Why buy crown?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Gil P

Why buy crown?

Post by Gil P »

CF and Crown are both the same price at $15. Why buy CROWN? The benefit of CF the rust inhibitor, right?
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Why buy crown?

Post by rob_pontius »

My personal choice is crown over Coleman fuel. Crown fuel doesn't have the green dye that creates a crust on the tops of generators when they sit for long periods. I've used white gas from the pump for many years, but those sources dried up last summer, so it'll be Crown for me once my white gas is gone.
Rob
Gil P

Post by Gil P »

rob_pontius wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm My personal choice is crown over Coleman fuel. Crown fuel doesn't have the green dye that creates a crust on the tops of generators when they sit for long periods. I've used white gas from the pump for many years, but those sources dried up last summer, so it'll be Crown for me once my white gas is gone.
That's interesting, I didn't know cf could crust up the generators. I'm still new at this.

What is white gas? We have ethanol free gasoline available in my area. I wonder if that would be just as good as crown or cf?
Deansierras
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Deansierras »

Both Crown and Coleman have rust inhibitors added. I buy whatever is in stock but generally go for Crown because I believe it's still made in America ( if I'm wrong someone please correct me). Coleman Fuel says its made in Australia on the can(nothing against Australia). But I believe that's the only difference in the two.
Jared
Gateway to the Sierras
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

White gas is what gasoline used to be before they started adding octane boosters and detergents to it. It's 54 octane unleaded gasoline. A good friend and I have both used REC-90 in our lanterns as well. It burns fine also.
Rob
JimL
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I prefer Crown due to the lack of a dye in it. However, I've got a stock of CF due to finding it on clearance a couple of times over the years. The second time was a store mistake, but the manager let me get a max of eight gallons at $3 each. :)
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

My gas stove identifies as electric.
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

Crown is good for the soul :-D
At my local Academy Sports, it’s ~$12 a gallon.
I’ve heard the dye in CF can crud up generators with wadding over time so I took that advice and it’s worked out nicely for me.
Lots of Crown at gatherings so it can’t be that bad lol!
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #41
Perfection Heater Collectors #2 
CANADIAN BLUES SYNDICATE #57
Coleman Slant Saver #65
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0238
Coleman Chandelier Shanty Syndicate #7

snipesfred and Stoco_gpa on Instagram
Big Ferd on YouTube
Gil P

Post by Gil P »

holliswood wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 am Crown is good for the soul :-D
At my local Academy Sports, it’s ~$12 a gallon.
I’ve heard the dye in CF can crud up generators with wadding over time so I took that advice and it’s worked out nicely for me.
Lots of Crown at gatherings so it can’t be that bad lol!
Crown seems like the better choice. I'm glad I asked. I don't want my generators to get clogged up so crown fuel it is!
critmass_34
Super Colemanaholic

Post by critmass_34 »

My eyes may be worse than I thought, but I haven't noticed any dye in the Coleman fuel I have bought the past two years.
My friends call me Big Jack
Coleman Quick Lite Crew # 77
Happy Glamper
Colemanaholic

Post by Happy Glamper »

I can appreciate the dye for helping to spot leaks, though never enough to justify buying CF before the price parity.
-Brandon

After their numbers dwindled from 23 to 8, the others began to suspect Hungry.

Christmas Savings Club #5
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Deansierras wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:32 pm Coleman Fuel says its made in Australia on the can
I did not know that, Jared, hmmmmm.....haven't bought CF in about 5 years or more since Crown was cheaper, but I'll have to take a closer look at a can sometime. Thanks for pointing that out.
Steve
(Stovie ✔️)
Pennsylvania
ПТН ХЛО
Gil P

Post by Gil P »

critmass_34 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:40 am My eyes may be worse than I thought, but I haven't noticed any dye in the Coleman fuel I have bought the past two years.
I haven't seen any either. Is it really green? For those of you saying there's dye in it, have you bought any new Coleman fuel recently?
Kgam1020
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Coleman fuel has a greenish/bluish tint for the anti-rust agent they add. I buy both.. whatever Walmart has on the shelf at the time. I do have more Crown than Coleman though.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 1/49 ( 242C? ), 10/83, 11/84 (single burner stove) and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
Slant Saver #79
Quick Lite Crew #76
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Gunhippie
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

rob_pontius wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm My personal choice is crown over Coleman fuel. Crown fuel doesn't have the green dye that creates a crust on the tops of generators when they sit for long periods. I've used white gas from the pump for many years, but those sources dried up last summer, so it'll be Crown for me once my white gas is gone.
And I thought I was the only one to notice this! It's really bad with gens like Quickies and Torch Lites, as there's no pricker and the packing is fiber. I have to pull and clean--at least prick--the gen from my 316 every time I want to light it if I leave it full of Coleman fuel. The sad fact is, I doubt there's any GPA valve--at least the all-brass type--that seals 100%.

So, Quick- and Torch-lites get only Crown. Others don't respond so badly, so get Coleman, which is available locally--for $20+/gal. Nearest Wally World is an hour-and-a-half away, each way.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JimL
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Coleman fuel has a greenish/bluish tint for the anti-rust agent they add.

