Model R reading lamp

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by SteveRetherford »

i think there were lots of UPDATED parts to the model R as time went on , we have to remember this is early in colemans history . like things wer'nt perfected yet ? not just performance wise but in easier / simpler production methods . like the later fuel cap using a much easier/simpler to use hand pump ect. . in all coleman models i like to look for these upgrades as time went on .

you might also notice there is a small hole in the base of the mixing chamber here , not exactly sure what its for ? but it shoots a small spot of of the heated gas to one of the mantles , you can see it here in Roland's mixing chamber . kinda makes it look like you have hole in the mantle when burning .

it may just be to empty a flooded mixing chamber ? i think that pretty likely ???

[2014%2003%20Mar%2017%20-%20006a_zpsvqfx5ryf]
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

fired one up again last night , after it was warmed up n burning good , i pumped it up some more and and it got very BRIGHT !!!

Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

You have a vase of flowers in your workshop. Now, that's class!
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

just sorta challenging myself i made a repo model R air tube a couple days ago , as this one had a hole drilled thru it for an electrocution job . came out pretty good , wish i had like one more thread at the one end but i think it would work as is , just playing around as i dont NEED this piece , its just an extra part i have .

not seen in the photo is the air reducer inside the tube , its just a press fit . i was able to get it out with a few taps of the hammer on a rod . when they drilled the hole they also drilled thru the reducer , but in its new place that wont effect the performance as its the inner diameter that is reduced . just tapped it back into the new tube after a little cleanup with a hand file . im pretty amateurish with my metal working skills .

Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

Steve, your work on the repro air tube looks just grand! Good job, from where I sit.
<th>
HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

Sure looks good to me Steve!
Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

more test firing and had a couple of set backs last night :-( fired up the lamp with the repo gas tip last night , and even after pumping the dickens out of it it wasent that bright . so i adjust the air intake till it was closed and back to fully open and it didnt make a whole lot of difference , but when i would open n close the valve shaft i saw there was one " just right " spot it got pretty bright , open further it got dim , closed to much it got dim ......Hmmmmmm thinking maybe i need to clean the valve one more time , things just didnt really make sense , so i go to shut it down and the valve wheel just kept spinning .

wholy COW did i just strip the valve or valve shaft ????

No , i get inside the house where i had better lighting and figured out the valve wheel i had J-B welded back on the shaft had let go when i closed the valve . the wheel is spinning on the shaft . this valve n valve wheel are above the burner and really really get hot when lit . im thinking JB weld doesn't like that much heat and may have to go back to a Quick lite replacment valve wheel here . or come up with some other glue idea .... i thought JB weld would have held , now in considering that CRAZY stuff :-)

il give the valve another cleaning and prick the tip a few times still trying to get this one to run as bright as the other , this is just part of the "Trial n error" period , il keep at it till i get it right !!!!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

tried to get this today but only came in second place . its been converted to quick lite , but i saw a few parts on it i wanted . its cool on its own as this is what folks did with em back in the day . wish i had bid a little more ...

[$_57]
smarti
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by smarti »

I was at work when it ended, so I didn't even mess with it. Seeing what others find, and I have found, I am more and more inclined to just hunt and hope in the wild than resort to ebay.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

i had a little set back with one of the R's , one just wasent as bright as the other . swapped gas tips proved it was something with the tip , so i took it off the lamp found an old used (bad idea ) 220 style generator pricker and pricked the tip , it didnt go all the way thru to see the wire sticking out the other end so i pushed a little harder . when i pulled it back out the wire was gone and stuck in the orafice , i tried all kinds of things trying to get that wire out but nothing worked .
i wanted to scream and cry [sAng_scream][sSa_cry4] it was a very very bad day .

i talked to Dean to see if he can fix it , he says he will give it a try and so i sent it off to Idaho ....... about a week later i get it back with a NEW orifice in it :-) to confirm the tip was clear i used BRAND new .0006 wire to prick the tip , i pulled about a 1 foot section thru the tip just to be sure . put the lamp back together and BAM we have light again . i then pumped it up quite a bit more and it just got brighter n brighter as i pumped . so i am now confident both lamps are in good working order . i just cant thank Dean enough !!!! what an asset to the CCF , OCP and our hobby . without him i would still be screaming and crying over that mishap . he is a master machinist !!!

still looking for a better shade holder for this one but at least its working again :-)

went to Graingers earlier that day and grabbed one of there 4000 page catalogs .

