Cleaning 400 stove generator

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
sbh801

Cleaning 400 stove generator

Post by sbh801 »

Picked up a brown 400 stove,unfortunatly the genny's clogged.Can anyone walk me through the proper process for cleaning one please and thanks in advance.
Shine on!! Steven
Chucker

Re: Cleaning 400 stove generator

Post by Chucker »

Well, maybe.

I just picked up my first black Peak 1- 400b stove. My plan is to remove the gen, see if the tip can be removed, then heat and quench the gen with a torch then water until it runs clear.

Others may have their own approaches and chime in soon.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

400s, 400As and at least early 400Bs (Feather 400s) had a removable gen tip. Remove, then heat and quench cycles is what I've done.

I have been wondering about this magic lye solution everyone talks about. Still need to by some crystals. Anyway, if it so good at removing carbon maybe it would be especially useful for this generator??? Maybe someone else has tried it in a 400 generator.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I would suggest a couple rounds of heat and quench as suggested above. Then flush with brake cleaner till it runs clean. I’ve done this with MilSpec generators and a 450 generator. Sometimes the brake cleaner just slowly drips through and is black colored, it speeds up as it cleans out all the old carbon crap.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
sbh801

Post by sbh801 »

Thanks guys,I'll give it a try!
Shine on!! Steven
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Hey Steven, got my new 400b running but starts to flare up on low so - that tells me it's probably an oversized generator orifice since it runs fine on 'hi'.

I'm bidding on a new gen but after it arrives and I install it, I'll clean the gen and pean the orifice just a bit so I'll have two useable gens.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

sbh801

Post by sbh801 »

I heat and quenched mine along with soaked in citric acid bath ,shot some carb cleaner through orfice and blew air with a straw and it seems to have worked.My generators the one with with low clean high cleaning valve attached on end
Shine on!! Steven
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Chucker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:23 am Hey Steven, got my new 400b running but starts to flare up on low so - that tells me it's probably an oversized generator orifice since it runs fine on 'hi'.

I'm bidding on a new gen but after it arrives and I install it, I'll clean the gen and pean the orifice just a bit so I'll have two useable gens.
I just checked the orifice on a 400/400A generator and also on a 400B/Feather 400 generator and both measure 0.0130". Do you have any way to measure yours? It would be good to confirm this before you peen it.

Additionally, the 400B gen that I measured actually had a burned or broken tip cleaning wire (just a little off the end) and this was the real reason mine had such poor flame adjustment. Something to check.
Stovie-Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Coldwaterpaddler wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:33 pm
Chucker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:23 am Hey Steven, got my new 400b running but starts to flare up on low so - that tells me it's probably an oversized generator orifice since it runs fine on 'hi'.

I just checked the orifice on a 400/400A generator and also on a 400B/Feather 400 generator and both measure 0.0130". Do you have any way to measure yours? It would be good to confirm this before you peen it.

Additionally, the 400B gen that I measured actually had a burned or broken tip cleaning wire (just a little off the end) and this was the real reason mine had such poor flame adjustment. Something to check.

I won't pean it until I get a look at the cleaning wire and a new gen in hand. I'm not scared of peening gen tips, I've successfully done it for years on various gens.
Chuck

Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Hey Steven, just got my new gen for my 400b. Works great.

No chance of salvaging the old one however since it appears the pricker wire is gone, burned up probably.
Chuck

Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Chucker wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:43 am Hey Steven, just got my new gen for my 400b. Works great.

No chance of salvaging the old one however since it appears the pricker wire is gone, burned up probably.
That wire can be replaced. I did it on a 445.
Stovie-Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Coldwaterpaddler wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:05 am
Chucker wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:43 am Hey Steven, just got my new gen for my 400b. Works great.

That wire can be replaced. I did it on a 445.

Did you fab/cut the wire yourself or purchase it? Did you peen it or silver solder?
Chuck

Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

I used some K&S brass tube from the hardware store. Used an old guitar string, fed it through the tube, crimped the tube and then bent it to the L shape, and finally cut the wire to length. It's still being used in that 445 exponent stove and I put it in there 5 years ago.
Stovie-Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95