Coleman canoe

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Moses_Yoder
Super Colemanaholic

Coleman canoe

Post by Moses_Yoder »

What are Coleman canoes made of? Some sort of plastic resin? I may have a chance to buy one really cheap, any reason not to? Like $120 for a 15 footer.
Moses D Yoder/Mo-Mo/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 "Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart."

Sledgehammer

Re: Coleman canoe

Post by Sledgehammer »

High density polyethylene. I believe Pelican made them. If it floats and keeps water on the outside it’s probably worth $120
Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
ke4ljh
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by ke4ljh »

It's a good buy..
Stephen - Florida
Bodjick

Post by Bodjick »

I’ve had a 16’ one for 30+ years. A great canoe. A few scratches more now, but basically it’s the same as when I bought it.
will5a

Post by will5a »

Look at it carefully - I've had one for years and it has developed some cracks here and there. They are heavy, compared to some other brands, which didn't bother me so much when I was younger but does now. Some say coleman canoes should not be stored out in direct sunlight, others say it doesn't matter.
Will
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Heavy and slow, but durable. Negotiate the price down a little.
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67W)
"Small earth, big universe. Be curious!"
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Heavy, hard to get on the top of your rig. We had a 17ft one. Had great fun with it.
Keith
StoneyMeadowMaple

Post by StoneyMeadowMaple »

I am a canoe snob, they never did much for me, but that sounds like a good deal if it doesn’t have cracks. If it gets you out on the water, that’s what matters. I’ve paddled some real barges, they look pretty good compared to an old town sportsman or a Raddison. Check for cold cracks around the gunnels and wherever anything passes through the hull.
Sledgehammer

Post by Sledgehammer »

I like my 14’ Radisson but it isn’t meant for whitewater either. That’s fine because we don’t have fast running, rocky creeks and rivers here. For fishing and exploring our muddy, flat water rivers it works great.

Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
xvz12
Colemanaholic

Post by xvz12 »

I have a 17' Coleman canoe, had it for over 30 years, 22 of those years it was stress-tested by hordes of Boy Scouts. a bit faded now, with numerous scratches, but still going strong.
Wynn - xvz12

ICCC#1560
MilSpecOps Syndicate #77
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0150
Looking for almost anything kero... :cf_absolutely:
Bodjick

Post by Bodjick »

They are heavy and slow, but are quiet!
gootsch
Colemanaholic

Post by gootsch »

Compared to an Old Town Royalex or a Grummand aluminum canoe Coleman canoes are a barge in the water, durable but a barge none the less.
Gootsch
Bodjick

Post by Bodjick »

It is kind of a barge. We got it for the kids which it was great for. It has spent half its time partially submerged (it won’t sink) when in the water. The kids love to do that! It’s been great. We’re on a 9000 acre lake and when out it is very stable and safe too.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

Canoes are like GPAs. The use case can determine its worth to the owner. If you're floating around a lake then it will probably work fine as long as it's not too heavy to get on and off your truck. Most people I know who own canoes complain about the weight.

I personally don't like to paddle canoes in Colorado lakes because it's so windy. The water gets choppy, you can take on water and the boats get unstable. That's the main reson I have kayaks.

I do own an Old Town Penobscot 17 Royalex canoe which I sometimes use on rivers. It's a nice canoe.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
stoves1234
Super Colemanaholic

Post by stoves1234 »

Just my opinion Moses, but for a little bit more money you can get an aluminum canoe that's lighter and will paddle better. An aluminum canoe can be stored anywhere but my guess is storing a plastic one exposed to the sun isn't good for it.
Jim
Bodjick

Post by Bodjick »

stoves1234 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:09 pm Just my opinion Moses, but for a little bit more money you can get an aluminum canoe that's lighter and will paddle better. An aluminum canoe can be stored anywhere but my guess is storing a plastic one exposed to the sun isn't good for it.
No argument there.
However, I once stove in the side of our Coleman canoe and just kicked it out with my foot. You can’t even find it now. Try that with aluminum!
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

