100% virgin wool blankets for camping?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
1oldfart
Colemanaholic

100% virgin wool blankets for camping?

Post by 1oldfart »

Just wondering what you guys think?

Is it worth it to have a 100% percent virgin wool blanket for camping to sleep with a blanket underneath you to prevent the cold from coming up from the ground and also have a blanket wrapped around when you sleep and then your sleeping bag? Helps with the dampness and to help keep you warm.

Myself I don't like itchiness of wool. Is there any other material that is good? I was looking at merino wool. But those prices are crazy!

Any Suggestions...
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 100% virgin wool blankets for camping?

Post by JimL »

I use a self-inflating camping pad for cushioning which also helps to keep out the cold from the ground. I've had it for a few years and it doesn't self-inflate so well anymore, but is easy enough to blow up and you can always add a little more pressure for additional cushioning while blowing it up.

On one camping trip, it was in the low 40's. I had a second sleeping bag so laid it on top of the one I was sleeping in. That didn't keep me very warm. The next night when it was in the low 30's, I put one sleeping bag inside the other and was toasty warm all night. I personally wouldn't have high expectations of just adding blankets to the outside.

Edit: I forgot that I also use an old yoga mat that someone gave me. I'll put that under the self-inflating camping pad.
The ground is much harder than it was when I was young.
Last edited by JimL on Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

My gas stove identifies as electric.
isubando

Post by isubando »

I use a closed foam sleeping pad to insulate me from the ground (Therm-a-rest RidgeRest Classic). It also helps smooth minor bumps under my tent. If the weather is especially cold, I use two sleeping bags stuffed inside each other. All together, it works very well for my monthly scout campouts over the winter months.

Best of luck in your research!
ICCC #1924
Coleman Slant Saver #69
BernzOMatic Appreciation Club #68
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

JimL wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:28 am
The ground is much harder than it was when I was young.
Lol yes! I didn’t have an air mattress when i was a kid.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Coast_to_Coast
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

I’ve got a nice big wool army blanket I use to throw over the top of me for cold weather camping. I also use a sleeping bag and pad rated for cold weather. The blanket Is itchy, but it’s on the outside, so it doesn’t matter. If I had a nice merino wool blanket it would probably go inside the bag with me. Merino wool is not itchy at all and is the ultimate moisture manager. You have to forget all of that stuff about wool being itchy with merino.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

A closed cell pad under a good, high "R" value air mattress is what you need, the way us backpackers do. I use an expensive Cascade Designs Xtherm as my winter air mattress.
Duane
ICCC member 2220. All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
oldfox66
Colemanaholic

Post by oldfox66 »

I can't do the wool, breaks me out. It was an air mattress, sleeping bag with blankets on top, and a 100lb wolf hybrid on top of that- that was my go to for winter tenting back 10 years ago or so.

Not only has the ground gotten harder the last few years, it keeps getting farther away.....

These days it is memory foam and a forced air furnace in the 31ftr with my wife, a 11lb wienerdog between us, and the GSD on our feet.
Brian
6/66 502--Early 1990's double burner--numerous profanes, single and double
1/67 200A-- 8/67F, 2/71 F, 2/74H, 1/78 J, 11/82 K 220's--11/29Slant, 11/51E, 3/70F, 5/71F 228's -- 10/38B, 3/46C 242's-- 3/86 290-700 --3/98 288 --6/85 CL2 --1941 MilSpec --1952 MilSpec --6/59 237 and 31 more to be listed as completed...
Coleman Slant Saver #71
MilSpec Syndicate #1941
Tribal member of the Weredafoxawee Nation
Happy Glamper

Post by Happy Glamper »

I like to use a fleece sleeping bag as a liner for common 30* bags and add from there. Goodwill stores are a good source for camp bedding.

And definitely get off the ground in the cold.
-Brandon

My glass is neither half empty nor half full, it's simply too big.
TonyK

Post by TonyK »

hikerduane wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 pm A closed cell pad under a good, high "R" value air mattress is what you need, the way us backpackers do. I use an expensive Cascade Designs Xtherm as my winter air mattress.
Duane
This gentleman is right! What’s of first importance is to insulate yourself from the cold ground. A lot of experienced backpackers use a closed-cell foam pad, like the Thermarest Ridgerest that someone mentioned earlier, on the bottom, with an inflatable mattress above that—like the Xtherm. R values are additive. I like a wool blanket as a groundsheet when I’m car camping under the stars. A good sleeping bag is essential, don’t get me wrong, but insulation below you is crucial. Oh…and some bourbon.
Retired USAF
Retired Civil Service
Happy Camper
Stove Models 425C, 425D, 413F, 413G x2, 426C, and 426D x2
Stovie
Super Colemanaholic

Wool blankets for camping?

Post by Stovie »

A standard air mattress is comfortable, but there is little to no insulation value. This is why the self-inflating Thermarest mattress took over the hiking market virtually overnight. Prior to that closed-cell ensolite pads were the only practical sleeping mats available. Insulation from the cold ground is crucial to staying warm.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Great solution here. Use the Thermarest-style sleeping pad and add a 100% alpaca liner to your bag. Lightweight and very efficient.

https://appalachiangearcompany.com/prod ... 80de&_ss=r
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
greenheep

Post by greenheep »

Wool is great but not enough for ground insulation. Get yourself a hammock and an underquilt!!
Murff
Administrator
Title: New ICCC Board President

Post by Murff »

I keep seeing the title of this thread and it reminds me of where virgin wool comes from!

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s, both A and non A
Current ICCC Board President
lynn225
Colemanaholic

Post by lynn225 »

For "car" camping, I use a cot, a 1/2" closed cell foam pad, and a 1.5" Thermarest self inflating mattress. Never have cold coming up through, and as comfortable as our bed at home. When backpacking, I use an REI inflatable pad, with or without a closed cell foam pad below it, depending on temp.
Lynn Klingel
Huntingdon, PA

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ACC,#3

All your lantern are belong to us.
You have no chance to survive make your time.

Coleman Blues 243's  #137
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0218
Mil-SpecOps #0218
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Closed cell foam mat here.

I save the wool blanket to put on TOP of my Mountain bag and if it's cold enough - I add a fleece bag inside.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I used 85% wool army blankets, new, when I made my car top tent, and I have 2-3 "lap" sized leftover scrap pieces I use literally as lap blankets, but also to "Line" my "Umbrella" folding camp chair when its cold. For that it works great.

I agree however its better not to rely on a wool blanket for ground insulation. Lots of options for both comfortable padding and insulation for that. - So I'm not sure "100%" is needed, but certainly virgin wool will be softer, less scratchy.

I did however "carpet" the deck of my car top tent with a thick wool oriental carpet as an initial pad, and for its insulating value. That also works great, as the sleeping padding does not cover the whole deck, but the carpet does. Most comfortable tent in cold weather I'v ever used between the wool carpet and wool tent body, and it does not get condensation inside at all, not even on the top where its wool and Rip stop rain fly materiel above that.

I did ask for, and got for Xmas a couple years back a "baby alpaca" blanket. I've taken i,t but it hasn't been cold enough to need it yet. Maybe next month for the winter NorCal CCF trip.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Just don't use wool from these sheep!

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

My gas stove identifies as electric.
Weirdnerd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

Murff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:02 am I keep seeing the title of this thread and it reminds me of where virgin wool comes from!

Murff
I really worry thinking about where baby oil comes from....
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Willy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

I've been using a gray French army wool blanket for several years, including my month-long river kayaking trips. I also use an air or foam mattress, long johns, wool sox, and a stocking hat. A few nights it hit freezing temps and I was pretty miserable. One night I got up and lit a candle lantern to huddle over. Were it a colder season, would probably bring a second blanket. There is also a technique for wrapping the blanket around you. There are air mattresses made for sleeping that have a R value, supposedly will keep you warmer than the average beach mattress. I was never able to notice any real difference though.
The big advantage of the wool blanket over the sleeping bag is its versatility and how it handles moisture. A sleeping bag has only one function, the blanket has many. Look up how to wear a wool blanket as a match coat.
Willy
GaryColeman

Post by GaryColeman »

I love most all wool products! Jackets, hats, gloves, blankets, throws, you name it! I use wool over me with a top sheet between and foam underneath.
To me, wool is the Coleman of insulation. Vintage Woolrich is my favorite!
I.C.C.C. #1035
Formerly known as Lake George
CCF member since July, 2010
Current Premier of the E.C.C.C.C.
What good shall I do this day?
Vintageish
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

Caddilac safari type camping , better options exist for insulation below a fart sack.
I'm a wool blanket fan , but have only used on for a under bag insulation rarely. (On a cot , with newspapers too!)

If roughing it , your blanket would need a good airing/drying daily.
It's moisture out of the ground you'd be fighting.

Leaves , straw , debris (spiders , scorpions,ticks,fleas depending on local) and the best I've slept on sweet Timothy hay all insulate.

A wool blanket is a fine and versatile camping companion.
For bare bones lightest weight a groundcloth , tarp, or ultralight pad are going to be better choices than a dedicated ground wool blanket. Waterproofed canvas (consider fireproofing too if desired) can protect your blanket in transit and then be a ground cloth.
I want more padding today though!
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
Stovie
Super Colemanaholic

Wool blankets for camping?

Post by Stovie »

Everything ideally gets airing out daily, whenever possible. Even in freezing temperatures direct exposure to the sun will help a lot. This is especially important with goose down sleeping bags.

A heavy wool blanket folded a few times used as a ground pad would certainly be better than nothing. Most everyone lays a waterproof tarp down, groundcloth, visqueen, to keep things clean and puncture free.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

"Leaves , straw , debris (spiders , scorpions,ticks,fleas depending on local) and the best I've slept on sweet Timothy hay all insulate."

One of the most comfy nights I ever spent in the woods was a backpacking trip w a bunch of church kids. When we got to camp, horse packers had been there, and there was loads of loose hay. Dang I slept good!

Something tod think about if youput anything like a wool blanket over your sleeping bag.....you are compressing the sleeping bag, which lessens it's insulating value.
Keith
1oldfart
Colemanaholic

Post by 1oldfart »

I wonder if a synthetic wool blanket will do the same thing?

Return to “Just Bull”