2 more early lanterns I'm trying to sort out

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BryanWP

2 more early lanterns I'm trying to sort out

Post by BryanWP »

I have 2 more lanterns I'm trying to sort out that I can use your help on.
A 34-36 242A that I'm not sure about the glass, the vent, and definitely thinking the bail is incorrect. The glass in it is the green Coleman underlined with a sunrise on one side, and PYREX made in the USA on the opposite side. The fuel cap is a tiny 3 piece.

Also have an early Quick Lite that I'd like to get a better handle on the date. On the vent it is listed as "The Coleman Lamp Company".
It has a winged pump/fuel lid combined
Photos included. Just need some proper information to understand what would be needed to have them the way they were.
Thanks,
Bryan

Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Re: 2 more early lanterns I'm trying to sort out

Post by Brightlight »

Have you checked out Terry Marsh’s lantern gallery. You need to start learning how to figure some of this stuff out on your own! Lol

It’s an AGM vent on the 242A and a 327 Quicklite. No wings on the filler plug. It has a thumbscrew.
Cole M.
:geek:
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

Brightlight wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:48 am Have you checked out Terry Marsh’s lantern gallery. You need to start learning how to figure some of this stuff out on your own! Lol

It’s an AGM vent on the 242A and a 327 Quicklite. No wings on the filler plug. It has a thumbscrew.
Actually, I was on Terry Marsh's lantern gallery earlier today trying to peg it down on my own but, thought some on here might be able to fill in the blanks.
Thanks for helping out. It's greatly apprectiated!
czechphotoguy

Post by czechphotoguy »

I would imagine several of us would love to have you send them too us to help you figure out what they are!

:D

Ross
“In Coleman cornu augue succendit superciliis off!”
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

czechphotoguy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:59 am I would imagine several of us would love to have you send them too us to help you figure out what they are!

:D

Ross
:cf_absolutely:
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

I think you have a 327/Air-O lite and a 242 of some sort that has an AGM vent on it. Sometimes asking here is the best bet, especially when you have a mix of brands on one lantern, like the little 242/AGM hybrid.

Regards,

Dean
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  www.deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

Deanofid wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:08 am I think you have a 327/Air-O lite and a 242 of some sort that has an AGM vent on it. Sometimes asking here is the best bet, especially when you have a mix of brands on one lantern, like the little 242/AGM hybrid.

Regards,

Dean
So, it's marked as a Quicklite on the band, and a couple of you have identified it as a 327. I'm a bit confused if it's also considered an Air-O Lite. Can you help me understand the additional designation?
I'm a newbie, and trying to grasp as much as I can.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

Mr. Dean isn’t quite there. The early 327 models were Air-O-Lanterns. There was a lamp model Air-O-Lite. But the Air-O-Lantern did not have Quicklite punched out in the collar.

Your 327 is in the 1922-early 1924 range. The embossed vent started in 1922. The stamping of the fount under the filler plug began in early 1924. You are somewhere between those dates. The bakelite valve wheel is a later replacement. Those began around late 1928-29. The original fiber wheels were often replaced.

If you are going to stay with this, consider buying The ICCC Book. Perhaps join the ICCC. There are some great articles in the newsletter that help identify these feature changes and date ranges.
Cole M.
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

That's some great information you've provided, and I really appreciate it.
Blessings from Oregon,
Bryan
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Bryan, a picture of your mixing chamber and letting us know if it's a single or double patent stamp on the air tube can really narrow down your date range. Appears to be late 23-late 24 from the features I see... The outlier being the bakelite valve wheel.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Lines
Colemanaholic

Post by Lines »

Brightlight wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:55 am Mr. Dean isn’t quite there.
Poor guy! :lol:
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Any 10/59 lantern or fount.
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 am Bryan, a picture of your mixing chamber and letting us know if it's a single or double patent stamp on the air tube can really narrow down your date range. Appears to be late 23-late 24 from the features I see... The outlier being the bakelite valve wheel.
I've run into an issue in removing the vent and wonder if anyone has some insight I lack. The nut was rusted to the steel bolt on top but, a few rounds of the heat/quench method overcame that quickly.
My issue is now that although the vent turns freely there is what appears to be a washer on top that doesn't seem to touch the bolt but, it does not turn with the vent, nor does it come right off like a normal washer.
Is there something to the design of this that I'm unaware of?
Has anyone else removed the vent on one of these that understands what I'm running into?
Thanks for any insight,
Bryan
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

BryanWP wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 am Bryan, a picture of your mixing chamber and letting us know if it's a single or double patent stamp on the air tube can really narrow down your date range. Appears to be late 23-late 24 from the features I see... The outlier being the bakelite valve wheel.
I've run into an issue in removing the vent and wonder if anyone has some insight I lack. The nut was rusted to the steel bolt on top but, a few rounds of the heat/quench method overcame that quickly.
My issue is now that although the vent turns freely there is what appears to be a washer on top that doesn't seem to touch the bolt but, it does not turn with the vent, nor does it come right off like a normal washer.
Is there something to the design of this that I'm unaware of?
Has anyone else removed the vent on one of these that understands what I'm running into?
Thanks for any insight,
Bryan
Yes this is very common. When the globe/mica is already off the lantern like yours, I just remove the burner, vent and all from the lantern. Then it's easier to work with. What has happened is the vent bushing has wedged itself onto the rusted vent stud. A good penetrating oil will help, but once the burner is off the lantern you can more easily tap it from beneath.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

And I’d recommend you remove the generator first before you try to spin the burner assembly off. Looks like a Q77 gen that could be centered in the burner, but don’t risk tweaking it.
Cole M.
Jeremy_71

Post by Jeremy_71 »

Vent and bail are off of an AGM. Could be a 3606, 3608, or 100 model. All three had that small blue vent.
Jeremy Mitchell

"If you don't learn something everyday...You have wasted the day" 
my Grandfather

Mil Spec Syndicate #2115
Coleman Blues 243’s #2115