I have both a Coleman canoe and the incredible Crawdad - flat bottom 12-foot john boat.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Some of the Coleman canoes are made of a material called RAM X. I don't know about the weight of these, but they're extremely durable. My personal opinion would be try a kayak first and see how you like it. You can rent them from fluid fun in Bristol. You may know where that place is, Moses. There are many configurations and lengths of kayaks with prices ranging from a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. A kayak would definitely be more manageable out of the water for one person.
Rob
Bodjick

Post by Bodjick »

rob_pontius wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 pm Some of the Coleman canoes are made of a material called RAM X. I don't know about the weight of these, but they're extremely durable. My personal opinion would be try a kayak first and see how you like it. You can rent them from fluid fun in Bristol. You may know where that place is, Moses. There are many configurations and lengths of kayaks with prices ranging from a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. A kayak would definitely be more manageable out of the water for one person.
Yes RamX. It is both heavy and durable! These canoes are not for everyone, but ours has been great for what we use it for. It has been stored outside 24/7 365 for close to 30 years. It is mostly shaded though in the summer.
It has been great for the kids playing and learning to paddle on the lake although it really isn’t bad for going down a river trip. Just dont expect to win any races!
Moses_Yoder
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I appreciate the advice, it helps me out a lot knowing what to look for. My next purchase is going to be a canoe. THis guy responded to my first message then didn't respond for a full day so I asked him if he sold it to someone else and he replied "I decided to keep it, thanks for your time." Yes well thanks for nothing but I have learned never to count my eggs before I get the chickens. I appreciate all of the valuable advice.
Moses D Yoder/Mo-Mo/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 "Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart."

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Indubitably a Colemanholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

My friend was out for a leisurely paddle with a disabled friend in a Coleman canoe.
There was a surprise down pour and the stream they were in swelled and became a raging river.
Both were thrown from the canoe and once Carl saved himself he went looking for Jerry.
Jerry was clinging for his life to a log. Carl made his way to Jerry and got him safely to shore. Carl was able to find the canoe folded around a rock.
The internal metal support was bent in a 90 degree angle.
He folded it back, loaded Jerry up and paddled him down to the next road.
Surprisingly the canoe is still in use.
Thank you!
Kevin

GPA are the catalyst that brings us all together.
The people you meet and build friendships with are why we stay!

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865
Kansas_John
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kansas_John »

That’s a 17ft square back Coleman scanoe. It’s big and wide. I’ll give it to anyone that wants to come get it.

We upgraded to kayaks and I sold the truck with the hard shell, so the scanoe is landlocked in my backyard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John M. Lawrence, KS
ICCC #1431

Looking for any oddball moderns and an REI single burner anniversary stove.
Gunhippie
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Myself and a buddy once wrapped a Coleman RamX canoe around a rock in a class-three rapid in the Sandy river near Portland, OR. It was wrapped end-for-end. It took six BIG guys to pull it off after I risked life and limb to rig a rope to it in the middle of the rapid--fortunately, we were right next to "muscle beach", so big guys were abundant and more than happy to show off.

We brought it home--after jumping on it to get it straight enough for the roof rack--and called Coleman. The nice fellow there said to drill out the rivets, remove the frame and then pour boiling water over any white creases. A new aluminum frame cost something like $60 and a few days later, the canoe looked almost like new, aside from a few gouges in the plastic.

That was over thirty years ago. Last summer, I was sitting at the bar of the pub when a guy sat down next to me. I looked at him and asked him if he was named Eric. He said yes, and was surprised as he'd never met me before. I replied "We wrecked a canoe on the Sandy one time." He bought the first round.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
FishNChips
Super Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

My brother has one but they are prone to cracks. We have plastic welded it several times. Its held up well to rocks but constantly cracks again by the cross supports, luckily above water line. Its heavy and paddles bad but he got it free. I definitely prefer my kayaks. The ly paddle much better and are easier to load on the truck.

If I was going for a canoe I would look at one of the aluminum canoes. I can’t afford a carbon fiber or kevlar. The roto-molded kayaks hold up well though.
Matt
California
byegorge

Post by byegorge »

I wonder if it's the kind of plastic that responds to a weed burner.
George
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”