Found a couple dandys today

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Ferroplasm

Found a couple dandys today

Post by Ferroplasm »

My son is in cub scouts and his pack camped with the troop last weekend. The older scouts and their leaders all used Coleman lanterns (propane) for light at their respective campsites and this evoked some nostalgia in me for non-electric light. So I hopped on craigslist and started looking for a lantern. I own a Coleman 414 that we use on family camping trips and figured I'd stick with white gas fuel.

So I find a guy selling an older gas lantern for $25 and drive to check it out this AM. Looked to be in great shape except for the guy painted his last name in yellow on the fuel tank. Offered him $20 and he took it. Asked if he had any other Coleman items and he mentioned that he had a stove, 426D with propane conversion and a Coleman branded folding aluminum stand. I probably overpaid at $55 for it, but I figured the cub scout pack could use it.

The lantern turned out to be in good shape. Came with a removable reflector, spark igniter, and vault on the bottom. Upon removing the bottom vault I found a small wrench and 4 bags of old old old mantles. Threw on the mantles after cleaning the gunk from the generator and it fired right up.

74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Found a couple dandys today

Post by 74HARLEY »

A 228F, an excellent lantern that is nearly bullet proof. Not a bad deal at all.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Great score. That stove is mint!
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
stoves1234
Colemanaholic

Post by stoves1234 »

$75 for those three items-you did good. They all look to be in great shape.
Jim
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Yea you did good on all of that.
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I like the dual fuel 426D. Perfect for the scouts. Be Prepared.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

You did well. The 220/228F has a frame rest/collar design that I think is attractive, but not all agree.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Ferroplasm

Post by Ferroplasm »

I'd love to get the 228F cleaned up a bit more. There's some rust where the collar(?) meets the fuel tank (font?), rust on the top of the reflector, and the previous owner painted his name on the font.

I'm guessing it'll require a complete tear-down to repaint the font. Worth doing?

Couple more questions. There's a small phillips set screw at the top of the manifold. What is that for? Best place to buy mantles? Local walmart has size 21 Coleman for a few dollars. Ideas for a case? I'll be using this frequently at scout meetings, which means lots of movement in and out of the car. I know there's a yellow clamshell case that fits it, but I think my odds of finding one are slim. Anyone have plans for making one out of plywood?
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Post by LoganS54 »

I think the fount looks in good shape. I wouldn't personally paint it. But I'm not one to really paint anything I appreciate the patina. You may be able to get the previous owners name off by using carb cleaner and some elbow grease. The clam shell cases for that size are pretty common. You may be able to find one for pretty cheap. You'll want the size 21s for sure. I usually just get mine at Walmart or you can order them from our host.
Logan Sumler
 For thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalms 119:105
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That 228F is in great shape! The Phillips screw lines up the mixing chamber and the air tube when putting it to together. I wouldn’t repaint it either, you could use some carb cleaner like said above or some CF on a rag to remove the name. Then get some Mother’s wax and polish that fount up. For that awesome 426D I think you did great! That stove is mint and with a aluminum high stand! I have one and it is my go to camping stove. Yours must be towards the later end of the series with that grate design. If you look under the tank tabs you should see a month/year stamp. Fantastic scores on both.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Nice finds!
If you plan on using this a lot, I would just use as is and stock up on some 21’s. You can always find a box to house the lantern. Wrapped in a towel and slid down into a box should help protect the lantern. Or make constructing a wooden lantern box a project to do with the scouts. Search lantern box and you should find pictures of some that members have shared in the past.

Edited to add: I just tried searching lantern box and found it to be too vague. Try searching wooden lantern boxes instead. Here’s one that popped up
https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... es#p364993
Mark
*Stargazer*
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Great score. They're both in great shape. I wouldn't paint the lantern either. I also wouldn't use up old, old, old silk-lite mantles either. I'd buy current production mantles and either store the old ones in a safe place or offer them for sale to another collector. Aladdin #200 mantles are cheap and work very well.
Rob
Ferroplasm

Post by Ferroplasm »

Is the yellow clamshell the only case that fits the 228F or are there other styles I should be looking for?
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

A 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it and a towel inside to pad the lantern from bouncing back-and-forth works perfectly that's how I transport mine
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Post by LoganS54 »

Ferroplasm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:42 pm Is the yellow clamshell the only case that fits the 228F or are there other styles I should be looking for?
I believe the right metal guillotine will as well. But those are pretty hard to find.
Logan Sumler
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Welcome aboard. I am our Troops quartermaster and enjoy the mix of lanterns/stoves and Scouts. Cook those boys up some hot cocoa and they will learn to appreciate your love of stoves. LP is fine and certainly functional, but white gas is where its at.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
LongDuck

Don't make the mistake of cleaning it up too much,

Post by LongDuck »

Because then you'll find yourself looking at it too longingly to actually use it as it was intended. I don't repaint founts if they're in rust free condition. I also follow the edict that traveling lanterns (those that don't sit at home and come out on special occasions) get modern mantles. The home-based burners get classic fishnet mantles, which are becoming more scarce as time goes on.

Most importantly, clean it up just enough that it looks acceptable to you, as how it would look at a campsite or picnic table, and you'll get much more utility out of it. Any lantern I polished and replaced parts to fix up inevitably became a home-based burner instead of a traveler!

Thank you for your time in Scouting. It makes a difference in kids lives. It did in mine,
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's, 295 Powerhouse Dual Fuel & 288a.
Ferroplasm

Post by Ferroplasm »

Welp, by sheer luck I found a yellow clamshell case on FB marketplace 3 minutes after it was listed today. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it was being sold with a 220F and they wouldn't sell separately. So I guess I'll be the proud owner of two gas lanterns. Is this how it starts?
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

It sure is. Don't store them together because they multiply like rabbits. 😄
Rob
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Post by LoganS54 »

Ferroplasm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:57 pm Welp, by sheer luck I found a yellow clamshell case on FB marketplace 3 minutes after it was listed today. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it was being sold with a 220F and they wouldn't sell separately. So I guess I'll be the proud owner of two gas lanterns. Is this how it starts?
Absolutely how it starts. Told you those clamshell cases weren't very hard to find.
Logan Sumler
LongDuck

Well, as the guys say...

Post by LongDuck »

Start building shelves!
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's, 295 Powerhouse Dual Fuel & 288a.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

That's a great package deal. Well done. You should be able to remove the prior owner's name with denatured alcohol.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
RLW-67

Post by RLW-67 »

Very nice score on some clean equipment. Love those 3 burners!
Ron.
ISO bday lanterns- 12-44 & 07-94--- Also a Green 200A dated from '80.
275 Turd Herder Appreciation Syndicate #1313