EvapoRust fails me

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

EvapoRust fails me

Post by Phredd »

I’ve been a long time advocate for EvapoRust. I use it all the time in my eternal battle with rust for lots of my old tools and Coleman stuff.

A few days ago I was cleaning up a 1960 500A. The topside of the plate at the bottom of the frame had a bunch of rusty spots, most were quarter size, but one was bigger. After a bit of work with a Dremel wire brush I realized there was some deep pitting. So I dunked it in a EV bath overnight.

Next day took it out and rinsed it in the sink and…..crap city… almost all of the paint just sloughed off. What the heck.?? I have put lots of fonts in EV In the past and never had this problem….

I must admit I’d never done this to a 500A frame. Maybe it’s the silver colored paint, or the fact that gets heated and cooled during repeated use?

So I had to repaint it using three coats of VHT Flameproof silver. I really should have left this alone…

As they say, live and learn.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Old Cat

Re: EvapoRust fails me

Post by Old Cat »

Sorry to here that Kevin, but glad you shared your discovery. I had a similar outcome w/1959 200. The difference was that I used Ospho. The coating on the air tube came off and exposed the brass. I left it because I liked the brass look.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
D421
Super Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Interesting. I had a 200a last week that had some kind of silver paint on it. I'm pretty sure it was put on by the PO.

It also had just a little rust, so into the evapo rust. After a pretty short time all the silver paint was gone, even in the nooks and crannies. Unlike you I was happy to get rid of the paint.

I have found evapo rust to be safe on other paints, but others here say they have ha problems.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

That sucks, Kevin. I experienced the same with Evaporust and both the 500 and 500A frame plates, so I know exactly how you feel. :(

It doesn't take long either--you would have had to check it very frequently to avoid that. I ended up painting one with VHT flame-proof flat aluminum, but the color and sparkly finish just didn't look right--so I stripped it off. I'm keeping my eyes open and fingers crossed for a good match the original silver. I might clear it since it looks better the color of bare metal.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I agree that the VHT aluminum is not the best match. They make a flat silver that I think is a bit better, but still not the same.

They also make a flameproof Satin Clear. But I’ve found that it can get a bit yellowish after curing. I’ve put it on 220 frames that I want to not paint and not rust.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
gootsch

Post by gootsch »

I striped a rusty 201 fount last spring with Evaporust and a brass brush. The paint came off nicely and the fount repainted well as a good user.
Gootsch
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Kevin, I've had Evaporust take paint off of several different items including an Aladdin thermos bottle. I just assume that the paint will be damaged when I use it.

Dan, Not surprising that Ospho stripped the plating, it is just a diluted phosphoric acid. Great for converting rust to a less reactive form of rust but I'm not sure I'd use it on plated or brass components.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Cottage_hill_bill wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:54 am Kevin, I've had Evaporust take paint off of several different items including an Aladdin thermos bottle. I just assume that the paint will be damaged when I use it.

Dan, Not surprising that Ospho stripped the plating, it is just a diluted phosphoric acid. Great for converting rust to a less reactive form of rust but I'm not sure I'd use it on plated or brass components.
Reese
Interesting, I have been using Rust 911 on nickel for a couple months.
No issues at all but my understanding is it will eat later plating.
My first use was on a late 1800's wick street lamp and it worked great
It works well but will eat a zinc lighting door in a mica globe.
Thank you!
Kevin

(The Dude from Rottenchester)

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

After awhile, you can work on points for style!

ICCC # 1865
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Same with vinegar and a 500 and a Sears lantern frame.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I think the real issue is some of the paints Coleman used. Some hold up, some don't... Box stove paint is particularly delicate, lantern fount paint seem a little more durable.

I did a KK 3 stove trying to save the paint, and the paint held up great, unfortunately there just wasn't much left...

I know a lot of other guys that use Evaporust on both tools and tool boxes, and generally have good success.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

There will always be risks of damaging old paints no matter how safe or mild a product might be.
The fact is, old paints that has been exposed to the elements over long periods of time will, to varying extents, be somewhat compromised. The binding resins are no longer as impervious as when they were new. There're bound to be much more microscopic cracks, pores and veins that had formed over the years.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Evaporust. Even if you soak an old painted fount in water for long enough, the paint would certainly start to soften, swell and lift.