What types of tools do you all keep in your vehicles.

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Loganeffecto
Super Colemanaholic

What types of tools do you all keep in your vehicles.

Post by Loganeffecto »

I’ve been working a little more on being prepared in my vehicles the past couple of years. I’ve always driven somewhat high mileage vehicles and like to keep a few things around. In all my cars I keep a qt of oil, power steering fluid and antifreeze just in case I spring a leak. As far as tools go, jumper cables, flashlight, pliers, a very long flat blade screwdriver and a basic ratchet kit. I know you sometimes can’t do much in a breakdown but sometimes you can get by. I remember one of the most frustrating experiences I’ve had was with a flat tire. No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t get the wheel off. With the lugs removed, it just wouldn’t come off. A rubbed mallet would have freed it, but had to wait for someone to pop it off. I’m always looking for improvements if you guys have any suggestions ;)
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
BungalowBoy
Colemanaholic

Re: What types of tools do you all keep in your vehicles.

Post by BungalowBoy »

What, no duct tape?
I always carry an X (cross handle) lug nut wrench in my vehicles. After any tire service I always check my wheels to make sure I can loosen those lug nuts because I just know that when I need to change a tire the conditions will not be ideal.
Butch
Utah
Loganeffecto
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

BungalowBoy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:19 am What, no duct tape?
I always carry an X (cross handle) lug nut wrench in my vehicles. After any tire service I always check my wheels to make sure I can loosen those lug nuts because I just know that when I need to change a tire the conditions will not be ideal.
Yes…I had the shop strip two lug studs a few years back. Not only that, they destroyed the bearings trying to replace the studs. Those air hammers are something. Came in for a tire rotation, left with new studs and bearings at no extra charge…
Volvoguy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

Besides the already mentioned tools, I keep a full “mechanics” tool kit made by Huskey in my station wagon. It’s a little overkill but whatever tool kit you have, I highly recommend carrying ratchet extenders (may not be the right word but y’know, the extenders that let you reach deep in there for a bolt).

I can go on and on about tools and parts. I keep all sorts of things or my station wagon.

The thing I’ve used the most though is a tire iron and the X shaped lugnut removal tool. An honorable mention is also a floor Jack instead of the junky little jacks that come with cars.

I find a lot of stranded motorists who can’t get the lugnuts off with the included tool kits, so this is very handy to have.

Other than that, having some very big channel locks really helps along with a set of various size vice-grips.

I’m starting to get carried away thinking of tools so I’ll suggest one more that is used all the time. A good battery terminal cleaner is one of those things that I’ve used a lot on other peoples vehicles. That and some CRC contact cleaner.

Oh and also, an assortment of fuses. They won’t be needed much but dang can they make someone’s day.
Coleman Slant Saver #81
offrink
Super Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

Dang, I keep way to much stuff in the car but being single dad with no one within a few hours I occasionally need it. Two 48” pry bars and a 24” pry bar, 4 trailer hitches, hand saw, 10 ratchet straps of varying sizes, 4 20’ grade 8 chains with chain binders, ratchet set, screwdriver set, two hammers, a couple packs of zip ties, 550 cord, battery jump pack, 30’ jumper cables so if I’m stuck on the freeway I don’t have to go nose to nose, tire inflator, 12”, 18” and 24” adjustable wrench, 2 tarps, tarp straps, tow strap with clevises of a few sizes, carabiners, and I’m sure I’m missing some stuff. Also carry a full emt kit with narcan that the local walk in clinic is giving away.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
Joe_7910
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Joe_7910 »

Tools are ok. Food water and extra clothes are better. I also have a stove in the trunk. Remember when those poor folks in New York got trapped in their cars from all the snow and froze to death? They could have had hot coffee and ravioli instead. I apologize if I seem insensitive. Society’s general lack of preparedness is frustrating.
Thankfully most folks here aren’t like that
Happy Glamper
Colemanaholic

Post by Happy Glamper »

I pretty much keep a full set in every vehicle. The latest model vehicle I have is a 2000.

