Kerosene; Keeping Water Out

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

Forget the dinky little filters. Make your own using a large 4 inch funnel with your felt pad, then use the small Coleman to fill the lanterns and stoves. Or if your lucky you can find one of the large Coleman filters. Not sure of the number but they are huge
Jan

Mitakiuye Oyasin " All My Relations"
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

The water comes (condenses) from the air above the fuel. You can minimize it by keeping the tank as full as possible, minimizing the air in the tank. (fount).
I realize this is all but impossible in a Coleman fount, as there is some airspace built in for pressurizing purposes, But the water does come from the air. They have the same problem with fuel in airplane tanks. So they advise keeping the tanks as full as possible to minimize the airspace and the content of water vapor that will condense. Kerosene and alchohol also have an affinity for water and will draw it out of the air. 100% pure alchohol becomes 99% pure when you expose it to atmoshphere, It mixes with water but will draw it out of the air.
Sealing the bottom of the fount with POR 15 US tank sealer will provide a barrier (if done right) that does not allow water to penetrate to the metal. But it must be a thick, well primed coat.
Good luck
Dan

Dan
ICCC member #604
BCosby

Post by BCosby »

Martin,
I hear that you can use gas tank sealer on wick lanterns to seal pinholes. I have two older Little Wizards that I need to do this on. I plan on getting a small sealing kit this summer and try it out.
"Exceptional Engineering is easily outdone by the Exceptional Idiot"
-Looking for any 6/67-
BCosby

Post by BCosby »

I'm calling the Graybar here in town tomorrow to see if I can get some Glyptal. Sounds like really good stuff. Do you think evapo rust would work to clean the tank?

-Looking for any 6/67-
Lamp_Doctor

Post by Lamp_Doctor »

To check for water in bottom of lanterns or lamps I use the plastic metho fill bottle with the brass tube used for filling the pre heater cup in kero lanterns .Just pull the brass tube out further tip lamp on side put brass tube into filler hole making sure the end touches the bottom sqeeze the bottle and let the pressure of the bottle and what is in the bottom of the tank fuel or water will fill the bottle .If its fuel then there is no water present.
Thats the easy way out. Hope that helps .
BOB
Lamp Doctor Bob  likes the smell of burning kero inside house in BIG TILLEYS.
Its better than taking drugs and cheaper.
BCosby

Post by BCosby »

I checked with the Graybar Electrical supply house and they had glyptal priced for $31 a can.
Doug. Can you still get it for around $10? If so, I could pay you the price plus shipping.
-Looking for any 6/67-
Kevin
Colemanaholic

Post by Kevin »

There is also a product called KREEM. Used to seal motorcycle gas tanks. Any motorcycle shop should have it. Have did a few fonts with it. I think that it works well. $30 or so for the 1 QT kit. It's still solid in my bike gas tanks, did 25 years ago.