removing internal fount rust?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BryanWP

removing internal fount rust?

Post by BryanWP »

Hey guys, I'm wondering about your go-to methods of dealing with internal fount rust removal.
I'm aware of and have used acetone and bb's a couple of times in fuel tanks on stoves but, wondering what process you've found best in your restoration projects?
I'm trying to "work smarter, not harder" by seeking advice that you've gained over the years.
Photos of my present project (1 of 2) lanterns I'm doing, a 6/54 200A with the green logo glass. I'm about to use some car wax on the fount and was thinking perhaps using Mothers on the upper portion to clean up the cage?
Not sure if I really need to remove the burner assembly, etc., and have new mantles and fuel cap gaskets ordered. I'm pretty sure I can get it fired up without breaking it down further but, won't know for sure until I get those initial replacement parts. This 1 looks well cared for. Just a few small scuffs on the fount, and a few chips on the vent. I'm wanting to keep this 1 as original as possible.
New added photo. I cleaned out the tank, rinsed well, emptied and added some alcohol to remove the water. Let it dry out, borrowed one of my fuel caps from a stove tank that fit, filled it up, and it's running beautifully and quiet.
Thanks for your ideas. They mean a lot to this newbie!
Bryan

Last edited by BryanWP on Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Re: removing internal fount rust?

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Acetone will not remove rust, but will remove fuel residue. Acid like citric or vinegar will remove rust.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Old Cat
Colemanaholic

Post by Old Cat »

If the interior of the fount has any gummy organic coating remove that with a vinegar soak, about a hour or two. If you can heat the vinegar before pouring it in that’s better. I wouldn’t boil or simmer, just warm to the touch. Remember to rinse clear w/water, and then pour a cup of diluted baking soda with water and slosh around to negate any acidity leftover form vinegar. Rinse clear with water and add alcohol and slosh around to get rid of water. If you have compressed air use after each water rinse.
As for any rust in the bottom, I would use BBs and shake. Most members use a fluid with the BBS ie. vinegar, water, or fuel. I have done this with valve in fount with good results, but would rather remove valve If have time.
On the burner assembly, If it’s not bad, use (0000)steel wool, and the u-tube would go in a vinegar soak for approximately 30 minutes. If you pull the valve remove fuel air tube run carb cleaner through it and put in a vinegar soak. Be careful with valve body in vinegar....you don’t want to put the tip cleaner in vinegar...it can destroy the packing. You can put valve stem in after removing its packing, also the generator’s brass parts.
I’m also new at this. You might be better served to wait for others to chime in. They may have other suggestions.
Good luck,

Dan
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

''I'm trying to "work smarter, not harder" by seeking advice that you've gained over the years."

Well, since you asked, If you just swish out any lose debris and rust chunks, your lantern will be fine. Removing rust just preps the freshly exposed metal for more rusting. Kind of just something to do. YMMV
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

I've had some good luck with a two step process.
First a lye soak to clean out any organics and fuel residue.
Second I pour in some Navel Jelly and swish it all around coating everything inside.
comes out nice
I guess its more than two steps, because I gotta rinse out one chemical before I add the second. don't wanna make a chemical reaction !!
John        
(-"

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #3704 559
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

What I do is make a mix of citric acid from wally world and pour that into the fount (with the valve assembly removed). I do not do this with the cap on or assembly in since I had a 242 leak.

Then I sit the fount somewhere in the sun where it can get pretty warm, or use a toaster oven to heat it for long periods. I make sure not to get things too hot, but where you can touch the fount but not hold it.

My results are a nice silver. I rinse with water a couple times, then RUG, then some CF, then I fill it with the fuel of choice. This process takes longer if you have the flaking off brown anti-rust coating in the fount.

