Electrolysis q?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Electrolysis q?

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

It’s ok to do electrolysis in a brass/steel fount? I’ve done in the past with all steel but don’t know if brass will react differently and don’t want to be the Guinea pig 😂

Thanks all
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
sleebus
Colemanaholic

Re: Electrolysis q?

Post by sleebus »

That right there is a perfect candidate for easy-off oven cleaner. You'll be done in 15 mins.

The vent on this lantern was as bad as the fount. No polishing at all, just spray, bag, wait 15 mins, rinse with soft brush.

ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

sleebus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:23 pm That right there is a perfect candidate for easy-off oven cleaner. You'll be done in 15 mins.

The vent on this lantern was as bad as the fount. No polishing at all, just spray, bag, wait 15 mins, rinse with soft brush.

I’ve allrwdy cleaned with easy-off from Mexico
And came out pretty nice. Inside the fount has some surface rust that I want to take care off and that why I’m asking about electrolysis because any other chemical it’s too expensive.

This it’s how it came from seller. Wasn’t expensive though so why not give it a try

sleebus
Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

Electrolysis won't work too well inside the fount as there isn't a direct line of sight to the electrode. That fount will function sort of like a faraday cage. It'll work on the outside, but pretty much nothing on the inside unless you get an electrode in there, and insulate it from touching the rest of the fount. The small size of the electrode will make it a very slow process.

I can't say if it's going to affect the brass or not; haven't done that. I've got a bath set up, may have to try dropping something in there and see what happens.

If it's just the steel bottom, you don't need much to make it work. Maybe the molasses trick? Or diet coke? Citric acid? Lye will work here too.
ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Hola, Pancho.

I used electrolysis on this brass/steel Akron 134G fount:

I used lye for the electrolyte and started with a very hot solution. It was in there for a few hours.

After:

So, no, the electrolysis--even the brutal way I do it--won't damage brass or solid nickel plating. It may cause compromised plating to flake off. but so will most cleaning regimes. This fount was "flash chromed", which basically takes a hard sneeze to knock loose.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

sleebus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:57 pm Electrolysis won't work too well inside the fount as there isn't a direct line of sight to the electrode. That fount will function sort of like a faraday cage. It'll work on the outside, but pretty much nothing on the inside unless you get an electrode in there, and insulate it from touching the rest of the fount. The small size of the electrode will make it a very slow process.

I can't say if it's going to affect the brass or not; haven't done that. I've got a bath set up, may have to try dropping something in there and see what happens.

If it's just the steel bottom, you don't need much to make it work. Maybe the molasses trick? Or diet coke? Citric acid? Lye will work here too.
I use a nail or other thin steel rod, wrapped in electrician's tape or a piece of plastic tubing to insulate it where it goes in the fuel bung, with the end inside the fount bare. Leave the valve out so there's somewhere for the evolved gas to go!

Works just fine, thanks.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

I’ve done before and here it’s the outcome. A Christmas lantern that was pretty rough

Thanks Timm and that's was I wanted to hear. So I’m safe doing in a brass fount. Thanks again bud

Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Yes electrolysis works in a fount. As Timm said, an anode in the fuel fill port and one in the valve bug. However, with brass you want to pay attention and not let it run too long. That Akron tank is pink because some of the zinc has leached out of the brass, not a good thing. I'm also working on an Akron 134 and agree the chrome on Akrons falls off in a stiff breeze. Depending on how bad the rust is I usually opt for mechanical or chemical rust removal for the base plate on a mixed fount. Coat with a sealer if you can't get it all out.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

I had the same worries but have not had any issue. I use a steel rod wrapped in electrical tape or plastic window screen as an anode. I should get a thin piece of pvc and drill holes in it to make it easier to clean or change out anodes.
Matt
California
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

The homebrew stores sell rubber corks with holes that could hold your electrode.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Cottage_hill_bill wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:18 pm Yes electrolysis works in a fount. As Timm said, an anode in the fuel fill port and one in the valve bug. However, with brass you want to pay attention and not let it run too long. That Akron tank is pink because some of the zinc has leached out of the brass, not a good thing. I'm also working on an Akron 134 and agree the chrome on Akrons falls off in a stiff breeze. Depending on how bad the rust is I usually opt for mechanical or chemical rust removal for the base plate on a mixed fount. Coat with a sealer if you can't get it all out.
The pink color of the brass is from a phosphoric acid bath I followed the electrolysis with. Zinc doesn't "leach" in lye nor is it eroded by electrolysis.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Thanks fellas.
Last edited by Pancholoco1911 on Sun May 22, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Timm, Makes sense, I thought there might have been something else in the electrolyte. Why a full bath in phosphoric rather than just brush it on the baseplate?
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Cottage_hill_bill wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:08 am Timm, Makes sense, I thought there might have been something else in the electrolyte. Why a full bath in phosphoric rather than just brush it on the baseplate?
Even after electrolysis, the brass parts of the fount were crusted with some sort of mineral/rust material. The phos removed that nicely in less than a minute--the same time it took to "pink" the brass.

Lye and electrolysis are excellent at removing organic compounds and rust. Acids are better at mineral--especially hard-water lime scale--removal.