Amazing restoration story

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Dubblbubbl
Colemanaholic

Amazing restoration story

Post by Dubblbubbl »

While camping last week on lake Hartwell, we had a new to me friend and his wife out for dinner one night. He noticed that I had a 228e on the lantern hanger and told a story of a night crappie fishing trip with his dad and brother when he was young. His dad hooked something heavy that wasn’t putting up much of a fight and thought it was a catfish. Turned out to be a 228e with the globe intact that was snagged in a slot in the collar, just like the one I had. They got this old muddy lantern cleaned up and running and he still has it in his barn.

I’ve seen a plenty of rusty restos on here, but this is the first underwater rescue I’ve heard of. Anyone else have a rescued from the deep story?
Rob in NC
MilSpecOps Syndicate #1962
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1962

Sometimes we are the windshield, Sometimes we are the bug...
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Amazing restoration story

Post by JimL »

That would be one to see the before and after pics!
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Wow that’s crazy! Wouldn’t expect to pull a lantern out of the water.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

That’s pretty good! If I found a lantern in the water I would have to get it running. It would be a mission!

I forget the fella’s handle, but he was here a year or so back. He pulled a Coleman LP-something lantern from the water. Ended up getting it running, too. I realize this contributes basically nothing to this thread...🙃
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

My father used to send us kids diving around the docks in the San Juan Islands looking for outboard motors. It's amazing how many motors get dropped when loading them from the dock to the boat or vice-versa. It's also amazing how many of those motors my father restored to good running condition and sold! He kept the crappiest for our use.
Last edited by Gunhippie on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
firetop

Post by firetop »

A buddy and me were night fishing for crappie once hanging a few lanterns from over hanging branches to attract minnows. There was a big hump in middle of lake that sloped down to deep water pretty quick so I took one of my lantern poles there 10' tall and stuck it in the middle of hump. We would go from one spot to the next fish for 15 minutes or so then move on. On about the second time around the one on the hump was not burning when we got there it was gone pole and all. All we can think of waves knocked it over and it sunk,because no one else was on lake that night. Went back and drug a magnet never could find it. So if someone ever catches a 200 A on Glen Shoals Lake in southern IL. your welcome.
Jay Birthday lanterns 2/56 OR 3/57 ICCC # 1088
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

There was a Coleman advert like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Cool ad Andy!
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
gootsch

Post by gootsch »

I know of a brand new one that got tossed into Alagash Lake in Northern Maine years ago. A short temper and alcohol were involved I imagine knowing the crew. As to it's disposition I don't rickly remember.
Gootsch
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I am fairly sure that members here have stories of pulling lanterns from the depths, some of them still burning.

Never had that luck myself, not sure of what bait to use.
Geoff
Kiwi
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

How well do they work in the rain, or high winds? I know they are "supposed" to, but I haven't tried it.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Have a fount from a lantern the previous owner found in a lake. It hasn't been under water long enough to affect the cage and burner assembly but the po brought it home and hung it in his shed without disassembling anything and it sat with the pump assembly full of water for a long time. I used the top half to complete a bday lantern for a friend and forgot about the old fount. I'm going to see if it holds pressure with an Amish filler cap. If it does I may clean the pump housing our and see if it's serviceable.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

I picked up an Optimus 00 (kero) from and antiques store on the coast a few weekends back. Brass oxidization was so bad it was white and green all over. I swear somebody found it on a deserted beach or an oysterman dug it out of the sound. There was stinky mud in the leg holes. The legs had apparently rusted away a long time ago. Miraculously, the only other steel on this, the pump shaft, was badly pitted but serviceable.
I've got it mostly cleaned up and running.
PXL_20210323_181643395.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Great story!

Actually I do have one. I shared it here probably 10 years ago. It's also the point when I first looked at a lantern as something really cool. This happened around 1976-77 when I was 7ish. We were in our boat catfishing at night near the damn on Lake-o-the-pines in east Texas. Daddy had two lanterns tied to the rope cleats one each end of the boat and hanging over the water. I'm sure you see where this is going. Well I was a kid, wasn't getting any bites though we had only been out for probably less than 15 minutes. So I get to messing with the rope holding the lantern at the rear of the boat and then the unthinkable happens. (My heart starts beating faster to this day when I think about this lol) Yep , the rope got away from me and in the water went the 220f. I whipped my head towards daddy at the front of the boat...he didn't need to ask or even turn around, he knew what just happened and who did it. I seen him shaking his head as he let out a big sigh...He tied a treble hook on a line with a weight and snagged it in the air hole of the pump of all places. My oldest brother was just talking about this the other day as one of those things he would have a hard to believing if he hadn't been there to see it. Daddy put two new mantles on it and it fired right up. I remember thinking, anything that can go to the bottom of the lake, come back up and still works is pretty cool. The next week is when I got my first education on how to maintain a lantern, been hooked on em since pretty much. And I still have that lantern.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
trapper
Colemanaholic

Post by trapper »

Flyboyfwa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:48 am There was a Coleman advert like that.
I remember that add and the commercial with the guy reeling up the lantern and saying there was a crab living in it.