OT Regional flooding

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Sledgehammer
Serious Colemanaholic

OT Regional flooding

Post by Sledgehammer »

My family and I just returned from a small vacation. We spent a couple days in Spencer Iowa visiting with friends. That area (NW Iowa and surrounding areas of Nebraska and South Dakota) had seen a lot of rainfall lately. Not a big deal until last night. Torrential rainfall filled already swollen creeks and rivers sending water over many roads. We were to leave today anyhow and took off about 7:00am. Road was closed crossing the river in town.Image

Next we headed west, then North, all roads flooded. About 8:00 we were trying a route east and were able to cross a flooded roadway about 10 minutes before it was closed off by my guessing. Thinking we were out of the worst we headed the direction we needed to go. Cresting a hill we saw this.

I knew we had barely made it out of town before the town became and island. That was something to be thankful for. Looking over from the hilltop, trying to decide what to do, I notice a side by side coming down a side road. Looking at the wife I said "we need to talk to that guy". I stopped and we talked a minute. Got the old farmer directions of "2 miles down you'll see a silo", etc... we followed his directions and made it out on a deserted blacktop that I would never have found on my own 10 hours from home, even with internet help.

So many people downplayed the potential danger and stayed in town or even went in through water to attend the event and became trapped. People staying in hotels watching water climb up into their vehicles with nowhere to go. The first stop we made where I took the picture of the bridge was totally underwater a few hours later. Businesses with 6-8' of water inside.

Sorry for the long post but this is just a reminder that floods are serious ordeals and a lot of people in that part of the world are miserable tonight from the loss of property and hopefully only property. Stay safe out there. If you are inclined to pray, I'm sure those people could use it tonight. Thanks.
Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
Toby

Re: OT Regional flooding

Post by Toby »

We get that a lot around here in the spring. "Turn around, don't drown" is what the local newscasters always say. Thankfully here it usually recedes rather quickly... If it stops raining that is 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Yes, floods are quite serious. A number of roads around here temporarily flood when it rains (many of them I use are quite predictable), and if a road is flooded, "turn around, don't drown", as Toby heard on the news. Around here, people who drive through flooding and get stuck get fined, and rightly so. When the fire & rescue people have to rescue these goofs, it's time and money for them, most volunteers.
Last edited by Gasman64 on Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
(Stovie )
Pennsylvania
ПТН ХЛО
critmass_34
Super Colemanaholic

Post by critmass_34 »

Happy to hear that you stayed safe. Flooded roads have to fall under the category of, turn around don't drown.
My friends call me Big Jack
Coleman Quick Lite Crew # 77
Coleman Slant Saver # 98
Sledgehammer
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Sledgehammer »

We get flooding at home also. It's not my first time seeing that. Our rivers and creeks come out at some point every year. At home the big roads are all built up high enough that they don't go under. Even if one did, there are other ways around. Easy to say when you are familiar with the area I guess. Those poor people were totally cut off. That sure makes for a bad time.
Todd from Southern IL

layn6015

Post by layn6015 »

Just south of you in Plattsmouth, Nebraska. We get our share of that.
-Harold
Sledgehammer
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Sledgehammer »

The area in that first picture was several feet under later in the day.
Todd from Southern IL

logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”