243A question

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
mgrest

243A question

Post by mgrest »

Hello guys and gals,
Merry Christmas to everyone. I haven't posted in awhile but see that everyone is doing well. Nice new BBS forum we have here. Thanks to both Frank and Murff for their hard work.

Anyway, I was talking to my good friend Don "The Junkman" Burchell the other day about check valves in the 243A's I was not that familiar with them and found one hanging in the garage. The fount had been repainted gold and the vent was chipped. After messing with the check valve for a bit Don told be these were originally a sort of Navy Blue color. I checked and the fount had been stripped prior to the gold paint, but did find that the vent is green. It has the small 24x's series fount with small filer cap and the typical frame. th4e frame rest says 243A. The vent had the same type of button on the top that fits into a hollowed out nut type of fitting on the top of the frame.

From the pics you can see it was made in December of 1940, the button in the vent and the model on the frame rest. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this is. The Green book says the 243A's were Blue. I can't find anything else that has a vent like this.

Lets see if this works;
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/mgrest/243A/

Mike
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

243A question

Post by SteveRetherford »

Mike , in addition , the 243 never used that style of button or reciever to hold down the vent , only the 242 Jr. did . the 243 burner cage should be steel and not brass ( i cant tell what yours is ? ) , it apears to be two lanterns made into one . your lantern also shows the little Hex screw i have been querious about in another recent thread .

Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
mgrest

243A question

Post by mgrest »

Thanks for the information guys,

I also checked out the collections and saw the 242 Jr in Bob Meyers collection. I agree this lantern must be a combination of 2 or more lanterns. I plan on getting it cleaned up and working sometime. As beat up as it is it will probably be one of the better burning lanterns I have. My first refurb was an old beat up Christmas lantern found in a old barn. It still looks beat up but puts out some blinding light.

Thanks again,

Mike
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

243A question

Post by Dmacp »

Mike-
I have both a 243 and a 243A. They used hat shaped vents similar to a single mantle AGM. My 243 has the button on top of the burner like the 242. Well, I don't have a 242, but based on what Steve is saying it sounds similar. It is a hex head screw with a round (spherical) protrusion on top that fits through a hole in the vent. The vent just sits on it, the bail holds the vent in place. The 243A has a stud like the later 242C.

I'm too cheap to have a photobucket account, but shoot me an email and I'll send a picture. OBTW, the vent on the 243 is blue, same as the fount, and on the 243A the fount is the same color, but the vent is either black or very dark midnight blue. Hard to tell which. Very dark though.

Dan

Dan
ICCC member #604
Nevada_Ed
Administrator

243A question

Post by Nevada_Ed »

Dan, send me a picture of it and I will get it in the thread, I want to see it too!

-Ed-

Ed

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Jim_l
Super Colemanaholic

243A question

Post by Jim_l »

Dan, don't know if you are joking about being too cheap to have a photobucket account or not but I use the free version. It works fine. Jim

Matthew 5:16: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Jim-- Coleman Blues Member #014
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

243A question

Post by Dmacp »

OK Guys
You got me on that one. Too cheap? maybe I meant too lazy.
Ed, thanks, Picture in progress
Dan
Dan
ICCC member #604
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

243A question

Post by Dmacp »

Interesting. Ebay auction 270322505847 shows a 243A with the same arrangement, except the protrusion is barrel shaped (cylindrical) instead of spherical like mine. Thanks Ed for the help with the pictures. Hope they don't take up too much space.
dan
Dan
ICCC member #604