1/4" and 3/8" drive socket sets and combination wrench set. pliers, dikes, ratcheting screwdriver and a set of bits.

Code reader, jumper cables, set of replacement belts, fluids.
All of my car tool sets come from HF.
Volvoguy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:03 am .. in my station wagon.
Love my V70. =)
-Brandon

After their numbers dwindled from 23 to 8, the others began to suspect Hungry.

Christmas Savings Club #5
Sledgehammer
Colemanaholic

Post by Sledgehammer »

It changes a little based on what I’m doing. All vehicles get a break over bar with the correct sized socket for the lugs and jumper cables.
Little commuter car has 1/4 and 3/8 sockets in SAE/Metric. Screw drivers, hammer, pliers, wrenches, ratchet straps, punches, chisel, file, flashlight, tape measure, tire gauge, lighter, roll of shop towels, ice scraper.
Pickup is different. 1/4-1/2” socket sets, full set of hand tools, tire plug kit, chain, jerk strap, clevis, hitch pins, penetrating oil, brake cleaner, various hitches, gloves, 1qt 80/90wt, duct tape, camp axe, JB weld, ice scraper, pry bar, flashlights, lighter, tire gauges, etc…
If I’m going on a trip or pulling a trailer I normally have a 1/2” impact, grease gun, battery air compressor, and sometimes a floor Jack.
Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
oldfox66
Super Colemanaholic

Post by oldfox66 »

Locally, just a few basics, a professions tire plug kit and tools, 12vlt compressor, and a cell phone.

On trips or when towing a fully equiped 3 drawer box with everything in both metric and standard.

1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets, ratchets and breaker bars, extentions to 18" long, universals, adapters...1/2" drive torque wrenches (150lb and 300lb)

Wrenches in combination and tubing

Allen (hex), torx, and tamper proof
wrenches and sockets

Slip joint plier, standard pliers, needle nose in striaght and offset, snap ring tool and tips

Screwdrivers in flat, phillips, torx

Vise grips

Hammers

Files

Blue and black RTV, red and blue locktite, antisieze, a roll of fiber gasket material

Oils, antifreeze, water, greases, spare spark plug, wire tools, connectors, 10, 14, and 16 guage wire, bulbs,

Back when we still used the 385,000 mile 2002 Escape I carried a tap, grease, timesert install tool and inserts for the spark plugs along with spare plug and coilpack.

For some reason every trip I wind up helping others with their boats, campers, and vehicles.....
Brian

Coleman Slant Saver #71
MilSpec Syndicate #1941
Quicklite Crew #70
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0266
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #041
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #028

Tribal member of the Weredafoxawee Nation
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Axe, tiny Vaughn Mini hatchet, several knives, large medical scissors, universal sillcock wrench, bow saw, slip joint pliers, bolt cutters, Vise Grips, adjustable wrench, 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets, OBD2 scanner, extra scissors jack, rifle cleaning kit, and probably a bunch of others stuff that's gotten lost in there over the years. My car is like a black hole.

Shovels. I found two shovels in the car, a step ladder, battery powered air compressor, folding luggage cart.

See, told you it was a black hole. ;)
Last edited by Hot_Diggity on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

I'm kinda glad you asked, Logan. Lately, I've been thinking about what I do have, and adding some things to it, so it will be nice to see what tools and supplies other folks are toting around.

Off the top of my head: Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, jumper cables, tow strap, tire gauge, leather and nitrile gloves, bungee cords and ratchet straps, tripod stools, flash light, 5-in-1 screwdriver, utility knife, digital multi-meter, full change of clothes, blanket, poncho, hand warmer packs, a few metal forks/spoons/knives, blue shop towels, wine- and beer-bottle openers.

I only carry the OEM jack and lug wrench unless I'm towing. If it's long distance I bring the floor jack and some other tools.

