My new Fettle Box!

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
FishNChips

My new Fettle Box!

Post by FishNChips »

Been working out of a plastic tool box with one tray. I realized I needed more organization, and a few less tools in the box! Carry what I need in it, not what I might need.

I found this old Kennedy machinist box at a shop. Not sure the age, but it was dirty, a little damage, rusty, probably a bit too much $, and perfect! It’s a heavy box but I love the drawer system, yet it’s still a small enough box I can carry around.

I fixed the bent corner with a bit of peening, blew it all out and removed some of the felt that was loose, used WD40 and 0000 steel wool to derust and clean. I used some rubber tool box liner to re-line the drawers. I am happy with it, no doubt it will be a ever evolving thing. It will not stay this organized for long.

Matt
Northern California
Tim_Brantley

Re: My new Fettle Box!

Post by Tim_Brantley »

Nice Job, that's a good box.
“You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it.”
Cajuncook1

Post by Cajuncook1 »

I like it 👍 👍
Cheers,

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

:cf_beercheers:
RogerMuller

Post by RogerMuller »

Wow. That’s very nice!!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Nice Kennedy and setup! With square corners, its likely near WWII or before. A close pic if the decal may give more clues as to age if you are interested.

It WILL evolve and maybe be out-grown - depends on what you get into...

My first fettle box was an old metal shotgun cleaning box I half repainted and even foam located the tools, I kept it even after outgrowing it as its great to bring on camp trips for in field repairs.

I added a second for more spare parts, and then an aluminum carry box that holds both of them, my"Cap" Jaws for the vise, and spare parts in the top tray. Later I added a small oak machinists box I picked up from a neighbor at his "moving/retirement" sale. It's a 6 drawer Pilliod, no top compartment, just the drawers. Small and light enough to bring to Coleman get together camp trips.

I'm in planning stage for a case/rack for old aluminum film canisters for the smaller parts...
Last edited by outlawmws on Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

One suggestion for a handy tool - a small butane torch - I use the heck out of mine...

Similar to this:

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Nicely done!
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
FishNChips

Post by FishNChips »

Here is a picture of whats left of the label, I appreciate any help with era on it.

I do have to get a small butane torch and a few other things, mainly spare parts. I have been using a propane torch but the butane would travel easier. I did get a NRV tool which is in one of the cases.

I have a small box with my cleaning and polishing stuff too. Just a wood box I made from birds eye pine years ago. I can see the need for multiple kits.

I am hoping this box can be used around the house, and taken with me to gatherings. I have a small shop outside I have larger tools, a compressor which I use a lot, and a small bench vise. I have been working inside a lot with the summer heat so this is perfect at the kitchen table till it cools down and I can go back up to my den! The AC is broken up there.
Matt
Northern California
lamplighter44
Colemanaholic

Post by lamplighter44 »

That does look like an ideal fettle box.
Lamplighter44

Richard
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Kennedy! Good brand. My grandpa LOVED Kennedy tool boxes. All of the ones he had were Kennedy. He still has his great big fancy tool chest. All wood construction. Truly fascinating
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Nice Matt! Great job on cleaning it up.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Yea, much better now. Cool setup!
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: January 1925 U.S. CQ Lamp
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

That's a nice tool box, congratulations!
There's no tool box info here http://alloy-artifacts.org/ but it's an incredible resource for dating your old hand tools, and what to look for at yard and estate sales
Dan

looking for 1/61, any Coleman lantern
Found 10/95 birthday lantern!
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

I've got a newer version of the same model, but in the silver finish. I believe they're a Model 620. Current MSRP is $428.I got mine 3/4 full of machinist's tools for $20 at a garage sale. I've filled it with my spare GPA parts in the drawers and specialty GPA tools in the top section and now it is borderline too heavy to lift. Common tools, wrenches, torch etc. still on the pegboard in the garage. Be forewarned, like a black hole it will suck in enough tools until you can't pick it up.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

Legs
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Legs »

I have a similar Kennedy chest I've dated to early 1960's. Also shown is my Chapman Coleman Tool set.
P1190087.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let it burn....        
Don... Oregon
USA 236 Syndicate #003  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0126  The Coleman Blue's 243's #097
Coleman Slant Saver 007 Coleman Quick Lite Crew #61  ICC #1438   NRA #147137741
UncleFred
Colemanaholic

Post by UncleFred »

My Kennedy toolbox has two cantilever lids with three trays on each side. The best thing is that it is made of aluminum and weighs a scant 14 pounds including all of my fettling tools.
Everyone's Favorite Uncle
Coleman Leacock 635B721 Alliance #8
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Nice box. Now I'll be looking for something similar at estate sales. Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions and what does it weigh with the tools?
Stewart
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Love those old Kennedys!

