Red Vent Quicklite ( many images )

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

The mysterious Brimless Red Vent Quicklite. If you ask the most experienced, knowledgeable Coleman Collectors what they can tell you about these red vents they will probably shrug their shoulders and say I can't tell you much if anything. That's because no one seems to know for sure what reason they were red in color, produced in such a small number with no known paper trail for documentation, whether these were produced for forest service lanterns only, or why they didn't continue production? We may never have a definite answer for these questions. Most collectors have not seen one or even know what their unique feature is besides being red in color and not having a brim. These have a white underside and to my knowledge at the time of this writing, eight of these red vents have been found by collectors on Quicklite lanterns not marked USFS-FS or with red painted founts. With details dating them from 1924 through 1927. This time frame is previous to known early Forest Service stamped Quicklite lanterns. So there is a possibility in this collectors mind, or a coincidence of timing that these could have been a forerunner maybe a field or sales sample leading a trail towards not only USFS-FS branded lanterns with these unique red vents and possibly the green white underside 227/228 vents that showed up some months later in 1927-28. Some opinions are these vents could have been transplanted from USFS or FS marked lanterns possibly in repair facilities because those marked lanterns have red founts. I find that thought questionable as Coleman green vents are not original to green founts, they were on nickel founts for several years before that change occurred. I have no information of these red vents found so far of being discovered on later 220 slant or L427 lanterns not marked USFS-FS where a person might expect to find transplanted, surplus, or discontinued color brimless vents and bleed over is very common in Coleman product history. Another opinion is these may have been an aftermarket vent which Coleman did use outside vendors through the years for many parts including vents. Some wonder if these vents were of another company's origin? If you have them side by side and take measurements they are definitely identical to the point they scream Coleman as one collector remarked after seeing the comparison. Yet another possibility is that there may have been a small run of these red and green brimless vents with white underside for trial basis for whatever reason. The story of the red vent white underside brimless Quicklite vent still remains a mystery. If you have any information or own one of these brimless red white underside or a brimless green white underside original Quicklite vent please contact me.

Larry ( coleman 54 ) Hillhouse

This Thread is under construction with more images and info to be added. Hope you enjoy.

First image: undated L327 Larry Hillhouse

Forth image: 6/9 September 1926 427 Kameron Bissell

Fifth image: 5/8 August 1925 L327 Kameron Bissell

Sixth image: 4/7 July 1924 427 Steve Cullins

Eighth image: 7/12 December 1927 L427 Ernie Hiatt

Ninth image: 5/11 November 1925 L327 Tim Murphy

No image: undated Alex Swanson

Tenth image: 7/4 April 1927 L327 David Ternes
Larry

Inquiring Minds Want To Know
MilSpecsOps  #1954  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0124  The Coleman Blues 243's #77  
Coleman Slant Saver #01  Coleman Quick Lite Crew #01 Sears Collectors Club #16 
Goldbond Collector #02  BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #003    Part Time Stovie  Frank Appreciation Syndicate #007
Perfection Collectors #3   ICCC #1412

Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

I wonder why white was used on the underside where it is not visible.
also interesting, the lantern is a 327 and looks US. I don't have a US 327 with a porcelain vent and have not (yet) seen one.
Dan
ICCC member #604
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

Dmacp wrote: I wonder why white was used on the underside where it is not visible.
also interesting, the lantern is a 327 and looks US. I don't have a US 327 with a porcelain vent and have not (yet) seen one.

Hi Dan, it is my understanding white enameled color was used on the underside of vents to help maximize light reflection, this color had been used on other brand vents before Coleman started to advertise the Green enameled 227 conversion vent. The competition also enameled on the outside in other colors. I find Coleman enameled vents show up on 327 and 427 in the same time frame some in late 1926 early 1927 as the nickel vent disappeared. I understand Terry Marsh may have logged some earlier. Only the 227 and 228 were documented to have white underside in this era. These continued throughout the Quickites production around 1940.
Larry

MilSpecsOps  #1954  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0124  The Coleman Blues 243's #77  
Goldbond Collector #02  BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #003    Part Time Stovie  Frank Appreciation Syndicate #007

Mike
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Mike »

Some excellent links, Steve. Thanks for the info!

