coleman stove 413G ???

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
RJrestores

coleman stove 413G ???

Post by RJrestores »

So i got my hands on a coleman 413g stove??? i think im new at all this coleman restore stuff but im already hooked. but now ive got this stove and om ready to dive in but i noticed the red pump(generator) isnt holding pressure and the valve it hink its broken it turns and then i hear a small click and it just spins and spins so my queation to you guys is what do i do ??? lol do i buy a new valve can i repair it what are my options ??? oh and how do you identify this thing like date it model #??? well thank ypu guys again and my coleman sears blue heater works amazing thank you for your help on that one too guys RJ Restores OUT!!!

Troglodyte

Re: coleman stove 413G ???

Post by Troglodyte »

The model is a 413G. They ran from 1965-1980. Earlier models had the date stamped on the bottom side of the tabs that hold the tank in the slots in the case. Later models (1972ish) had the date stamped on the bottom of the case. Yours looks to be pre-72.

The "red pump(generator)" that you describe sounds like the fuel tank. If it feels like it is pumping up but not holding pressure you either have the valve open, the gasket on the cap is bad, or you have a hole in the tank. Make sure the valve (the red wheel) is all the way closed. "Righty - Tighty". If that doesn't work, check the o-ring in the cap (check it anyway).

If it's not pumping up then the leather on the pump is probably dried out or you're not holding your thumb over the hole in the end of the pump as you pump it. Go ahead and check the leather anyway. Take off the clip holding the pump to the tank and pull the pump out. The leather should be oiled. If it is dry or not spread out, fold it back and put it in some Neat's Foot oil and let it sit for a while. Then reinstall and give it a try again.

If the valve wheel just spins it may be stripped. If you're talking about the little "L" shaped wire behind the valve wheel then it is supposed to turn freely.

Your terminology is a little challenging to be able to make specific recommendations but that's OK. If you're new to this the names of the pieces parts can be difficult. You'll get the hang of it and we'll help as we can.
I'm excited when we lose electricity at the house.

Mike 
Texas Panhandle
ICCC 1369
TwoCanoes
Super Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Yes, it's a 413G. The manufacture date of the tank is stamped on the underside of the tabs from which the tank hangs. If it was manufactured on or after 1972, the manufacture date of the case should be stamped on the bottom of the case. 413Gs were made from 1965 to 1980. If the tank isn't holding pressure, the most likely problem is a bad fuel cap gasket. I'm not sure about the click you're describing. I suggest you post a picture of the part that is just spinning. By the way, these are good stoves.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

So I did everything you guys suggested, thank you guys by the way. I had no idea about covering the hole. And I still cant get it to hold pressure ??? OK and this time around I have better pictures. the first pic is of the L-Shaped "thingy" and that just keeps spinning and then clicks when its all the way up(2nd pic). and the third pic is of the pump handle it doesn't unlock or lock and wont maintain pressure and with my thumb on the hole. but i noticed now with my thumb on the hole i hear a Gargling like sound and I'm worried that means a leaking tank ,but hopefully I'm wrong which is why I'm back to you guys on my next steps to fixing and restoring my tank and getting it up and running, and again please and thank you for all your help. RjRestores

RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

heres a pic of what i believe is the made on date.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Date is October 72. Assuming it is the original tank.

The "L" shape wire is the lighting lever. You position it up to light and after a minute or so you put it in the down position. Spinning is normal. If you hear gurgling and you don't see fuel leaking then your tank is probably OK. From the pictures I don't see any reason it would have a hole. Make sure when you are finished pumping it up you push the pump all the way in and tighten it. Also make sure the red wheel in your picture is closed before pumping.

Here's the instructions from our friend at Old Coleman Town

https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/manuals/413g.pdf
I'm excited when we lose electricity at the house.

Mike 
Texas Panhandle
ICCC 1369
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

What do you mean when you say the “pump handle won’t lock or unlock”. Do you mean it will not rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
RJrestores

Post by RJrestores »

Yes it won't rotate clockwise or counter clockwise , so I took it apart again and took pics of the problem I'm dealing with ,these first two pics are of the handle I took off of the tank and I think Its all good but I could be wrong, the second pics are of the tank they look good to but when I reassemble the handle doesn't turn clockwise or counter-clockwise and it fills stuck, on the youtube videos it seems like there moving it quite a few turns at least one hole turn before it locks. again than you for your help.

thezman
Colemanaholic

Post by thezman »

Stem is probably stuck in the check valve.
Larry
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

Take those needle nose pliers and grab the end of the air stem and twist CCW. Remove the stem completely and examine the brass end for any damage. To reinstall, it’s easier to slide the stem into the pump handle and then insert the pump in the tube, being careful not to fold the edge of the pump leather. Turn the pump knob clockwise to tighten the stem to fully close the check valve. You just need to close it snug, not so tight you can’t open it again.
Cole M.
:geek: