Model R reading lamp

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by RolandChevalier »

Nice Steve! Looks like you should end up with a brass handle version and fibre handle version? That would be most awesome.
Roleman Coleman - SAY NO TO "NO LETTER"
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Good work Steve! I know you are excited. You polished the one in the center today?
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by SteveRetherford »

ya , pretty excited here !!! but the one in the middle was the first and oldest one i got . it had a lot of rust inside and in cleaning it it developed a pin hole , but since it looks so nice from the outside i do plan on trying to seal it . all 3 of these founts are different , two have cork feet , one has the coleman badge soldered to the bottom , one has no feet . two fiber handles and one nickel handle . i think there was lots of parts modifications along the way in the factory . no two alike here .

and just so others know , a quick lite lantern valve shaft fits right in with no real modification for those who are missing there valve wheel . thats how i added missing wheels for both the valve and the shade holder here . i do have the original wheels but the big one is broken off and the little one is in good shape but the shaft is broken , so im working on trying to press the wheel off and on to another valve shaft ..... gatherd tools for that last night , just been to chicken to hit on it today :-)
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

I found an "R" fount w/ nickel handle for a few bucks at the flea. Hole in the bottom. It has the fuel cap/valve
funfishing

Model R reading lamp

Post by funfishing »

This is truly an amazing thread. Hope to see all three burning soon I am excited for you at this point. Also I think everyones interest in the model R has gone up just because of you haha
Scott
How many people here have telekinetic powers?   Raise my hand.
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Nothing less than a Mission!!
Lilorpetro
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by Lilorpetro »

Well Steve.......congrats, at last. Some time ago you said you did have an incomplete R lamp, now it turns out you got two and a half. You must feel like over the moon. Will try completing my own R now.

/Conny
Conny
Mantleburner64

Model R reading lamp

Post by Mantleburner64 »

Keep going Steve you are getting closer. All the fun is making it work.
John
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

baby steps , taking my time with some of these issues .

scared to death i tried something and it worked , the shaft to hold the shade holder on the model R lamp uses a very small valve wheel . one of my lamps was missing the wheel , and the other shaft had the wheel but the shaft was broken off about an inch short .... i contemplated this for a few days , and finally went for it . knocked the wheel of the one and tapped it into the good shaft . wish it would go on just a bit deeper but i was having to hit it pretty hard so i stopped before i jacked something up .......im calling it a success !!!

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Dylan , this is what your missing on yours . sorry its such a bad photo , il keep trying for a better pic .

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

something i forgot to mention here is , on all the model R's i have seen the valve wheels are in backwards ( i know there not backwards as its how coleman did it) but there reversed compared to all other valve wheels i have seen with the brass hex part showing towards the front instead of the the round brass ring , so thats how i did it too , just looks odd after seeing so many quick lite and air o lites done the oposite way .

[20080617_333029]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

here is something else i just noticed , i thought it was just a plyers mark but with my good readers on i can clearly see this model R gas tip is stamped with a number 1 on it .......similar to how a Q99 gas tip is stamped Q .

GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Model R on the left & Model C (R) Q on the right. Found the fount and handle/fuel tube at the flea for like $3 and put a CQ burner and 306 shade. There is a hole the size of a half dollar rusted thru on the bottom

[Coleman%20R%20amp%20CRQ%20Reading%20Lamps_zpswkgogltr]
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Steve, is that your lamp in the "Coleman Study" pic? Looks great!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Glenn , sorry no , i just googled looking for a pic showing the hex part on the wheel . my photos usually suck !!!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

this is a closed thread i started some years back , i looked it up cuz it just didnt sink in very good how to read a micrometer , i remember a few of you guys helping me out here in the past . im taking a refresher course today :-)

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/tip-cleaner-wire-diameter-5007405?highlight=calipers&pid=1266506036#post1266506036
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

not like many of you need to be removing and re installing valve wheels like i did here . but this pic is how i did it . i put the shaft in the valve body when re installing the wheel as i didnt want to damage the tip end as i was tapping the wheel back on .