Mike.
Mike Holain
tonywebber45
Colmanaholic

Post by tonywebber45 »

An interesting article Larry, I had always assumed the red vents had come from an AGM at some time in the lanterns history, this has given me fresh insight, thanks for the information,
Tony.
No honey its not another lamp,just parts for one I already have. ICCC #1479
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Nice post Larry! I saw a guy with a big smile on his face carrying one at a flea market one day. When I got home I tried to look for one to see what it was but I could find no info on it.
ICCC # 1402
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Very interesting and informative. Thanks for helping me learn.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
JRdaSconnie
Colmanaholic

Post by JRdaSconnie »

My father inlaw has one on a 427 that has scratched on service marks on fount base but no other FS markings.
It'll buff out.

Stovies don't need a special group.

Coleman Light Editor

ICCC #1218 John
adelcoro
Super Colemanaholic

Post by adelcoro »

Larry

I remember seeing one at Steve's cabin a few years ago

Very interesting topic

thanks for posting
ICCC 957
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

JRdaSconnie wrote: My father inlaw has one on a 427 that has scratched on service marks on fount base but no other FS markings.

Hi John, thanks for the info , can you tell me the date stamp on that 427?
Larry

nomis1
Super Colemanaholic

Post by nomis1 »

Interesting read. Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Simon
Nevada_Ed
Administrator

Post by Nevada_Ed »

nomis1 wrote: Interesting read. Thanks for the write up and pictures.
I second the above on the good read. Longtime back this same red vent QL topic came up, it seems like they are pretty rare, anyone else with some knowledge should add to this there when they read it.

Ed

Ed

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

JRdaSconnie
Colmanaholic

Post by JRdaSconnie »

coleman54 wrote:

Hi John, thanks for the info , can you tell me the date stamp on that 427?

We have it in the car for the gathering at Jerry's tomorrow. Will post it tomorrow.
It'll buff out.

Coleman Light Editor

ICCC #1218 John
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

JRdaSconnie wrote:

We have it in the car for the gathering at Jerry's tomorrow. Will post it tomorrow.

Ok thanks, hope you all have a great time. I sure would like to be there.
Larry

rangler
Colmanaholic

Post by rangler »

Thanks for this thread. I find it very interesting.

When you say the competition offered the 227 conversion vent in other colors, can you elaborate on that?

The reason I ask is because I found a Sunshine Safety F-125 with the conversion vent in a dark blue version and have always wondered about it's origin.
---Randall----ICCC member #1143---
JRdaSconnie
Colmanaholic

Post by JRdaSconnie »

Date is obscured by plating.
It'll buff out.

Coleman Light Editor

ICCC #1218 John
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

rangler wrote: Thanks for this thread. I find it very interesting.

When you say the competition offered the 227 conversion vent in other colors, can you elaborate on that?

The reason I ask is because I found a Sunshine Safety F-125 with the conversion vent in a dark blue version and have always wondered about it's origin.

Thank you for the nice comment Randall. When I was replying to Dan I was referring to the competition vents having the white underside and also they had enameled the outer in another color before Coleman advertised the 227 conversion white underside enameled green vent in 1927. Coleman had some success with the white underside enameled 334 lamp shade ca.1920-30 so they were certainly up with the time. I have seen your Sunshine Safety blue conversion vent here on the forum with envy. Maybe a few more will be found.
Larry

coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

JRdaSconnie wrote: Date is obscured by plating.

Thank you John for checking.
Larry

scullins

Post by scullins »

I have wondered if these vents were just added into the assembly line after USFS orders were filled . Or perhaps the lanterns transitioned from being embossed and individual forestry services were made responsable for their own crew marks . We know that Coleman never wasted anything .
ICC Member #1056
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

Thank you for all the very nice comments.
Larry