Seafoam use in a lantern

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Curious dtovie

Seafoam use in a lantern

Post by Curious dtovie »

I recently cleaned up and fired up three 220 series Coleman lanterns ( two F's and one h ) that had not been used in years. Plenty of dust but they fired up good with just one being temperamental. It has been mentioned on this site that people have put one cap of Seafoam in their stove tanks and ran it through to help clean the system. If I burn a tank of fuel through each lantern and add a cap of Seafoam will it hurt the lantern? With them having been unused for so long I thought it would help clean the system.
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Seafoam use in a lantern

Post by sleebus »

It's not going to hurt the lantern. I also use Berryman's chemtool at a concentration waaaay past a capful. However, nowadays if things are nasty, I rinse the fount with denatured alcohol, service the generator and everything is good. Maybe it's good for occasional use to keep things clean? Dunno, but you aren't going to hurt anything.
Michael - ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure or chat on the Coleman Discord
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

You may try running it for a while. Sometimes when you clean em up and get them running you break all the junk loose and they just need to run a while and clear their throat.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Seafoam is mostly oil. And naptha (which is pretty much Coleman fuel!)

Just run CF.

If they "fired up good" why add anything to fuel?
Keith
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Coleman fuel doesn't go bad. As long as no water has accumulated you don't have anything to worry about I have used Coleman fuel that was over 40 years old.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Bouncing between California and Washington....
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"It has been mentioned on this site that people have put one cap of Seafoam in their stove tanks and ran it through to help clean the system."

I think it is in the realm ritualistic behaviors unless the injectors, rings, and and noisy lifters need attention.
Curious dtovie

Post by Curious dtovie »

Thanks for the advice, I thought maybe some kind of additive would help clean them out. Maybe carb cleaner/ fuel injector cleaner. I have two Mil-Sprcs I will bring to Gordon's if I can make it there Andy.one is Coleman one is SMP. Never have fired them up. Will change gaskets and oil pump leather this week. Hopefully I can find out a little about them.
argentcorvid

Post by argentcorvid »

Seafoam is naptha, light oil, and denatured alcohol in a specific mixture. you could just add some alcohol to your fount once in a while and get the same effect, since CF is Naptha. I can't see any benefit to the oil portion in our applications.

When i was fixing up my 242 that wouldn't run unless I blocked the air tube, I ran alcohol through the fuel side to clean it out (left it in the lantern a couple days), it worked pretty well.
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

I am sure that you will find plenty of folks that will help you get them going and tell you more about them. Look forward to seeing you there.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
layn6015

Post by layn6015 »

One caution, Berrymans B12 will eat paint, ask me how I know😐. I had to repaint the tank on my 413G, because I splashed it around, so I used B-12 to finish stripping it.