Cleaning a Stubborn Globe

Instructions and How-to from members. Safety posts.
BobA

Post by BobA »

I just finished a 288 lantern that I got locally from Craigslist for $10. Actually got it & a nice 220K for $20. Both restored beautifully with pristine vents and nice finishes. You should've seen the crap that I poured out of that 288 fount though. Jeez! It was a mixture of the Glyptal paint, rust, mud, old solidified 20 year old fuel, and God knows what else. It came out in flakes and clumps - never saw anything like it. Took me two days to get the fount to an acceptable condition inside. They're both burning like a champ now!

Anyhoo, to the point. The 288 came with the nice original "frosted" globe (you know, the one with the vertical white stripes all around). Unfortunately, many of the stripes are stained with sooty fingerprints. I have tried everything I can think of to clean this junk off of the globe, but to no avail. Here is a list of the stuff I have tried to remove these stains:

Soap & Water
Glass Cleaner
Lighter Fluid
Mineral Spirits
Denatured Alcohol
Lacquer Thinner
Acetone
Formula 409
Chlorine Bleach
Gasoline
Coleman Fuel

Even Steel Wool!

These stains stubbornly remain on this otherwise beautiful globe. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I used to think that any stain could be removed. I'm not so sure anymore!

Please help!

BobA

CigarMike
Colmanaholic

Post by CigarMike »

I use oven cleaner on all my globes. It doesn't seem to hurt any lettering or frosted areas. I have good luck cleaning any soot off of them. The only thing it doesn't seem to work on is rust stains. I have had globes inside of very rusty lanterns (usually 220 style) that pick up rust stains from the frame that just won't come off.

NMMike

Post by NMMike »

I use Greased Lightning. I never thought of oven cleaner. Good idea Cigar Mike! Has anyone used CLR?

Light it, don't hide it!!
H_E_S

Post by H_E_S »

Maybe we should adopt the strategy of the antiques road show.

If you cant get the stain out, Just call it patina.

Hercel

Hercel
Not just another pretty face.
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

For really stubborn stains, the kind that just really pi** you off, a hammer works very well!

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

As a last resort-
Mask it carefully and bead blast it.

VBW
Dan MacPherson
Dan
ICCC member #604
Will

Post by Will »

Bob~ I use Westley's Bleche-Wite Whitewall-Blackwall Tire Cleaner on frosted globes. That and some 0000 steel wool works well. Let it soak in for awhile. Hope this helps.

Will
William Bresina
ICCC# 531
Senior Member since Dec.11 2008
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i put a little lime away on em and all that stuff comes right off

[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
kf6ivi

Post by kf6ivi »

TSP you find it in the paint area of hardware store. It is used to clean walls before you paint. Soak the globe in it and the rinse off with clean water. I use this to clean the "glass" on my wood-burning stove, it works great on the the cook on soot.

Ethan
Ethan iccc # 921
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

I use a cleaner that is made for glass fireplace doors, spray it on, rinse it off. Its probably the same as oven cleaner
Jan

Mitakiuye Oyasin " All My Relations"
LP

Post by LP »

For rust, it is Oxalic Acid. I believe that is a component of products like CLR and "Lime Away". I never went looking for Oxalic Acid since I had great success with both CLR and Lime Away. Around here Lime Away is quite a bit cheaper than CLR.

The good thing is patience. Soak the sucker! (like for a week!)

One must always take the high road - all other roads are dead ends.

LP

ICCC Member #846
Kevin
Colmanaholic

Post by Kevin »

On the CLR......I soaked the vent from a P/W made Montgomery Ward lantern in it over night to clean the frame (didn't know at the time that they came apart). The edge of the vent that was sticking out of the solution is still shiny but the rest of it is DULL. Since porcelain is simmilar to glass, a person may not want to soak a globe in it.....at least over night. It cleaned the frame up real well though.

LP

Post by LP »

I wonder if you soaked a globe in it long enough if it would turn out "frosted".
One must always take the high road - all other roads are dead ends.

LP

ICCC Member #846
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

Kevin, same thing happened to me as well
Jan

BobA

Post by BobA »

Well, folks, I finally got the globe clean. I didn't try all the ideas, since I confined myself to the substances I had on hand. What actually worked was a combination of soaking it in citric acid, and scrubbing it with baking soda.

I found out that it wasn't just soot stains on there. I don't know what the other stuff was. It was a tan/brown color but it didn't appear to be rust. It seemed to "soak into" the frost stripes. Very odd. But it looks great now. Thank you all for the great suggestions!

BobA

Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

glad it cleaned up for you Bob, those frosted areas can be a PITA at least you didn't have to use the hammer as Murff suggested
Jan