Home made fount vise

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Using a vise with a large wrench clamped in it, I’ve never met a valve that I couldn’t get out of a fount. The toughest one I ever met was a 220B that eventually gave in to that set-up and a pair of grippy gloves bought for the purpose. But along the way I’ve bent a few tip cleaner housings, so I’ve been wanting to make a fount vise ever since seeing one posted here a few years ago. I can’t take full credit for this, someone else [Sam!] came up with it. I've never been able to find the post, but I remembered the basic idea and set about reinventing the details.

Supply list:

⅝” [16mm] plywood, 10½” x 8 or 9”, x 2 [205mm x 270mm]
2 - 12” x ⅜” threaded rods [300mm x 8mm(?)]
2 - ⅜” wing nuts [sized to fit threaded rod]
2 - ⅜” nuts [sized to fit threaded rod]
6 - ⅜” washers [sized to fit threaded rod]
2 - 2” x ¼” bolts [50mm x 6mm?]
2 - ¼” threaded inserts
1½” wood screws [40mm?]

This assumes you have some woodworking skills. I didn’t take pictures until I was finished, so I'm hoping that between the description and the photos you'll get the idea. Sorry to the non-United Statesians out there, I use nothing but the metric system at school, but at home, I measure as Home Depot does. [I've tried to add metric conversions, but I'm not familiar with the hardware that is available in other countries. I'm sure you'll be able to improvise.]

I started with ⅝” [16mm] Baltic birch and cut two identical pieces about 10½” x 8”. I planned to go wider, but forgot and had to make it a little tighter. No big deal, really.

On the table saw, I set up a ⅜” dado and cut slots, 3/16” deep, lengthwise, centered about ½” from the edge of both pieces. This makes a channel for the threaded rods.

I centered a 220 fount on one piece so that it was about 1¼” from one end, and traced the outline. I cut that in half across the center of the circle, then cut out the outline of the fount on the jigsaw. Unfortunately, I suck at using that machine because I lose focus too easily, but it didn’t come out too badly. A little touch-up with a drum sander bit on the drill press cleaned it up reasonably well.

I cut the bottom piece crossways about 2” from one end. I then assembled and glued the upper and lower pieces to make what is shown here:

I put it back together and drilled a ¼” hole all the way through the top and bottom for the hold-down clamps. (My thought was that these would keep the two pieces from buckling under stress, but this probably isn't necessary because of the threaded rod. They could be changed to lag screws and be used to clamp the vise to a benchtop.) I drilled another about an inch closer to the fount hole on the top only, then cut a slot to join them. (I got lazy and didn’t feel up to putting a router to the task for such a small job.) You can picture that in the photo above and below.

Using 2” x ¼” bolts and a washer, I cranked them into the threaded inserts on the bottom and pulled them up into the bottom of the vise. (I had to drill a slightly larger hole for the threaded inserts.) The bolts are a little long, I may cut them down some. Wing nuts would be better here, but I didn’t have any on hand.

I cut a block of double-thick plywood to fit across the bottom of the vice, drilled pilot holes for 1½” wood screws, and glued/screwed it down. (See above photo) This gives a vise something to grab onto. If I was to make another one, I would cut a dado slot for the clamp bar to help brace it against the strain of trying to get the valve loose. If you don’t own a vise, you can leave the clamp bar off and use wood clamps to clamp the vise to a bench. I believe that was how the original version worked.

Cut two strips of sheet rubber (I used an old bicycle inner tube), and lay the strips around the fount before tightening to help the vise grip and to protect the fount.

To put it to use, clamp the bottom bar in a vise, loosen the wing nuts, loosen the clamp-down bolts a bit, open the jaw and slide a fount in. Tighten the wing nuts, then tighten the clamp-down nuts finger tight, then finish tightening the fount. Tighten the clamp-down bolts before proceeding.

I thought about making another for a 200A size lantern, but realized that I could modify this one to work with smaller founts also. I took the half-round remnants from the original round cut, put them back in place (this is where a slightly jagged cut is a good thing), then centered and traced a 200A fount. I re-cut the scrap pieces, and now I have a 200A fount vise. If it’s a little loose, more rubber sheet around the fount could help to take up the slack.

I could make another insert for a 242 fount, but...

I can’t guarantee that this won’t scratch or otherwise mar the paint on a fount, but it could be handy for your less than pristine specimens. The pay-off for using this is that you don’t have to risk tweaking the tip cleaner housing, or dumping fuel all over if you don’t want to empty the fount and the fuel cap leaks, and you can actually see what you’re doing as you’re doing it. There's probably less risk of bending the top of the fount if you put uneven pressure on it while turning too.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Home made fount vise

Post by Gasman64 »

That looks really good, John. Thanks for all the pictures, they are very helpful.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
Deanofid

Home made fount vise

Post by Deanofid »

Nice work on a super handy tool any Coleman nut would be glad to have.
Well done, John!
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Home made fount vise

Post by brucesheehe »

A good man with a sharp brain at work!
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Rocinron
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by Rocinron »

Thanks John, for a really cool tool and pictorial.