Seems I have a few things to hone in on...
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Mil-Spec Ops #1920
Coleman Slant Saver #80
Coleman Blues 243's #1980
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #68
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1980
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
MKCSyd
Colemanaholic

Post by MKCSyd »

My first tool box I bought in hs when I got my first car a 1965 Corvair. I still have and take on trips hauling trailers and other times weighs 78 lbs. yes it’s the standard metal craftsman carry around
FishNChips
Super Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

I carry a lot but spend a lot of time in the woods, I have had to fix everything from broken springs, to hoses, to spiked tires. The dope farms are everywhere here and they spike the forest service roads on the way into their “gardens.”

Tire Repair I carry a very good Viaair pump, plug and patch kit, valve stem repair, and some tire irons.

Tools I have a complete socket set in 1/4”, 3/8” and some 1/2”. A small manual hand impact and hammer. Wrenches, screw drivers, wire striper and crimps, wire, nuts and bolts, u bolts, and multimeter. Along with all the fuses and sundries. Electrical tape, hose clamps, ect ect

Recovery I have a 30’ snatch strap, a a couple recovery hooks, some shackles and a couple jacks. I have a high lift but its not as useful on the newer vehicles but the wheel mate works well with it. I find my stock jack and an extra high hydraulic very handy. A smaller 1 ton that I can stick into small spaces, fenders and over axles has been handy too.

I carry some food, blankets, candles, water purification and my EMT kit for emergencies.

Its sounds like a lot but all fits under the seat of my truck. Its been just as handy for people I come across as well as my own vehicles. Any repair work I tend to work out of my truck kit to show I have everything I need in my kit and keeps it all familiar and knowing where it all is.
Matt
California
REJ2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

offrink wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:18 am Dang, I keep way to much stuff in the car but being single dad with no one within a few hours I occasionally need it. Two 48” pry bars and a 24” pry bar, 4 trailer hitches, hand saw, 10 ratchet straps of varying sizes, 4 20’ grade 8 chains with chain binders, ratchet set, screwdriver set, two hammers, a couple packs of zip ties, 550 cord, battery jump pack, 30’ jumper cables so if I’m stuck on the freeway I don’t have to go nose to nose, tire inflator, 12”, 18” and 24” adjustable wrench, 2 tarps, tarp straps, tow strap with clevises of a few sizes, carabiners, and I’m sure I’m missing some stuff. Also carry a full emt kit with narcan that the local walk in clinic is giving away.
Ben you mentioned everything but a chainsaw, i bet its in there though!
Bob   
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
ICCC #1574
Kgam1020
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

12” Dewalt sliding miter saw
10” Ryobi table saw
5gal Porta-cable pancake air compressor
50’ worth of extension cords
50’ air hose
NIB Coleman Roadtrip 2 LP grill.
Rigid 3pc rolling tool box set
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 1/49 ( 242C? ), 10/83, 11/84 (single burner stove) and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
Slant Saver #79
Quick Lite Crew #76
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Loganeffecto
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Kgam1020 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:21 pm 12” Dewalt sliding miter saw
10” Ryobi table saw
50’ air hose
Ken, just tape an envelope under the car with ten grand in it. It would be easier to buy a nice used car during a breakdown. Probably cheaper too!
Kgam1020
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Loganeffecto wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:09 am
Kgam1020 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:21 pm 12” Dewalt sliding miter saw
10” Ryobi table saw
50’ air hose
Ken, just tape an envelope under the car with ten grand in it. It would be easier to buy a nice used car during a breakdown. Probably cheaper too!
lol!! I have had a few side jobs lately so some of my tools are still in the truck. Under my tonneau cover.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 1/49 ( 242C? ), 10/83, 11/84 (single burner stove) and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
Slant Saver #79
Quick Lite Crew #76
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
StoneyMeadowMaple

Post by StoneyMeadowMaple »