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

cross your fingers for me :-)
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

[crossed%20fingers_zpsznj1db2f]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

i finally have the first one up n running [sHa_yes2]

as if i were at the Academy of Coleman Awards i have to give thanks to many of the CCF members here .
a big shout out to
Darren Pruitt
Will Nelle
Greg Diehl
Dylan Bowers
Honerable mentions include
Mel Taylor
Glenn Knapke
Roland Chevalier
Smitty
Mike Merz
Dean Williams
and many others .

as none of this would have happened without you guys , im eternally grateful for all your help n continued support here !!! the next one isnt too far behind :-)
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

now it took a bit more pre heat that i expected before it settled down , i was a bit nervous sticking a propane torch up inside the the burner so close to the lamp shade . after it lit i had to keep the torch there for another minute or so before all was well . my blood was really pumping , im sure there was some adrenaline in the mix . so so happy to see this fired up . only issue was on shut down i noticed the small shade holder wheel was smoking a bit as i had just oiled it yesterday to darken it up , i wont do that again as it gets pretty hot there . then when i went to shut off the main valve it was like stuck , i had to turn it pretty hard to make it turn , i was using the original packing in the packing nut as it turned pretty easy cold n sealed good , i may want to put in a new packing as i think that was the issue but not absolutly certain just yet , still to hot to inspect . im all smiles here !!!!
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Awesome Steve!! I know how elated you are [sSig_woohoo2]
Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

Way cool, Steve!
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

[sSig_woohoo2][sSig_youtheman] Way to go Steve, you did it man!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

check this out , remember when i posted this pic of a little check valve at the base of the model R generator , i couldnt figure out why it was there , and still dont . after the lamp had cooled off i opened the fuel cap to let the pressure escape before i attempted to see why the valve wheel got so stiff , i had completly taken the fuel cap off the lamp yet when i open the valve wheel its releasing pressurized gas that is held between this check valve and the valve . i dont really think this check valve seems necessary yet i wonder what its purpose is , i probobly dont understand something that may be important ? its not like any other coleman i have worked on .....you guys have any ideas ???

like maybe so it holds some fuel in the generator for the preheat ?

this pic was when i first took it apart , its nice n clean now .

[DCP_1778_zpse70d0a29]
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

I remember that Phil offered a really neat explanation for the valve, but Ill be damned if I can remember what he said. [sEm_blush8]
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

UH OH , figured out why the valve shaft was hard to turn after warm up i could see a spot on the valve shaft where it looked like it was rubbing as it was shiney in this one spot , i just used some emery cloth on the shaft there , then some steel wool and put it back together and the shaft feels super smooth so im gona do another test fire .
pump it up REAL good ( i think that was a mistake ) get the propane torch out and start pre heating , after a bit i crack the valve and it came to lite for a second and then it flared up ( and was getting soot on the shade ) so i keep the torch inside untill it settled down had it burning only for a couple of minutes and i heard a loud " TINK " i know this sound and immediately shut it down . when it cooled off and i take things apart a chunk of the shade had broken off where one of the 3 screws hold it to the shade holder , i want to CRY ............the good thing is if i turn the shade there is still enough neck to be secured by the 3 screws .......in hind sight i think i had it pumped up too much so it had to get real hot to vaperize the fuel under so much pressure and i just got it too hot to handle the heat expansion . makes me think these screws should almost be left loose and not snug , i didnt have em tight but i snugged em till the shade was held firm , im thinking a little loose in the future ....... time for another test fire under LESS presure ..........still crying thou [tissue]
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

OUCH Steve, that really sucks! Sorry to hear that. Hard to tell exactly why the shade broke, but your explanation sounds plausible. I usually just touch the glass then back off a 1/4 turn, just cuz it seems about right. Not sure if this is a good rule, or I've just been lucky so far. One of my No. 74 shades is quite thick, and I've made it my user for that reason. My other two No. 74 opal shades are whisper thin, and I'm afraid to even look at em.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

the neck on this shade had a few little chips in it when i got it , i wonder if i put one of the screws right near a chip might have contributed too . i have it all back together and it still holds the shade just fine ...........keeping my fingers crossed as im gona fire it up again ......

still trying to figure out what this check valve is for ?
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

3 #74's ???
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Don't hate me.. four actually, one is cased green.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

you can see the piece of neck that broke off here . this thing takes more preheat than im used to . it must have been hard trying to lite these with an alcohol dipped torch .

Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that, Steve. I'd be inclined to try a nice epoxy job on that with
JB weld. It's already broken out, so it won't hurt the shade value, right? Also it will be
hidden under the bell and it may give it a little more support, just in case.

On shades like that, or any kind that used the three screws to hold a shade to a lamp, my
dad always used to say just screw them in enough to touch, then back off two just a bit
so the glass could "move".
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

made some burner tubes , repaired the air tube , and cleaned up a bunch the burner threads . really nice have the right size tap n die to do these things .

GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Aw Bummer on the shade Steve. Sorry man.
oldairmech

Model R reading lamp

Post by oldairmech »

Steve

A big congratulations on getting her fired up, so sad to hear about the globe. So much good information has been generated from this post about these beautiful lamps.

It really is beautiful and you have done and gone to such great lengths to acquire everything to get it in running shape and the gratitude you have shown everyone for whatever assistance they may have provided just speaks volumes about you and this community. While the globe is chipped it still is fully functional and do not let this unfortunate incident reflect poorly on a excellent lamp or your hard work.

I know you will enjoy it for a long time
Lem ICCC 1039
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #572
MilSpecOps #0020
Sears Slut #1 Canadian Blues #20
Coleman Blues # 82
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

more test fireing today . im using a different valve body from the last time and i have reattached the original large valve wheel . it was completly broken away from the valve shaft and has a chunk missing , im still contemplating ways to fill missing chunk . but i went ahead and used JB WELD to reattach the wheel to the shaft . its kinda tricky getting it a perfect 90 degrees i just kept eye balling it till it had set up , its pretty darn close . im very happy having both original fiber wheels on this lamp now so its all original ( the other lamp i have substitute quick lite valve wheels ) ... before the JB weld set up i used acetone on a Q-tip to clean up the excess so the JB weld isnt even really noticeable from the front side .

this valve is also nickel plated (the other valve is plain brass ). on this lamp i have used all the best looking parts . ( i do have a better looking earlier nickel handled fount but it has a pin hole yet to be repaired )

i used some peerless mantles today , i had used some coleman #20 mantles for the first fire tests . im just playing around see what if one is better than the other . one of the peerless mantles when it had puffed up and SET turned and is sitting very close to the generator . il probobly change it just cuz i hate when that happens as it makes it very hard to move the burner without braking mantles .... i meant to turn in the air adjuster and play with that adjustment but it was way to hot to turn by my fingers , il have a screw driver handy next time to turn it in and out next time ..

i keep doing little things as i think of em , as far as coleman goes all my thoughts n focus are still on the model R's ........ it takes way more pre heating than i have ever had to do with any other device before it comes to life . and i lit it this time with no shade on it trying to keep the shade safe as im learning the ins n outs of the R's ....but i wonder if that is part of the long pre heat issue , with the shade on it funnels all the heat up to the burner , with out it and a little breeze here may be why it took so long to preheat , but once burning right it never even flickerd from the breeze . i heard of another person " Dwayne " who used a clip on Tilley pre heater to preheat his model R , i may try that too . i was using a propane torch .

HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

Excellent work Steve! Thanks for doing all your homework on the Model R lamp. One of these days, when I find one, I'm going to know who to call for advice. Yours is looking great!
Tim - ICCC Member #1217
GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Lookin really good Steve. You are substantially sustaining your moniker.
Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

You're making good steady progress, Steve. I love seeing it lit up. [smile]
I remember the first time I saw one of these when I was new on the forum. I couldn't stop
thinking about them back then. Now, I only think of them a couple times a day.
CrazyCamperGreg

Model R reading lamp

Post by CrazyCamperGreg »

I would recommend preheating with the tilley clip on or something like it. Ever since I started to use an old alcohol torch to light my stuff it seems to work faster than a propane torch. I think it has to do with heating up the mixing chamber at the same time as the generator.