I'm not clear on whether you're suggesting that the presence of the green dye is an indicator that there are rust inhibitors or that the green dye is the rust inhibitor. The spec sheet for Coleman fuel lists both separately.

From the specs:
-Jim

Happy Glamper
Colemanaholic

Post by Happy Glamper »

Dyes are purely for identification purposes, usually tax related.

Leak detection is a fantastic bonus though.
-Brandon

After their numbers dwindled from 23 to 8, the others began to suspect Hungry.

Christmas Savings Club #5
SteveA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by SteveA »

The Wally-World near me only has Crown, probably because it was $5 cheaper for years and nobody bought the costlier Coleman fuel.
Moses_Yoder
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Moses_Yoder »

Now that both are the same price I buy Coleman camp fuel because in the past when Crown was half the price the guys here were saying Coleman is better fuel.
Moses D Yoder/Mo-Mo/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 "Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart."

Loganeffecto
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Yeah I noticed last time in Walmart Crown was the same price. Why even carry two brands at this point?
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
Gunhippie
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Moses_Yoder wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 am Now that both are the same price I buy Coleman camp fuel because in the past when Crown was half the price the guys here were saying Coleman is better fuel.
I sure wasn't one of those guys.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I did remember that a lot of guys here used to say they would choose Coleman Fuel over Crown for whetever reasons. That must be quite sometime back.
I'm sure many would have numerous empty cans of CF as evidence. I seldom hear anyone ever complaining about the presence of dye in CF years ago. The dye has been introduced for ages. I'm hearing it more often now, ever since the their prices(CF and Crown) began to approach each other.

Anyways, I'm not really sure why did Coleman dyed their fuel. Would that really exempt it from taxes? If that is so, was it really necessary?
CF is only meant to be used as a 'camping fuel'. With their prices both in the past and present, I'd doubt anyone would use it in bulk for transportation vehicles or any other work or farm machineries. Was it ever cheaper than road gasolines to begin with?
I also doubt that a pale greenish tint for the otherwise clear liquid would serve very well as a leak indicator. I don't think it'd show up that well on many surfaces.
I'd be somewhat more convinced if that specific green tint was just meant to be an indicator that it is Coleman Fuel rather than some other dyed gasolines or fuel.
JimL
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Anyways, I'm not really sure why did Coleman dyed their fuel. Would that really exempt it from taxes?

I don't know where the dyeing of CF came up as something to do with taxes, but feel certain no one would ever want to substitute CF for gas. The dye in fuel oil (diesel) is to indicate that road taxes have not been paid on it. Apparently they do occasionally check diesel vehicles and even personal vehicles to see if there is any dye. If there is, supposedly you're in a heap of trouble for tax evasion.

I gave someone many gallons of heating oil for their diesel passenger vehicle when switching from oil to has. I have never seen this person paranoid, but he certainly was when running that dyed fuel.
-Jim

Gunhippie
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Well, the fact is, Coleman fuel--white gas--was road fuel for a long time. It wasn't until after WWII the high-compression engines became common with civilians, causing fuel octane ratings and anti-knock additives to become necessary. Hence, you won't find Coleman--or any other--camp fuel cans dating earlier than the '50s.

In the '30s, you could run you car, airplane and camping appliances all from the same pump. Coleman sold a self-starting siphon so you could easily fill your camp stuff from the tank of your flivver.
oldfox66
Super Colemanaholic

Post by oldfox66 »

JimL wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:27 pm The dye in fuel oil (diesel) is to indicate that road taxes have not been paid on it. Apparently they do occasionally check diesel vehicles and even personal vehicles to see if there is any dye. If there is, supposedly you're in a heap of trouble for tax evasion.
There are two dyes for diesel, red and blue. Red is offroad, blue is marine, which has about half the taxes on it as road but WAY more than offroad. I live in farm country and they pull diesels on a regular basis and 'dip' the tanks looking for offroad being used in everything from bigrigs to my buddies diesel VW Passat.

Back when I had my diesel boat on the Chesapeake Bay we would get pulled by the Coast Guard and local Game and Wildlife Officers and have our tanks checked as well. They didn't care if we had clear instead of blue, but if we had red then either the owner or the marine we fueled at got a $1,500 ticket.
Brian

Coleman Slant Saver #71
MilSpec Syndicate #1941
Quicklite Crew #70
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0266
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #041
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #028

Tribal member of the Weredafoxawee Nation
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I might speculate that Coleman added the dye in their canned fuel just as an indicator so that people won't mistakenly use it on their high compression engines.
It might had been likely that during the initial years when higher compression engines were first introduced, the term 'white gas' as a fuel for everything from cars to GPAs was still lingering in the minds of most people who were familiar with its use. I would guess not everyone was immediately aware at that time, that road gasoline was no longer the old 'white gas'.
That might also probably be one of the reasons why Coleman had introduced their canned product in the 50s as well. Nevertheless, it is only my speculation. I'm not sure if the earliest canned CF already had dye added.

Now Crown does not have any dyes in it. Would it be likely that anyone use it by mistake as a fuel for their cars today?
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”