But... your 9/16" and 5/8" end wrenches are out of order.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JLush

Post by JLush »

Nice find and perfect fettle box! Those old Kennedy Kits are awesome. I have my Dad's that probably dates back to the late '30s - early '40s that looks very similar. I'll have to check it to see if there's a date anywhere.

https://buykennedy.com/company/history/
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

ICCC #2025
adkbill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by adkbill »

I got a lot of use out of the early-70's version one I had that is similar to yours.
However, since it never left my workbench, I gave it to my brother
when I found this larger two-piece unit that was too good a deal to pass up
Kennedy Tool Box Old vs New 1 25.jpg
Kennedy Tool Box Initial AFTER 25.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill H ICCC #1017
Sears Collectors Club #5
G-mod Syndicate #002
FishNChips

Post by FishNChips »

Nice boxes! Seeing the quality of this I will be watching for another larger one for my work bench. Thanks for the vintage toolsite, I will check that out. I collect old hand tools too and restore hand planes, ect.
TwoCanoes wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:22 pm Nice box. Now I'll be looking for something similar at estate sales. Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions and what does it weigh with the tools?
39 lbs as pictured, 13.5” high, 8.5” deep and 20” long.
Gunhippie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:45 pm But... your 9/16" and 5/8" end wrenches are out of order.
Oh no! Lol, I have just enough OCD to know that I am such a slob, lol. I love organization, I just have trouble maintaining it.
Cottage_hill_bill wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm I got mine 3/4 full of machinist's tools for $20 at a garage sale
Now that’s a deal! I talked the shop down 10 dollars as I was buying a bunch of lanterns too, so got it for 80 dollars. Not a screaming deal but I felt it was fair, and below the Evilbay pricing. The effort put into it makes it mine :D

I fixed up a 242, and am working on a nasty 500 stove right now. I am loving the drawers, so easy to just pull out what I need and put it back, instead of having a jumble of tools. I put the magnetic tray and parts in the lid so nothing gets lost to kids or cats running around. Other than the extra weight it’s pretty amazing.
Matt
Northern California
ibutler

Post by ibutler »

I got a similar beautiful Kennedy toolbox in amazing condition at a flea market for $12.00. What kills me is that he had two of them, and I only bought one. I still kick myself over that one.
deepmarsh

Post by deepmarsh »

I’m impressed with anyone that owns a pair of Knipex
Brett

Blount County, Alabama
FishNChips

Post by FishNChips »

Those Knipex are my favorite! I was using them for fishing reel and bike repairs but they work great on the lanterns, especially on some of the slightly not quite standard or damaged nuts. I use them more than I thought I would! I like quality things.
Matt
Northern California
Chuckfromtexas

Post by Chuckfromtexas »

Alright I’ll show my ignorance again. What are Knipex?
Chuck
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I agree, Kennedy makes top notch boxes! I have 24 Kennedy's, from small carry boxes, to rollers and machinists boxes, even a couple of mids! (hard to find - I was surprised to see Bills!)

The 7 drawer 520's are probably the most common/popular, but the three drawer are very handy as its three deeper drawers.

I had a 10 drawer "classic" Craftsman top mechanics, box, but I got so heavy two strong men could not pick it up to load it in the truck to go to the races... I bought a 2 drawer Kennedy Mid and a 6 drawer Kennedy top in the mechanics lineup and never looked back while I was still into racing. I could manage those by myself. Certainly the smaller 20" tops are good for this use.

One thing I've found odd is the general dismissal of Kennedy by the Auto and aviation mechanics trades. They generally dismiss them if not despise them. Sure, they don't have roller slides and don't have sexy fancy paint jobs, but they also don't cost 5 to 25K!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Chuckfromtexas wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 am Alright I’ll show my ignorance again. What are Knipex?
Knipex males pliers and they are a top notch brand FnCs red handled pliers...
Last edited by outlawmws on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

FishNChips

Post by FishNChips »

Its just a brand name, they make all sort of pliers but are very high quality German made tools. I have the small 6” pliers in the box, smooth jaw and perfectly parallel for nuts. They have channel lock style, needle nose, side cutters, wire cutters, ect. Very nice stuff that works well.

Matt
Northern California
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

See how that jaw has a cantilevered link to the handles? That makes it able to grip WAY more than standard slip joints.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

What a nice addition.
Someday, I'm gonna get something like that. My tools are virtually everywhere around the house except where I would find them.
Knipex is a great German brand. Quality is top-notched.
Chuckfromtexas

Post by Chuckfromtexas »

Thanks for the quick response guys. Those look like a great tool. I’ll have to check into them. Dollar General must not carry them 🤓. Very cool fettle boxes. Mine are a couple of old metal tackle or toolboxes that I painted.
Chuck
stoves1234
Colemanaholic

Post by stoves1234 »

"But... your 9/16" and 5/8" end wrenches are out of order."

Timm, I'll bet that you align the direction disks on your lanterns with a square.
Jim
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Some people don't?
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

See, foam or wrench racks solves this order/alignment "problem":
Shadowing almost there!.jpg
fet kit 2.jpg
:mrgreen:
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

deepmarsh

Post by deepmarsh »

outlawmws wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:06 pm See, foam or wrench racks solves this order/alignment "problem":

Shadowing almost there!.jpg

fet kit 2.jpg

:mrgreen:
What is the splined piece in the bottom left corner?
Brett

Blount County, Alabama
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Ratcheting screwdriver. Nice pieces if you can find them.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
FishNChips

Post by FishNChips »

I have a couple of those that take the bits, they are great. The Milwakee screwdrivers in my box (small one and larger one covered by another screw driver) ratchet as well. You turn the black collar to control the direction. They are fantastic, I think they are easier on screws too as you can maintain your purchase and just keep twisting.
Matt
Northern California
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

deepmarsh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:17 am What is the splined piece in the bottom left corner?
Gunhippie wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:19 am Ratcheting screwdriver. Nice pieces if you can find them.
Yep, They were sold under several different names. The middle one is "Ratcheting Versatool" and the black one had a "motor supply company" name out of Joplin. I've seen 3 and 4 blade versions; The other two are 1/4" hex drive as FnC mentioned. This is about half my collection of them. invariably they seem rough when I get them, but a few drops of MMO, into the works and they ratchet like new.
Ratcheting Versatool.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half]