It sure looks good though steve! Glad I could help you on your quest!

Your wife called she said ''BUY ALL THE GPA'S YOU WANT'' Trust me....
Looking for 5/79 502,
And 6/08 anything.
Greg
Nevada_Ed
Administrator

Model R reading lamp

Post by Nevada_Ed »

Awesome thread and so interesting to watch the progress, it will need to be moved to the collections section later, or tech assist, your choice.

Ed

Ed

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mel
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by Mel »

Good job, thanks for the updates and progress reports.
Mel Taylor
President of the International Coleman Collectors Club 
ICCC#986
2016 ICCC Convention Host

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

did some more test firing today . here is the updated info . there may be more variation to the founts than this but here is what i see , of the three founts i have all three are different . have a look at the bottoms , i believe the earliest has the cork feet and the coleman badge soldered on (this one also has the nickel handle BUT MAYBE YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE PIN HOLE ? ) , next has the cork feet but no badge and the last one has no badge or cork feet (THESE BOTH HAVE THE BLACK HANDLE ) .

But the real EXCITEMENT is here [sHa_yes2] i asked Deanofid if he could help me out with a 2nd Gas tip as i only had one . Dean Williams is a true craftsman to be able to make up a model R gas tip from a drawing and some measurements i made from the original tip . it took me a few days to make these measurments using a micrometer , i do feel much better aquanted with the micrometer after all this . its just beyond my wildest dreams .

just received the gas tip today so i had to put it to the test . it was very windy here today making my preheat a little more difficult . i had to put the lamps right next to the house to block the wind . Oh , and i used a air o lite lamp fuel cap as it fits the conventional coleman hand pump tip much better , as i have yet to locate a screw in hand pump . this just has me all SMILES inside , feels like ecstasy !!!

using peerless 2C-HC mantles here , its kinda hard to tell in the pic but both lamps are lit , its so sunny outside and using the flash kinda over powered the mantles . i did adjust the air adjuster this time but really couldnt notice any difference . doesnt seem quite as bright as i expected but it may just be cuz its so bright outside today , a night time lite up will show what it can do better ..... Cant Thank You Enough Dean !!!! your tip is in the lamp in the middle here .

to preheat these sure takes a lot longer than i thought , both flared up when i cracked the valve so i shut it off and kept the torch on it , had to do this a few times before it settled down . leaving a little soot inside the shade holder / burner area .

Deanofid

Model R reading lamp

Post by Deanofid »

Steve, your excitement is contagious. [smile]
Glad the tips arrived, and really glad that it gets another lamp running!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

here is another thing i did , for the second lamp i only had one original model R style burner cap (there is no ring to tie on a mantle , the mantle ties directly to the threads on the burner tube above the burner cap . so i made a home made pair of burner tubes . the regular 220 burner caps are the same thread so i used a pair of them here . this puts the mantle lower . with the original burner cap set up the burner cap is almost in the middle of the inside of the mantle . something else i noticed is in the newer style of burner cap when a mantle is tied on it helps flare out the mantle making more round than oblong ? seeing little things like this are just part of the evolution of Coleman improvments over the years .
[DCP_2275_zps7lsvt2gm]

GasPrescue

Model R reading lamp

Post by GasPrescue »

Nice Steve. Nice Dean.

Steve, I like your comparisons. I have the one on the left but the hole in the bottom of mine is much larger from poking my finger thru it when I found it. It has the nickel handle and is also converted upper with CQ. My running lamp is as the center one
RolandChevalier
Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

More great info Steve, thanks for sharing. I was surprised to see machined burner caps as mine appear to be cast.

HillCountry
Serious Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Post by HillCountry »

Looking good Steve! Are those gas tips similar or the same as the one on my Sunshine Safety Model AA lamp? It looks a lot like it from what i remember, but it has been quite a while since I had it apart.
Tim - ICCC Member #1217
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Model R reading lamp

Tim , its a different animal . i tried thou :-)