Basic hand tools, wrenches in 2 denominations, couple socket sets, jumper cables, pliers and an assorted screwdrivers, a couple chains, impact drivers drills, rotaty hammer hardware assortments… it works out to about 2500 lbs of tools (I am an electrician) but the tool I refuse to travel without I keep under the seat😉
Breakawayplanet
Colemanaholic

Post by Breakawayplanet »

Toolbox full of basic crap you need on the rd. Jumper cables and jumper pack, extension cord, obd Bluetooth scanner, multimeter, Milwaukee impact gun and extra batteries, pipe helper, jack, some spare parts. Nothing too fancy really. I carry some axes, a small ryobi electric chainsaw that uses the same batteries as my Milwaukee with an adapter. Bunch of coleman stuff. Couple knives and lubricants, dot fluids, extra gas can, blow torch. The Basics as I said.
Last edited by Breakawayplanet on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna light up the world, one lantern at a time.
If it's old, odd, hisses, is filled full of naptha and brings light to the dark, I want it.

Coleman Blues 243’s #188
MilspecOps #0086
- ZACH
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

FishNChips wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:03 pm Any repair work I tend to work out of my truck kit to show I have everything I need in my kit and keeps it all familiar and knowing where it all is.
This to me is key. Have what you use, and need.

Is the rig SAE or metric or both? - this drives tool selection. You mentioned some basics like jumpers so I won't go deep there - but are they good ones? Like 4 gauge copper minimum?

When I switched to a Japanese Suzuki Samurai, I went from All SAE (I had older 60's Fords mostly) to needing a road set for metric. I had the basics but I didn't want t have to strip the shop box of al the metric I used for newer vehicles.

I got a 90 piece Craftsman Metric set (Sears was still in decent business and Craftsman was still US made) in a blow mold box, It had 1 set of combos, a full set of sockets and ratchets (I switched the ratchets to the older but much better RHFT I had spare) and added a second set of Combos, some pliers/grippers tools, a selection of drivers, abd it all fit. Other point use tools followed.

It weighs about 90 lbs and is pretty compact.

To Matt's point above I later used that set to transplant a Suzuki Swift GTI (2X the HP) into the rig. Anything mising was added adn I'm confident I cn fix most anything on te rig.

Like Matt I take my rig way out, the Sami and the Toy Van are nearing 40 years old and despite regular upkeep and updates, things happen.

Like Matt I've also bailed out others that got broke down.

Many small spare parts and tire plug kits can be fit into a 50 cal sized ammo box. I use a plastic version and keep "tune up cast offs" in there as well as the basic repair chemicals like RTV, anti-seize, Aluma-seal, Electrical tape and the like; even left over metric nuts and bolts get tossed in there.

Fluids. These rigs use very little coolant, so I keep a Qt of full strength anti Freeze (I always have spare water), 3 qts of oil, and a qt of gear oil with a working pump. Lastly I can't seen to trust out of town fuel much so 2 bottles o fuel treatment and one of SeaFoam

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

Farmer Brown
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Farmer Brown »

Tow rope and clevis with every liquid imaginable! It’s my wood hauling truck. Lol
Tyler

Milspec-Ops #0057
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0276
Coleman Slant Saver #92
Coleman Blues 243's #186
Coleman Quick Light Crew #82
Goldbond Collector #25
Deansierras220
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Deansierras220 »

Since my truck is getting older I've started carrying a lot more stuff the past 2-3 years. Besides jumper cables, I keep power steering fluid, oil, antifreeze, a crescent wrench, a flash light, a few screwdrivers ,a tarp, some rope and some water
Jared
Gateway to the Sierras
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

These days in my truck--
Bottle jack.
Jumper cables.
Small folding shovel.
Old heavy, short shotgun barrel as a cheater bar and weapon.
Tie- downs and ratchet straps.
Usual small hand tools/ flashlight.
Triple A card. :)
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67W)
"Small earth, big universe. Be curious!"
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”