DIY Thorium detector (ion chamber)

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

My transistors came today so I put together a simple ion chamber to see if it worked. It works pretty well considering it is mostly a coffee can, Darlington transistor, HF multimeter, 9v battery, and some wires. In the pix below you can see gold top mantles (and butterfly mantles) stayed at the background value of 20-25mv. The Aladdin #200 mantles had a reading of ~470mv, so I suspect they contain Thorium. Pretty simple setup if you can solder electrical components.

ion1.jpg
ion2.jpg
ion4.jpg
ion5.jpg
ion6.jpg
CraterEddie

Post by CraterEddie »

That's a neat project, thanks for posting.
I had wondered about the Chinese Butterfly mantles since they are so bright, although the listings do say "non radiative".
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Schematic? I can't quite make out the tangle of wires.

Looks like a cool project for an afternoon.

Do you put the mantles inside the can? Thorium is mainly an alpha emitter, so I'd think the can and lid would block almost all of them.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

Yes, a schematic would be great. I also love to see that someone else builds electronic projects with scraps of old telephone wire, too! ?
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
CraterEddie

Post by CraterEddie »

This looks like a good resource:

http://www.techlib.com/science/ion.html
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Below is the schematic and there is some youtube stuff (and google) on making these. I just put the mantles inside the can and put the lid on to keep the air in so it will reach an equilibrium ionization state for a better reading. I'm going to make a more compact version with a thin membrane (saran wrap) over the face to see how well it works for putting it over things. I used an inexpensive MPSA13 Darlington transistor from ebay. I've got some MPSA14 transistors on the way that might have twice the gain, but the MPSA13 seems to work just fine for this. Per writeups of others, the 4.7k resistor is just for short protection if you touch the wrong things together, so it may not actually be needed if you are careful. A simple project to answer some of the "Thorium" questions about various mantles.

simpleion.gif
simpleion2.gif
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Cool! Thanks!
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Darlingtons will triple in cost in the next week! ?

Cool project!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Cool!
Got to trust anyone who keeps a Schrader Valve tool on their bench.
Bob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

[QUOTE username=outlawmws userid=4669281 postid=1309477763]Darlingtons will triple in cost in the next week! 😂

Cool project!
So, up to about $0.45 each?
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Very interesting project, ZK, thanks for the pictures.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Might be an opportunity for OCP to develop a basic DIY science education kit consisting of a transistor, a resistor, and a "radioactive" lantern mantle. The mantles are the hardest part to come by. Or maybe include a bonus transistor and resistor with orders over a certain amount for the "enthusiast". ?
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I was looking at the schematic, and since the tin can is "hot", I can see where the resistor makes sense.

Since this is radiation we are talking about I assume you could test mantles still in the package?

I need to find my transistor and IC collection, I bet I have a Darlington or three somewhere... (Usually all I need are resistors, caps and LEDs - those I keep handy...)
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Since this is radiation we are talking about I assume you could test mantles still in the package?"

You can, but the reading will be significantly lower. Two Aladdin mantles in the package will only raise the reading from something like 10 to 40 (but you should be able to detect a noticeable change in the reading). two Aladdin mantles out of the package can read 400+. I imagine the plastic package blocks most of the alpha particles, with maybe only beta particles from the alpha decay daughter products getting thru. With Radio Shack gone, getting electronic parts in timely manor without a lot of shipping cost can be a challenge. If you just have the transistor, you can assemble the detector without the resistor, and then check for a short using the multimeter in the resistance/continuity mode on the leads that connect to the battery.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

I checked a Golden Anchor mantle and an Egret 300/400CP mantle. The Golden Anchor was only about 12mv (background), but the Egret produced around 200mv of activity. I just looked on ebay and somebody has been selling them BIN for 60 for $39.99. The person has a picture of a radiological readout from a measuring device. Might be good for the larger single mantle lanterns, but I don't know their overall quality and have not tried them.

egret1.jpg
philbotha
Colemanaholic

Post by philbotha »

A Darlington Pair is just two ordinary transistors wired together that way. It multiplies the current gain of the two transistors, meaning it is a very sensitive current amplifier. The tiny current through the ionised air (caused by the radiation of the mantles) to the base of the darlington is multiplied and measured at the collector by the meter set to the milliamps (microamps?) range. Et voila, a radiation detector.

Good for a relative or go-no-go test. It will be very susceptible to moisture in the air and to any sources of electrical interference.
-Phil

Favourites: 238A B/41, 238B 6/50, Petromax 816 lamp, Petromax 827 lantern, Primus 1020, 1060, 1001, 995 lamp, Radius 108, Optimus 1200, 246B 5/41 241A 5/52, Veritas Gloria lamp 1922, Gloria Oxo-Gas 1913 The Evening Star 1924 lamp, The Evening Star 1922 lantern, Sunflame 104(US), Sunflame 106(UK), Bialaddin 300X,TL10, BR49, PL53,
Stoves: Coleman 425B, Primus 96, 523, 535, Optimus 111, Radius 43, Speedmaster 500 D/38

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0181 The only one in Africa?
Coleman Blue's 243's. registration #133 (the fourth known 243K)