Quick Lite 427 questions

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Bartholomew068

Quick Lite 427 questions

Post by Bartholomew068 »

Good morning,
Brought home a January 1930 L427 yesterday (I believe). I have combed through the CCF pages looking for a resource to help me with disassembling this, if necessary. Also looked for videos via google and di not find one specific to restoring a 427. was hoping to find something akin to Frank Bebbs videos. Any suggestions for resources for working on Quick lites? I'm pretty good with the milspecs and 220 series, but have not worked on one of the quick lites. Doesn't appear overly complicated, but this is in great shape and i really do not want to mess it up.

Will a 220 filler cap work appropriately on a quick lite? this one is missing the winged filler cap

were the burner frames and bails originally black? this one is and am not sure if that is original

Is the correct globe a mica? or was it one of the green letter ones?

The check valve is the older one that fits 220C an earlier, correct?

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Oscar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Re: Quick Lite 427 questions

Post by Brightlight »

You need the correct insert for a 427 filler cap that has a smaller diameter centerpiece if you want to use a 3 piece cap. A one piece will seal fine.

No black paint on frames and bails done by Coleman.

Mica globe was only option on these as there was no opening in the frame for lighting with a glass globe. But you see many with owner added lighting holes.

Yes, the larger B/C style CV was used.

The burner spins off for disassembly.
Cole M.
:geek:
Bartholomew068

Post by Bartholomew068 »

Brightlight wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:15 pm You need the correct insert for a 427 filler cap that has a smaller diameter centerpiece if you want to use a 3 piece cap. A one piece will seal fine.

No black paint on frames and bails done by Coleman.

Mica globe was only option on these as there was no opening in the frame for lighting with a glass globe. But you see many with owner added lighting holes.

Yes, the larger B/C style CV was used.

The burner spins off for disassembly.
Thank you.
It really looks like someone painted the burner frame and bail black.

Is the burner frame plated in any way? Will I damage anything if I try to strip this paint off? I'm am actually happy with it as is, but want to know in case I decide to do more with it. Since it fired right up, I am inclined to simply clean it, get the correct cap, and enjoy running it.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

There was some plating on it but likely gone anyway with time and use. Strip it and use some 0000 steel wool and see how it looks.

Correct cap would have been the smooth nickel plated cap with wings.
Cole M.
M114171

Post by M114171 »

Shouldn't there be an alcohol cup?
Matthew (Matt)
Holyoke, MA, USA
Bartholomew068

Post by Bartholomew068 »

M114171 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:55 pm Shouldn't there be an alcohol cup?
I don't think the quick lites came with preheat cups.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

M114171 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:55 pm Shouldn't there be an alcohol cup?
No. This is a white gas lantern.
Cole M.
M114171

Post by M114171 »

I agree that it's a white gas lantern. Aren't Quick Lites from before the advent of the instant light circuit? That means the vapor generator has to be hot before firing this lantern, correct? I can't imagine the lantern was intended to just be a gasoline fireball until the generator gets hot. So again, shouldn't there be an alcohol cup? On the other hand, things were a lot different a century ago, maybe a gasoline fireball was okay back then.
Matthew (Matt)
Holyoke, MA, USA
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

M114171 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:26 am I agree that it's a white gas lantern. Aren't Quick Lites from before the advent of the instant light circuit? That means the vapor generator has to be hot before firing this lantern, correct? I can't imagine the lantern was intended to just be a gasoline fireball until the generator gets hot. So again, shouldn't there be an alcohol cup? On the other hand, things were a lot different a century ago, maybe a gasoline fireball was okay back then.
Quicklites were designed to be match generating. At the time, this was "quick" lighting, much faster than the torch lites that predates them. Here's some illustrations and some wording if you can see it clearly describing the process.

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
M114171

Post by M114171 »

Interesting, I thought it was only pigtail vapor generators that were intended to be pre-heated with a few kitchen matches. Please forgive me for side tracking your thread a bit, Bartholomew068. I thought all the pre-instant light lamps and lanterns, except the ones with the loop generator, had an alcohol cup for heating the generator. Had no idea that people back then had to carry a blow torch with them to get their lantern going.
Matthew (Matt)
Holyoke, MA, USA
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

M114171 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:30 pm Interesting, I thought it was only pigtail vapor generators that were intended to be pre-heated with a few kitchen matches. Please forgive me for side tracking your thread a bit, Bartholomew068. I thought all the pre-instant light lamps and lanterns, except the ones with the loop generator, had an alcohol cup for heating the generator. Had no idea that people back then had to carry a blow torch with them to get their lantern going.
I’m pretty sure this 427 would have originally had the Q99 (pig tail) generator. The R55 was introduced in the early 1930’s, but wasn’t a factory installed gen on the 427 until late 30’s. Coleman54 (Larry) has the timeline on this I believe.
Cole M.