removing rust off painted fount

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
allidoisfish

removing rust off painted fount

Post by allidoisfish »

what are my options for removing rust of the paint on a fount without ruining the paint?
Chucker

Re: removing rust off painted fount

Post by Chucker »

Can it even be done?

I have had limited success with using alcohol and a soft cloth but too much and the paint will slowly disappear too.

Not sure if something like EvapoRust will hurt the paint.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

What's the rust to paint ratio? Probably an impossible task.

Plus, if you don't 100% get all the rust, it'll keep creeping on you. Start thinking about a strip, sanding, and repaint.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

After you get rid of the rust, how do you plan to coat the now-bare steel? I've never had good luck getting new paint to match old paint.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

There was someone on the Coleman repair group on FB that had success using a product called "metal rescue" that removed rust but did very little to the paint. I have never used it so I can't provide a first hand experience there, but the photos looked good.

Personally I use a little naval jelly in spots and a nylon brush with good success, though it is never perfect. I then use VHT clear engine enamel. I don't know how this will hold up for years to come but it's been my quick fix so I can keep on using a lantern that's leaving a paint trial.
Old Cat

Post by Old Cat »

Volvoguy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:41 am

Personally I use a little naval jelly in spots and a nylon brush with good success, though it is never perfect. I then use VHT clear engine enamel. I don't know how this will hold up for years to come but it's been my quick fix so I can keep on using a lantern that's leaving a paint trial.
Try the above first. If I don’t like it, then strip and repaint. Just my thought.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I think Metal Rescue is like EvapoRust which is a chelator that binds iron oxide (rust). In my use of EvapoRust does not remove paint unless it is flaking or cracked with rust below.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I had good luck dunking entire painted founts into Evapo-rust until I didn't... The last one I did turned an E fount OD green... Was cool looking, but not what I wanted 😁 I blamed it on using old ER that was full of impurities... 🤷‍♂️
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

This can be a little tricky or might not even be practical.
The main problem isn't the rust but the paint. Most of the original old paints aren't as tough or chemically resistant as modern coatings. Even weak acids like vinegar and citric can slowly penetrate the already compromised paint due to the presence of porosities left behind by degraded binders. These acids can further soften or even lift the paint as well as reacting with and discoloring the exposed pigments.
If there isn't much too loose and the fount or paint finish isn't that rare, just give it a soak in molasses for a week or two. At the end of it, you should be able weaken most of the rust which, by then, hopefully, be easy enough to remove with a paint brush.
Molasses is mild enough not to react much with the paint but still capable of some chelating actions with iron oxide.
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

allidoisfish wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:41 pm what are my options for removing rust of the paint on a fount without ruining the paint?
Your question along with subsequent answers caused me to delve deeper for a method that supposedly doesn't harm paint wth the exception of that in an unstable "flaky" condition.
In that search I've had to consider the suggestion of molasses/water, and found this link in the chelation for rust removal article I read.
I have an early fount that I have now decided to use this method on due to an advanced deteriorated condition since the method is listed as the "mildest method", at least in the original article that included the Youtube video link.
Great question by the way. It added to my understanding, and I appreciate the "tool/process" it added to my mental tool box!
Bryan
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I've had pretty good luck with oxalic acid to remove rust from painted founts.

Here's a 500 fount i did with it:

I used soapy water to remove most of the dirt and grime first. there was considerable rust around the area where the collar rests.

After a couple of hours in oxalic acid solution:

The paint looks dull and chalky. Color seems bleached out.

But, after a quick wipe-down with mineral spirits and a coat of wax:

It looks fine. I don't recall the concentration of acid solution I used, but it seems a tablespoon per quart of warm water is close. I have had this solution alter the color of some paints, so it's best to test on the fount bottom before committing the entire fount to it.

The fount is brass. The rust was stains from the steel collar rusting. I have used this to remove rust from painted steel founts. Works just as well.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
10gage
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 10gage »

I’ve never done it to a lantern but have used it on my suburban to pull out iron impurities from the paint. You spray it done and watch the iron rust run down. Wash and polish and wax

James gage sizemore
milspec syndicate #1941
slant savers #68
quicklite crew#43
Coleman blues 243s #167