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

its been a frustrating 24 hours here , CCF member Glenn "Gasprescue " pointed me to a BIN possible model R lamp shade on the bay yesterday , i sent 3 requests for dimensions yesterday with no posative size sent back , so once again this morning i ask , and i finally heard back what i was hoping for so i did the buy it now just a few seconds ago ...... here it is ..... il be on pins n needles for a wile here ........thanks BIG TIME Glenn !!!

the members here are so help-full .........

[$_57]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

4 7/8 inch across the top lip and 10 inch bottom . has to be the 4 7/8 inch to fit inside the 5 inch shade holder .
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Ah, quite [sSig_welcome4] Steve! I will not forget when you sent me the KERO stencil that you made me after finding that machine some 8 ? years ago
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

anticipation mounting , tracking shows out for today's delivery :-) but nervous as heck too . Hey Uh Patty can run to the store for a wile :-) i hate explaining myself when another Coleman package arrives , AGAIN !!!

to keep the shade safe i had the seller ship the shade in a seperate box , so there's are gona be two big boxes showing up . she isnt very understanding since she lost her job a couple months ago .
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

its here and still in one piece :-) this newest one is like half the weight of the first one but the exact same dimensions and fits perfectly , im so happy !!!

as you may know the first shade i accidentally damaged by having those shade holder set screws too snugg , after a warm up things expanded and i heard a TINK , a portion of the lip broke off ... so now my best model R is complete and all original with a perfect shade hanging off it again ....... still need a shade holder for number 2 now , i do have a good lead on one but have to be patient ...... happy day here !!!

Cant Thank Glenn enough for the heads up !!!
Nevada_Ed
Administrator

Model R reading lamp

Post by Nevada_Ed »

Gees, should this post be moved to Tech Assist, or put in Collections? What do you want it in Steve?

Ed

Ed

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

maybe we should get rid of the "look what the cat drug in " part too . and just call it " Coleman Model R Reading lamp info " ? either catagory is fine with me . i dont think where it is now in Just Bull its open for the public to see ? just us members . im still not done with this thread and like to add new info as time goes on .
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Hey Glenn , this was the very first stencil i made with that machine :-)

Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

I'm happy that you got it, Steve!

[anim_65]
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Awesome Steve. Happy for you

I remember the GASHOLE [funny]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Happy Day here , a model R lamp shade holder has been located by OCP Cigar Mike ......so excited to see this OTHER model R coming together ...... cant wait for it to arrive ....... BIG Thanks Mike !!!

oldairmech

Model R reading lamp

Post by oldairmech »

More awesome news Steve, congratulations
Lem ICCC 1039
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #572
MilSpecOps #0020
Sears Slut #1 Canadian Blues #20
Coleman Blues # 82
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Happy Day , this just came in today , its not installed yet but looky there !!! that is the model R lamp shade holder i been waiting for to finish up #2 model R lamp here :-) il post it pic of it once its installed , been busy as can be today .. bottom right corner .

[DCP_2646_zpsmqklqdhg]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

have a look at this shade holder , i have never seen anything as stress cracked as this piece , i like looking at it now that i have a replacment :-) its just such a mystery how that one looks like this and the other two look fine ..... BUT its an unmarked shade holder , wile the two nicer ones and a Pats pending stamped into them , i do think there is a third version of this shade holder with even more stamping on it .... not sure of the order they were produced

shure looks a lot better now !!! i havent mounted the shade on it yet as im missing one of the three screws that holds the shade secure , i have a screw that kinda fits but it a sloppy fit , so il go down to ace hardware tomorrow and hope i can find something close ..... its really coming together fast now ...

rangler
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by rangler »

You are rocking on those model R's...I bet that one holder was made by AGM...ha
---Randall----ICCC member #1143---
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Oh yeah, that shade holder is in great shape Steve. Way to go.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

i havent been to Ace yet but i see a light fixture on the back porch here , you know the kind that uses the 3 screws to hold the globe/jar over the light bulb , well its a perfect fit n thread match , still need to go to ace and get a screw for the Patio light now :-)
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Ace didnt have the knurled lamp screws in 6/32 - 1/2 inch long , all they had were 8/32's ....but i found these on ebay for pretty cheap . it apears most early lamps used the 6/32 but modern lamps all use the 8/32 size . here is what i have coming , i only need one but they sell em in sets of 3 . the original model R screws are nickel plated but look very similar .

