Help with 220B pump removal.

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
MitchellC

Help with 220B pump removal.

Post by MitchellC »

First off, this is a 220B right? The manufacture date is 7-38. I’ve got it nearly completely disassembled. The only thing I have left to do is remove the pump, but it’s rusted and seized up. I’ve tried to unscrew it with my leatherman pliers, but it won’t budge. Any tips on how to get it out? Also, I’m having trouble getting the eccentric block out. It’s stuck in. How do you remove it from the tip cleaner?

Last edited by MitchellC on Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huntaholic

Re: Help with 220B pump removal.

Post by Huntaholic »

Id heat it, but thats just me and Im not advising you to do that. LOL my buddies say I like the torch too much!
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I’ve tried to unscrew it with my leatherman pliers, but it won’t budge."

Harbor Freight or similar is your friend.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

You're trying to remove the pump cap? Or pump air stem? Careful with heat in this area as things are soft soldered together.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
MitchellC

Post by MitchellC »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 pm You're trying to remove the pump cap? Or pump air stem? Careful with heat in this area as things are soft soldered together.
The pump cap. The air stem is unscrewing fine. It’s the old screw on pump cap that I can’t get off.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

MitchellC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:25 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 pm You're trying to remove the pump cap? Or pump air stem? Careful with heat in this area as things are soft soldered together.
The pump cap. The air stem is unscrewing fine. It’s the old screw on pump cap that I can’t get off.
Try wrapping some leather around the cap and using a good gripping set of pliers to remove it... Again the pump tube is soft soldered in so don't over torque it... Some light taps might help break it free also... The steel has probably rusted and jammed itself against the brass pump tube threads... You'll get it 👍
ICCC #1939
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

It is a 228B model.
Cole M.
:geek:
RonMack
Colemanaholic

Post by RonMack »

Try PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Sometimes patience is the best worker. You don't wont to damage the cap or the fount threads if you can help it. And yes, it looks like a 228B. I'm not sure how long you have enjoyed this hobby. When I first started I destroyed a couple of lanterns.
Ron    ICCC # 1770

Forget the map and the GPS. "I know where we are!!!!

Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0174 BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #020 MilSpecOps #0032 
Coleman Slant Saver #45
gootsch

Post by gootsch »

My trick is apply penetrant to the offending object, then wrap it with a stout piece of leather and put a stout hose clamp around the leather and tighten as much as possible making sure that the leather is not too long, then take an 8 ounce hammer and rap the hose clamp a few times and then apply more penetrant to it, let it sit overnight and rap it again the next day. Repeat until successful. No plier marks.
Gootsch
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Rapping it with a wooden handle, screwdriver, penetrating oil helps too. Usually heat applied helps immensely.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
MotorcycleDan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Yea, looking at your second photo, it is rusted on. Put on some PB Blaster and let it soak. Every time you walk by, give it another shot. Wrap it in leather or a thick rag and some channel locks should get it off. If it does not to pop off, it will need more PB and another day of soaking. It will come off.
Dan ICCC #900
222, 226, 229, 3022 Collector
ICCC Treasure
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Heat. If have a bit of solder, put a tiny chunk up against pump tube so you can if it starts to melt. Then leather and some gripping tool. It will come.

Why remove the eccentric?
Keith
MitchellC

Post by MitchellC »

Majicwrench wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:44 pm Heat. If have a bit of solder, put a tiny chunk up against pump tube so you can if it starts to melt. Then leather and some gripping tool. It will come.

Why remove the eccentric?
The eccentric block is pretty worn and doesn’t move up and down very well. It still functions, but it almost gets stuck in a couple places as I turn the tip cleaner stem. I was just going to replace it while I have the lantern disassembled. I got the pump cap off though. All it took was a little PB Blaster.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Just back the tip cleaner off a ways and the eccentric will lift out. They often get burred up and don't always lift out smoothly but take a bit of effort. I clean em up with a file
Keith
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Pull your fuel/air tube from the valve. The early B models had an eccentric that is removed from the bottom, not the top. I'm not sure when they changed this.
Rob
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

rob_pontius wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:43 am Pull your fuel/air tube from the valve. The early B models had an eccentric that is removed from the bottom, not the top. I'm not sure when they changed this.
Rob

I’m not sure the exact timeframe of the long eccentric block but I’m pretty sure that isn’t one.

The long blocks are easy to spot when you have a couple of examples to review!

This is an example of the early one. LEB

Thank you!
Kevin

(The Dude from Rottenchester)

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

After awhile, you can work on points for style!

ICCC # 1865
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I've personally never seen a long eccentric past 1931. They were not used long.
ICCC #1939
MitchellC

Post by MitchellC »

After looking at the eccentric block closely, I think it’s not coming out because it’s mushroomed a little bit where the tip cleaner stem pushes it up. After soaking it in vinegar and spraying it with carb cleaner though, it’s working just fine. No more sticking.
Lines
Colemanaholic

Post by Lines »

Sounds like things are working in your favor MitchellC.
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Any 10/59 lantern or fount.