need help identifying this lamp

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
clc54

need help identifying this lamp

Post by clc54 »

I picked up this lamp the other day and it has me stumped on manufacturing date. It's been around a few years, so perhaps some parts have been swapped out. I doesn't have any stamping on the font that I can see. Here's a few pictures that may help the lamp experts point me in the right direction.
Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
Clyde

Clyde L. Cross
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: need help identifying this lamp

Post by Tgarner01 »

Mid 1922 - early 24 CQ lamp. 1922 was the last year for the short fount tall handle CQ and was the first year for the tall fount short handle CQ like yours. 1924 would bring a double patent stamp air tube, third gen mixing chamber and eventually later in the year the first date stamps. Yours does not have these features.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
clc54

Post by clc54 »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 am Mid 1922 - early 24 CQ lamp. 1922 was the last year for the short fount tall handle CQ and was the first year for the tall fount short handle CQ like yours. 1924 would bring a double patent stamp air tube, third gen mixing chamber and eventually later in the year the first date stamps. Yours does not have these features.
Thanks Toby,
I was confused by no stamping on the handle and the bakelite valve wheel. This is the oldest lamp/lantern I've got and it seems to be in pretty good shape, so I'm anxious to get started getting it running and maybe a little clean & shine.
Thanks again, you're the "Lamp Man"
Clyde L. Cross
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

clc54 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:31 am
Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 am Mid 1922 - early 24 CQ lamp. 1922 was the last year for the short fount tall handle CQ and was the first year for the tall fount short handle CQ like yours. 1924 would bring a double patent stamp air tube, third gen mixing chamber and eventually later in the year the first date stamps. Yours does not have these features.
Thanks Toby,
I was confused by no stamping on the handle and the bakelite valve wheel. This is the oldest lamp/lantern I've got and it seems to be in pretty good shape, so I'm anxious to get started getting it running and maybe a little clean & shine.
No so sure about that 😁 You bring up a good point on the valve wheel. Yours would've originally had a fiber valve wheel with an A,B, or C stamp. The bakelite wheel would not have come into play until 1928. These were commonly replaced for a number of reasons.
ICCC #1939
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 am
Thanks Toby,
No so sure about that 😁 You bring up a good point on the valve wheel. Yours would've originally had a fiber valve wheel with an A,B, or C stamp. The bakelite wheel would not have come into play until 1928. These were commonly replaced for a number of reasons.
I've also got a CQ that has all the features of a '24 but with a bakelite knob. Also assume it was a service replacement.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

its a CQ , the C stood for the size n shape of the fount , the Q was because it used a Q Burner , originaly a Q burner used a Q99 generator , your showing a later R55 replacment generator .
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

ecblanks wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:29 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 am
Thanks Toby,
I've also got a CQ that has all the features of a '24 but with a bakelite knob. Also assume it was a service replacement.
Carlton when a valve packing leaks, these fiber wheels seem to soak up the fuel before they ignite... Then are difficult to get put out, especially from someone a little afraid of fire.. the bakelite holds up much better to nearby flames it seems... Also just like today, when the packing started weeping folks probably just replaced the whole stem instead of snugging up the existing one... My thoughts anyhow 🤷‍♂️
ICCC #1939
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Makes sense.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
clc54

Post by clc54 »

SteveRetherford wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:40 pm its a CQ , the C stood for the size n shape of the fount , the Q was because it used a Q Burner , originaly a Q burner used a Q99 generator , your showing a later R55 replacment generator .
Thanks Steve,
I think this one has had some parts replaced over the years. It seems to be solid and I believe will make a good lamp when I get it running.
Clyde L. Cross