Can I ask the approximate cost ?

Ron
Ron
Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity-two weeks from everywhere!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0085
If it makes fire, and light, and heat....
ICCC # 1336
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #067

Carsten

Home made fount vise

Post by Carsten »

Hi John,

very well made! Interesting idea, now i have to make one by myself.

Best regards Carsten
Coleman Collector Germany ICCC Member #1245
curlyjoe_99
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by curlyjoe_99 »

Good Job.

I like that the whole thing would fit into a shop table vise if you wanted it to
Robert (AKA Curly)-- Heart-of-Texas! "Keep 'Em Working"  
MILSPEC_OPS & 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #9999

In Search of (ISO): evidence of a 220/228 series lantern dated 2/63    

dbosch
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by dbosch »

I wanna see pics of the equipment you used to make it.
Dan B.  ICCC #100
The Texas Dust Bowl

Faith is not about everything turning out okay; faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
Darren

Home made fount vise

Post by Darren »

Well done!
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Thanks for the kudos! Since Carsten reminded me that we have a world-wide audience, I've tried to add metric measurements to help. I'm sure anyone who is at all competent with woodworking doesn't need measurements anyway, but there it is.

The cost for me was mostly in the hardware. It couldn't be more than $10 for the threaded rod and wing nuts. The rest I had laying around. I bought a bunch of pieces of Baltic birch at Rockler a long time ago for making jigs and such. They've often got odd pieces left over from a factory run or something. It's ten times better than the crappy plywood available at Home Depot and Lowes. Those were 22" x 21.5" and they cost about $4-$5 each. I could almost make three of these from one sheet.

Dan, I might be able to get a picture of the 1954 Delta Unisaw if I took all of the (lightweight - not heavy) junk off the top of it, but you know what those look like! Otherwise, a basic Craftsman benchtop drill press and a small Delta? jigsaw...oh, and a Craftsman sliding miter saw.
Carsten

Home made fount vise

Post by Carsten »

Hi,

...Since Carsten reminded me that we have a world-wide audience, I've tried to add metric measurements to help...

that help´s! Thank you so much!

Best regards Carsten
Coleman Collector Germany ICCC Member #1245
DoogieB

Home made fount vise

Post by DoogieB »

Nice job! Looks like a fun afternoon project that I'll have to put on the list.
dbosch
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by dbosch »

Dan, I might be able to get a picture of the 1954 Delta Unisaw if I took all of the (lightweight - not heavy) junk off the top of it, but you know what those look like!

Yessir, know it well. I've got plans for all of mine at the end of summer when the weather gets cooler and the kids are back in school. Coleman will take a back seat for the other fetish, working with old cast iron and making some kitchen cabinets.
Dan B.  ICCC #100
The Texas Dust Bowl

Faith is not about everything turning out okay; faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by hurricaner »

John, here is one I posted a few years back. Same basic idea but not quite as fancy as I just drilled through the oak and used 1/4 20 rod.
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

That's where I got the idea! I never saved the thread and I searched for that a number of times later on, but it got deleted long ago. How did you drill those holes so straight? That's why mine is more complicated, I couldn't figure out how to drill the holes lengthwise with enough accuracy to make them line up.
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

What you could do is screw the back piece to the bench, make the slots on the front piece, then screw it to the bench through the slots so that it is adjustable, and use a 12" long bar clamp to gently squeeze the other half toward the attached half.
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Playing around on Sketch-up... This is Huckleberry's idea drawn out. This design could also be attached to a board and clamped to the bench instead of being screwed in, making it portable and stowable (see the next post).

5 inches = 127 mm
6 inches = 153 mm
9 inches = 229 mm

StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Like so...now with dimensions. This would be for those who don't have a drill press to make the channel for the threaded rod as in Sam's original version. This could be done like mine at the top, with channels and threaded rods, and then clamped to the bench if you don't have a vise to clamp it in.

5 inches = 127 mm
6 inches = 153 mm
9 inches = 229 mm
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by hurricaner »

StanDahl wrote: That's where I got the idea! I never saved the thread and I searched for that a number of times later on, but it got deleted long ago. How did you drill those holes so straight? That's why mine is more complicated, I couldn't figure out how to drill the holes lengthwise with enough accuracy to make them line up.
I don't remember exactly how I did it but obviously you need a drill press, as I recall it was no big thing. The other thing you have to remember is I used 1/4 20 rod which is a lot smaller than 3/8s which would be really tough to do.

Sam
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by RolandChevalier »

Great write up John. I bet that set up will get a lot of use.
Roleman Coleman - SAY NO TO "NO LETTER"
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

I posted this without ever actually putting it to use. Today I used it to reassemble a nice painted 220, and it worked beautifully. Being able to adjust the tip cleaner with the lantern upright was a life-changing experience. Not having to flip the lantern over, fight with the bail and the loose frame, not having to keep checking to make sure I've got the tip cleaner housing where I want it...not worrying about bending the tip cleaner housing... it was wonderful. And, not a scratch or rub on the paint either. The collar seems much less likely to dig into the paint of the fount too. You may keep telling yourself that you're getting along fine without one, and if you're only rebuilding 200A's and 242's, you are getting along fine. But if you do 220/228's regularly, YOU NEED A FOUNT VISE!!
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Hi Erik, welcome to the forum! The 419 is just about my favorite stove, and I've got a ton of stoves.

