Could these be patches?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Could these be patches?

Post by Volvoguy »

Here’s a 200a fount I have that’s kinda confusing me. It came to me (only the fount) with original but rough paint. Unfortunately I don’t think I have a before photo.

It’s been in electrolysis for a while and got cleaned up today. It has these large copper color bumps on the bottom rim, so for the time being I’ve stopped work on it.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Could these be patches?

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I've seen that on GPAs previously. They were not patches.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

The seams are copper brazed in a big furnace, it looks like some ran out during the process.

You’ll see it around the filler necks, valve bung and pump tube as well. Sometimes it will deposit itself on the inside bottom of the fount too.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

Thank you both! I was a bit worried on this one but I’ll keep on. I’ll try to sand them down a bit since they are pretty high and will be obvious when I repaint.

I’m curious about Coleman’s quality control back then. I’ve also got a 220e with a double stamped collar and a big run in the original paint. I wonder what was sent back and what was allowed to pass.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Have you dunk/pressure tested that fount? Don’t be shy about poking around with an awl or something similar either.

This fount seemed sound until I poked at a couple black spots:

— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
lynn225
Colemanaholic

Post by lynn225 »

Regarding Coleman's quality control, keep in mind these lanterns were sold as a tool. Fit and finish were not a "line stopper"; minor blems went through all the time. I've seen some lanterns marked as "second", so I wonder what issues might have caused a lantern to be a second. It could be a customer return I guess, that they replaced with a new unit, then fixed and sold the returned units as seconds.
Lynn Klingel
Huntingdon, PA

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ACC,#3

All your lantern are belong to us.
You have no chance to survive make your time.

Coleman Blues 243's  #137
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0218
Mil-SpecOps #0218
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

Ridge Runner wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:04 am Have you dunk/pressure tested that fount? Don’t be shy about poking around with an awl or something similar either.

This fount seemed sound until I poked at a couple black spots:

I haven't pressure tested it yet, but 200a's are my #1 lantern for being completely shot full of holes. I have had upwards of 5 I believe. Some looked pristine but had a little hole in the side, and some had varnish plugging holes that had leaked slowly over time so they were hard to catch.

So far so good poking at this one but before paint and after the pressure test I'll poke at it some more.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

lynn225 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:33 am Regarding Coleman's quality control, keep in mind these lanterns were sold as a tool. Fit and finish were not a "line stopper"; minor blems went through all the time. I've seen some lanterns marked as "second", so I wonder what issues might have caused a lantern to be a second. It could be a customer return I guess, that they replaced with a new unit, then fixed and sold the returned units as seconds.
Exactly. Since they were a tool I was wondering how lenient they would be or if Coleman sold things as factory seconds back in the day or if that is a newer thing. I have seen some 90's lanterns marked seconds but nothing else.

I wonder how one would have gone about buying a Coleman second back in the day. When I was a kid there was an outlet store in Pigeon Forge, TN but that was pretty recent (and it is now closed). Other than that I'm curious if places had a seconds section or what.