they call em knurled lamp screws .
[$_57]
friarmike

Model R reading lamp

Post by friarmike »

good to know I think thats the size I need for my Bright light. Well I just checked ya #6 but there finer like by 40 I may have to make them.
air cooled vw master mechanic 275 Appreciation and Mil-SpecOps  Syndicate Member #0087
Friarmike 
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

friarmike

Model R reading lamp

Post by friarmike »

could be I couldn't tell if it is a #6 or #5 I don't have a #5 tap to check so that is worth a shot thanks.
air cooled vw master mechanic 275 Appreciation and Mil-SpecOps  Syndicate Member #0087
Friarmike 
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

got the new shade holder screws yesterday .

So , here is where im at now , 2 complete and working model R's , left n right .

the one in the center is still a project , Kameron / oleageye there is your smoke bell on this one , Thanks again !!! . dont know if or when il find enough parts to complete that one too but a guy can hope :-) ...... lots of CCF folks helped make these happen ....cant thank you guys enough !!!

these are the pinnacle of my lamp collection !!!

barely got this picture taken and i could hear the next round of rain coming .

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Tim , do you still have this hand pump ? i need one badly :-)
[9AF1BB38-291C-4F20-87BC-577D8A3E116A]
HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

Steve, I still have that pump and really would like to hang on to it for the day that I also have a Reading Lamp. I did see a pump the other day that looks like it might work for you if you would be interested.

Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

thanks , forgot you had n R Tim or just didnt know , i see several on the bay that i think might work as well , one is AGM for sure , but im on the hunt for a coleman screw in pump like yours if you ever find another .

wile on the hunt i saw these and couldnt help my self and hit the button , but thats not what i was looking for , hardly ever actually find what im looking for LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151791071921?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by Majicwrench »

I've got a pump with that little threaded end, Ill take a look at it tonight.
Keith
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by RolandChevalier »

A plain old Coleman pump will work just fine. I use one all the time with my Model R.
Roleman Coleman - SAY NO TO "NO LETTER"
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

well, i took a chance n purchased this off the bay for a reasonable price ....it screws perfectly into one of my model R fuel cap air stems here , the other the threads are too worn or stripped to hold it good ..buts its a super nice fit on the other , never noticed those threads were bad before .. well worth the risk i think ......Terry's site shows it might be an AGM pump ??? its big like the HGP size . nice nickel too its gona clean up real nice , its stamped "pat app for " on the nozle end ... i have to run to a job but il show another pic later with it screwed in . this is just the ebay pic .

[$_57]
HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

I found the same pump on the way home from the convention this summer, but it has a different tip on it. Mine has no nickel so I polished the brassand am repainting the handle.

Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

OK , im back , here is a pic of it screwed into the model R fuel cap , it fits just perfectly .... it also comes with a little adapter so i can also fill tires i think , i havent tried that part yet but it sure pumps air thru the fuel cap nicely ..... im still looking for a coleman screw in pump but this will hold me over till that time comes ...... i stole this pump BIN 8 bucks pluss shipping :-) :-) :-) this looks just like it did when it arrived i havent even cleaned it yet , its in super nice shape !!! they called it a vintage sports ball pump :-)

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Both Tim's agm pump and my most recent one are both shown here on Terry's site , but i find the info about my style to be maybe wrong as it is threaded on the end but could also be used with a hose atachment ...

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/pumpsad.html
HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

I'm glad you found that pump. Now I don't feel so guilty keeping mine! [smile]
Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

please dont feel any guilt Tim , i didnt know you found yourself an R and needed one too . lets see your R now ?
HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

Steve:

I don't have one yet but hope to find one before too long at a price I can afford. I had to pass on the one at the convention as it was too steep for me after I had already bought about all I could stand. I just don't want to give up hope so soon, because as soon as I let the pump go I will find the lamp and need it. You know how that goes!
Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Oh , well if you want an R then send me the pump that will speed things up LOL i just fun'n ya Tim :-)