I like this vise. It occurred to me that if you didn't have a drill press, you could just run the top piece (where the allthread holes would be) over the table saw a couple of times (or with a dado head. maybe just a hair over the diameter wide, and the same deep. the rod doesn't care whether it's in a square hole or round.

That's how I did mine up top.
FlyingCoach2

Home made fount vise

Post by FlyingCoach2 »

Would it be possible to get this posted to the files section so that its not lost for others to have available.
John
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.  Ben Franklin

Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate member #0134
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Here are some approximate dimensions for the top vise. A 220 fount is 6" in diameter, that is the important one.

1¼" = 32 mm
1½" = 38 mm
2" = 51 mm
3¼" = 83mm
3¾" = 95 mm
6" = 153 mm
6¼" = 159 mm
8¼" = 210 mm
8½" = 216 mm
gdissinger

Home made fount vise

Post by gdissinger »

I had some scrap wood and cobbled this together using your plans. It works well, the rubber holds tight without scratching or denting. Thanks for the detailed post:

Glenn - Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member # 0070
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

Glad to see someone got some use out of this.
242burner
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by 242burner »

Be very very careful with those fount vises. You can tweak the fount, or remove the paint on the bottom lip. Also use a T bar to pull the valve. The socket or wrench will put force on one side and dent the top of the fount when removing.

Nice one though. You have some good wood working skills.
1928 L-220 "Slant" from Russ
1919 Air-O from Jerry
500 Speedmaster

StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by StanDahl »

I have found far less chance of damaging a fount with this than when using a wrench in a vise. That is a very awkward set-up and makes it much more likely to bend the tip cleaner housing opening, and scratch the paint with the collar being smashed into the fount as the frame grabs it.

Like I said in post 26, absolutely not a smudge on the fount when used with the inner tube "gasket". A t-bar would be nice, but I don't own one. What would it grab on to? Would it use a modified socket, cut out on the sides?
Steven

Home made fount vise

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the info on making these jigs. I made one for 220 size lanterns and one for 200s today and have already tried them out. AWSOME! !!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by outlawmws »

With all due respect to Stan's great work on the vise, I always clamped the valve in the vise and turned the fount... Now I haven't done that many, and one required a rubber strap wrench from the kitchen, but for occasional use, it works..

Having said that. I'm likely to make one of those since it looks like I'm doing a lot more lantern work in the future!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Miller Light

Home made fount vise

Post by Miller Light »

I use a Rockwell Jawhorse Rockwell RK9003 JawHorse Material Support and Saw ... - Amazon.com This unit really grabs what you need to hold, and folds away for compact storage. Just be careful, the Jawhorse is strong and can easily dent a fount.
All my lanterns are stenciled "CW''
Sometimes the fountain of knowledge flows from the mouths of long neck bottles.
Born to lose. Live to win. Lemmy Kilmister
Miles.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by outlawmws »

Bringing up and old thread is not always a bad thing; so long as it's not a dead topic.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Kevin
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by Kevin »

Old threads are fine with me. It's usually something interesting that I forgot about anyway. [smile]

I'll probably never have a real tank vice. I just use the "vice" method.
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by Northman49 »

outlawmws wrote:

That's not always a bad thing; so long as it's not a dead topic!

Is resurrecting an old thread upsetting to some people?. Just don't read it. I enjoy them, it's like a refresher course.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by outlawmws »

Northman49 wrote:

Is resurrecting an old thread upsetting to some people?. Just don't read it. I enjoy them, it's like a refresher course.

When it get silly is when someone answers a question from several years before (and the thread ended back than) that was already answered (meaning they didn't read the thread).

I'm pretty new here, but another forum I hang out on a lot gets them quite often like the above scenario. I don't think I've seen one of those here so far.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

macwacs
Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by macwacs »

If it was mine I would glue a thin strip of felt on to it where the lamp would make contact then see if I could scratch the paint. Just a thought though as I have neither a lamp or gismo vice.
RMW
NW Lady

Home made fount vise

Post by NW Lady »

what a great tool!

Some really smart inventive people out there!

Brilliant! as the Brits might say.
"May the Blessings you receive each day be the Blessings you need most"..Traditional Irish Blessing
fuel_brained
Serious Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by fuel_brained »

could this vice also be used for removing and installing a check valve?
Pastor Jeff
God said "Let there be light" so He let His Son shine.
SoCal and Lovin' It. Desert Rat Division
US Navy Submarine Cold War Veteran
MilSpec Ops #1960 "Feel the Roar"
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Home made fount vise

Post by outlawmws »

It could certainly help keep the fount more stable.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Home made fount vise

Post by Gasman64 »

fuel brained wrote: could this vice also be used for removing and installing a check valve?
Yes, it would come in handy for that. Do you know about the tool our host sells?
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=2179&cat=26&page=1
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania