The other heater…

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

The other heater…

Post by 1hpycmpr »

When I picked up my Coleman Model 16 heater last year, I had to take another heater as part of the deal.

It’s actually a pretty cool heater with an art deco look. I can’t find any info on it or about it. It is designed to be connected to a gas source.

I decided to hook up a 1lb bottle to give it a go…

Not sure how much pressure this heater handled in the past to heat up the radiants red hot, but it had to be more than this little bottle could produce! 😁

Am I correct to assume that this was originally used in a house with natural gas?
Mark
*Stargazer*
MKCSyd
Colemanaholic

Re: The other heater…

Post by MKCSyd »

The house I grew up in and still do has the old gas insert in the fire place that was originally designed for it. The house even still has some of the old gas pipes in it for the old gas lamps. Back to the fire place, we never used it and the gas pipe was disconnected so dad decided to remove the decorative wall above the mantle, it was angled in a corner. When he removed the wall we found that the chimney was rain gutter piping and went into the framework and went up and vented inside of the house in the attic
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Wow, the chimney sounds dangerous and to have it vent inside is crazy!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Billdog37
Colemanaholic

Post by Billdog37 »

I would guess natural gas. I think a home gas stove can be converted to run propane with a different jet or something. No expert here. But pretty cool you got it to run. Would be nice to find radiants and see how it does on the 1lb.
Bill
ICCC# 1225
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

1hpycmpr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 am When I picked up my Coleman Model 16 heater last year, I had to take another heater as part of the deal. It is designed to be connected to a gas source.
Here I am, Mark!
:cf_redoops:
That's interesting; I also like the style, too. Good that you tried it out; nice flame pattern, but you're definitely on to something in terms of it needing a better/stronger supply of gas.
Steve
Pennsylvania
ПТН ХЛО
T4P
Toby

Post by Toby »

Mark do you have one of those small adjustable regulators that are often used on turkey or fish fryers? You could crank it up to your hearts content with one of those.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Propane is heavier than air, but natural gas is lighter.
I'm thinking it may not be as much about pressure as design.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That's a cool heater, Mark! Neat flame pattern on the burners. I hope you can get it squared away on either natural gas or propane.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 1/49 ( 242C? ), 10/83, 11/84 (single burner stove) and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
Slant Saver #79
Quick Lite Crew #76
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Billdog37 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 am I would guess natural gas. I think a home gas stove can be converted to run propane with a different jet or something. No expert here. But pretty cool you got it to run. Would be nice to find radiants and see how it does on the 1lb.
It did come with a couple of radiants similar to the ones used in a Mr. Buddy but I don't think that design would work too well.
Gasman64 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:14 am
1hpycmpr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 am When I picked up my Coleman Model 16 heater last year, I had to take another heater as part of the deal. It is designed to be connected to a gas source.
Here I am, Mark!
:cf_redoops:
That's interesting; I also like the style, too. Good that you tried it out; nice flame pattern, but you're definitely on to something in terms of it needing a better/stronger supply of gas.
Ha, you crack me up, Steve! I can see it now, "Hey Steve, temps are predicted to drop later this evening. I need to fire up the heater, care to come over for a cold beer?" :lol:
Toby wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:17 am Mark do you have one of those small adjustable regulators that are often used on turkey or fish fryers? You could crank it up to your hearts content with one of those.
No, I don't have anything like that, Toby. It would be fun to see this thing cranked up!
Hot_Diggity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:44 am Propane is heavier than air, but natural gas is lighter.
I'm thinking it may not be as much about pressure as design.
Yea I'm not up on any of that, Chuck. :D If you look real close, there are 3 little jets between the main set of jets. It would be interesting to see what radiants were used.
Kgam1020 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:50 am That's a cool heater, Mark! Neat flame pattern on the burners. I hope you can get it squared away on either natural gas or propane.
Not sure what to do at this point. On one hand it would be cool to get it up and running with some kind of radiants. Then, on the other hand, at what cost and how often would I really use it?
Mark
*Stargazer*
Old Cat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Old Cat »

Neat heater, Mark. I hope you find the missing parts. Be safe in exploring the output of your heater.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”