I'm at 50 plus lanterns and always check how they hold up after a while. I've had no issues so far.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

WYSIWYG wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:27 pm I've had some good luck with a two step process.
First a lye soak to clean out any organics and fuel residue.
Second I pour in some Navel Jelly and swish it all around coating everything inside.
comes out nice
I guess its more than two steps, because I gotta rinse out one chemical before I add the second. don't wanna make a chemical reaction !!
I like this. Lye for the organic deposits to get down to the steel and rust. Then I use citric acid in the fount and for lots of small parts, but I too like Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid). I buy it by the case and use a lot for spot treating heavy rust on frames, fount bottoms, etc. you’ll find your own magic process!
Cole M.
:geek:
Davao2

Post by Davao2 »

Try using bit of Evapo-Rust with bbs swish around empty repeat till major rust is gone fill with Evapo-Rust let sit warm to hot area day or so . May take longer depending how bad rust is. Just follow directions on Evapo-Rust also its friendly to use you will have no issues an be very pleased with the results.

Harbor frt best price i have found.
Shine the light so the lost will find the path
1 22 1907 DIETZ union driving lamp
47 242c -- 70 220f -- 99 424
62 228e -- 72 220f
63 200a -- 79 220j
67 200a -- 94 414
Bow to no one except JESUS
Old Cat
Colemanaholic

Post by Old Cat »

These are great tips. I’ve, on occasion, used Ospho In the fount with decent results. I will try Evapo-Rust and Navel Jelly on the next two founts. Thanks for the tips.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
TwoCanoes
Super Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

First thing I do is dump out what flakes of rust will come out. Then shake with little sheet metal screws in a dry fount, remove the screws with a magnet and blow the dust out with compressed air. If I'm going to paint the fount, I boil the whole thing in citric acid. If I want to preserve the paint, I fill the fount with Evapo-Rust and let it sit for a day or so. The funnest approach, in my opinion, is electrolysis - fun because it's like magic. Electrolysis takes a while, though, because the anode has to be pretty small to fit into the fount and some of the rust is hidden from the anode. Regardless of the method you use, it helps to have an endoscope to inspect your work.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
WRustyLane

Post by WRustyLane »

Well, since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. I usually soak my founts in an electrolysis bath of washing soda. Leave in for 12 hours with a 4 amp battery charger, rinse out with DNA and your good to go. The electrolysis method removes paint as well as rust so you will definitely have to do a repaint. Otherwise, use DNA with a bunch of BB's and find a bolt that matches the bung threads. Cut off the bolt head and chuck into a drill, mount it in a vise and let 'er go for a couple of hours. The electrolysis is much easier but you must consider the repaint. W Rusty Lane K9POW in eastern Tennessee
And Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."
StoneyMeadowMaple

Post by StoneyMeadowMaple »

I prefer very small sheet metal or wood screws with sharp edges flat head slotted #6x1/2 or so they get into nooks and crannies. I strap it to my lawnmower tire while i am mowing the lawn with vinegar inside a very small inner tube inflated around it and some gorilla tape, just pay attention so you don’t run it over. I do the same with larger tanks on a larger tractor.
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

StoneyMeadowMaple wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:08 am I prefer very small sheet metal or wood screws with sharp edges flat head slotted #6x1/2 or so they get into nooks and crannies. I strap it to my lawnmower tire while i am mowing the lawn with vinegar inside a very small inner tube inflated around it and some gorilla tape, just pay attention so you don’t run it over. I do the same with larger tanks on a larger tractor.
I saw that episode of the Red Green Show !!!!
John        
(-"

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #3704 559
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club
StoneyMeadowMaple

Post by StoneyMeadowMaple »

WYSIWYG wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:10 am
StoneyMeadowMaple wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:08 am I prefer very small sheet metal or wood screws with sharp edges flat head slotted #6x1/2 or so they get into nooks and crannies. I strap it to my lawnmower tire while i am mowing the lawn with vinegar inside a very small inner tube inflated around it and some gorilla tape, just pay attention so you don’t run it over. I do the same with larger tanks on a larger tractor.
I saw that episode of the Red Green Show !!!!
It’s no joke😂
The ultimate winter vehicle was the best, and possum van wood-splitter a close second!
camperfanatic01

Post by camperfanatic01 »

Lol…. Red Green method FTW!

Remember, If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

problem I have with evaporust is the yellow residue it leaves in the fount after prolonged use. The evaporust goes from being a clear solution to something that looks like egg yolk. Doesn't hurt anything but it's ugly. I change the evaporust every 12 hours or so during a prolonged soak and that helps. removing the yellow residue is difficult once it forms.
Dan
ICCC member #604