Kero lantern shutdown question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
stoves1234
Serious Colemanaholic

Kero lantern shutdown question

Post by stoves1234 »

I'm a kero rookie, having recently acquired a Coleman 237. The lantern burns like an aircraft landing light. Anyway, I saw a video where a guy advised how to turn off a kero lantern. He said to release all of the fount pressure before closing the valve. He claimed that would drain the kero from the gen, and that kero left in the gen when the lantern is preheated the next time is what causes much of the gunk in a kero generator. Even though kero isn't as volatile as CF I'm leery about cracking the fuel cap when the lantern's burning.
Jim
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Kero lantern shutdown question

Post by JimL »

I can't imagine it making a significant difference letting the pressure off before closing the valve since you'll still have some kero vaporizing from the heat. If you rebuild your own generators, it's a moot point. If you don't, now would be a good time to learn.

Opening the fuel cap to relieve pressure and put out the lantern is no big deal if it's running straight kero. Look at the Euro kero brassie stoves: You pump them up to increase the flame and relieve pressure to lower the flame.

If you ever add CF to your kero or run one on straight CF, don't open the fuel cap to relieve pressure while the lantern is running. I have to remember to never do this with my 639 because when I'm out of kero like I am now, I refill with CF.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

Yea turn the big black knob clockwise till it stops, wait for the light to good off. Simple.
John        
(-"

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #3704 559
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Lamps or lanterns, I shut down then relieve pressure and open the valve to let the kero drain back into the fount, nothing like a kero mess all over, plus I have so many, I drain the kero out after each use, so this gets all the kero out of the system. You can so as mentioned to relieve pressure first, same results.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

What John said.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
CaptainFantastic
Administrator
Title: Coleman Helvetica (CH)

Post by CaptainFantastic »

I open the filler cap to relieve the pressure and don't touch the valve leaving that open too. I've found that closing the valve, even after relieving the pressure, and having the lantern in changing temperatures will mean kero leaks from the gen tip.
I have to remember to close the valve before pumping up next time otherwise it's a mess...
Ian - Looking for these dates 7/82, 7/92, 8/93, 9/03, 11/05, 5/17
ICCC #1480 | ICCC co-webmaster
Elbonian Support Staff for CCF
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

I just shut it off at the valve. There's enough heat in there that continues to vaporize kerosene, enough so in my experience that I haven't had any messes as a result. YMMV I guess?
Michael - ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure or chat on the Coleman Discord
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I just shut them off at the valve and watch them fade out. I like some kero in the generator during preheat. I crack the valve for a second just to let the air out of the generator. At near sea level, my lamps light off on their own during preheat and when I see them come to like I just open the valve again.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Interesting concept; I have a mixed opinion.
On the "pros', that's exactly how a "Primus" kerosene stove works, and in the lantern world a 241A works this way (no valve).
On the other hand, I have a hard time envisioning that a gravity drain of fuel from the generator is more efficient than burning away remaining vaporized fuel from the generator with a closed valve (I have no science to back this up); you literally watch the remaining fuel burn away.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
Old Cat

Post by Old Cat »

I’ve experienced no problems shutting the kerosene lanterns off at the valve. I always wait 4-5 minutes for all fuel to vaporize and burn off from the generator before releasing pressure. The reason for the waiting period is I run a 25-75 percent Coleman fuel/kerosene mixture, and I don’t like fireballs.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

I do both ways, no issues here.
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

If a shutdown ritual is needed, how about depressurizing the tank, then turn the cleaning lever up so the remaining vaporizing fuel in the generator pushes the remaining fuel out of the bottom of the generator and back into the tank.
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

stoves1234 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:34 am I'm a kero rookie, having recently acquired a Coleman 237. The lantern burns like an aircraft landing light. Anyway, I saw a video where a guy advised how to turn off a kero lantern. He said to release all of the fount pressure before closing the valve. He claimed that would drain the kero from the gen, and that kero left in the gen when the lantern is preheated the next time is what causes much of the gunk in a kero generator. Even though kero isn't as volatile as CF I'm leery about cracking the fuel cap when the lantern's burning.
He's right about kero draining from the gen when relieving pressure with valve opened.
Anyway, the residual kero's gonna be vaporized from the gen even if turn off the valve and shut it down the usual way.
By the way, most Euro kero lanterns like the Petromax and clones are normally shut down by relieving pressure from the fount. It makes no difference in the amount of gunk to be found at the end.