve in lye over night , it will help remove all the crud inside , it has to be squeaky clean for this job .