My first love...

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Breakawayplanet
Colemanaholic

Re: My first love...

Post by Breakawayplanet »

Very cool! Always fun to see what other things people collect and are in to. I started out collecting Axes. I have a massive hoard of them. At least over 1500 of them. Been going for well over 20 years now. 22 to be exact I think started when I was 9. Also collect marbles, cheap cool old glass to put and display em in, tools, and half a dozen other things. Old signage, etc. Caught the bug early on and it'll never leave now. 😁
Gonna light up the world, one lantern at a time.
If it's old, odd, hisses, is filled full of naptha and brings light to the dark, I want it.

Coleman Blues 243’s #188
MilspecOps #0086
- ZACH
Barrett
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

1500????? You've certainly got an Axe or two to grind lol
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
GregB
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by GregB »

BurntLashes wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:50 am Very nice indeed, Greg! I too collect phones, just not at your level. Two weeks ago picked up a WE 51AL candelstick and a WE 202 deskset for $25/ea - a bargain in my eyes. Heading out tomorrow to pick up a 295A subset for the 51AL for $15 - another bargain.

I love the space savers too. Got a WE 211 with its subset on the bench at the moment awaiting a full strip & restoration. Plan on hitching 'em up and using at home along with all the others. The newest attached phone in my home is a WE 302 - nothing newer. I am thankful that my Spectrum cable & telephone modem still supports pulse dialing! Only $15/mo for my landline service.

I've considered this fyns kommunale telefonselskab (Danish) unit available locally for a decent price, except I just am trying my hardest to not overdo the telephone collecting like I've done with all my other passions :roll:
That's funny to see that here, Tom. I have virtually the same phone that's been in my collection since the 1980s. You'll see the decals for the telephone company are the same. The phone was manufactured by Emil Møller in Horsens, Denmark, and has beautiful hand carving on it.

Here are three of my crown jewels, Western Electric model 1500s. They look nearly identical to the 2500s we know so well, but these are 10-button phones that pre-date the star and pound keys.

The price you paid for the candlestick and the 202 was definitely a great deal. Congratulations!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0272
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #906
Coleman Quick-Lite Crew #86
WillGCT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by WillGCT »

Old outboards were my first hobby
Then chainsaws
Now lanterns
Will G
SE CT

ICCC #2261
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0258
Coleman Milspec Syndicate #2010
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #73
Coleman Slant Savers #87

In search of birthday lanterns 3/57, 7/60, 10/86, and 4/87
BurntLashes

Post by BurntLashes »

That is funny that you have that same Danish phone! They are beautiful! God, don't twist my arm - I have no wall space remaining in my home for toys like these, thus I try and stick to things that I can actually use. Just picked up the 295A subset this evening and am pleasantly surprised. It needs just a little love, but it's complete and non-molested - I feel confident it will work perfectly with either the 51AL or the 202. Just $15 and a 30 mile drive. I got incredibly lucky with all three of these pieces.

I had to look close at your three jewels, and even then it took your dialog to understand what's desirable about them. I'll keep an eye out for similar...

Post by BurntLashes »

Curious, Greg - got any autovon examples? I've never once seen one of these in the wild either.

Post by GregB »

BurntLashes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:36 am That is funny that you have that same Danish phone! They are beautiful! God, don't twist my arm - I have no wall space remaining in my home for toys like these, thus I try and stick to things that I can actually use. Just picked up the 295A subset this evening and am pleasantly surprised. It needs just a little love, but it's complete and non-molested - I feel confident it will work perfectly with either the 51AL or the 202. Just $15 and a 30 mile drive. I got incredibly lucky with all three of these pieces.

I had to look close at your three jewels, and even then it took your dialog to understand what's desirable about them. I'll keep an eye out for similar...
That is a great subscriber set, and the price is remarkable! You probably spent more on gasoline! I love working with the wooden phones, as well, but I also have a problem with wall space.
GregB
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by GregB »

BurntLashes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am Curious, Greg - got any autovon examples? I've never once seen one of these in the wild either.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen one of those. Is that a Western Electric? It is reminiscent of the Lucent Technologies 2500 that I have (the youngest phone in my collection), which replaced the manufacturing arm of Bell Systems after the divestiture. I have the handset sitting on the handset rest so you can see what's special about this phone.

DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

BurntLashes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am Curious, Greg - got any autovon examples? I've never once seen one of these in the wild either.

That's actually not an Autovon set, though with the 16-button pad it generates the same tones. The fourth column buttons on an Autovon set are FO, F, I, and P, as in this photo of a real Autovon set (not mine, pilfered the pic off the webz):

I have seen real Autovons in the flesh at phone shows, but they are usually a bit dear for my wallet.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
BurntLashes

Post by BurntLashes »

GregB wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:29 pm Here are three of my crown jewels, Western Electric model 1500s. They look nearly identical to the 2500s we know so well, but these are 10-button phones that pre-date the star and pound keys.

Hey Greg, thanks to your info, lookie what I picked up yesterday in my neighborhood for $15...
IMG_0520a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Sledgehammer »

Nice collection. Not my thing, but as the other have said, interesting to see and learn about.

My odd collection is hammers. Since I have enjoyed blacksmithing for several years I have come across lots of specialty hammers for specific purposes. A "partial listing" if you will. Lots of hatchets and axes also.
Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
JimL
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. :)
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

My gas stove identifies as electric.
Sledgehammer
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Sledgehammer »

JimL wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:06 pm When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. :)
That's right! Sad part is, that's not half of them....
Todd from Southern IL

I like anything outdoors, vintage IH equipment, firearms, and blacksmithing.

Looking for a 7/83 birthday lantern or stove.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

DougA wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 am
My Western Electric 555 cord board:

That switchboard is cool. Looks ready for Ernestine

- Courtenay
Be Prepared
12057dave
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 12057dave »

Nice collection of phones Greg! My dad put 30 years in at GTE here in Ohio. And guess what? He collected phones too. He had a pile of them. He retired in 1984 and after he passed in 1995 my mom had an on-site auction. They must have all sold because the only one I have is an old rotary dial candlestick and my brother has the old wood wall mount with the small note table hanging in his kitchen. Dad worked in the switch room. I remember him taking me to work every once in a while and hearing all the clicking noises. Good memories.
Dave                                                   BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1957 Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0678 Milspec Syndicate #2057 Coleman Leacock 635B721 Alliance #57
GregB
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by GregB »

BurntLashes wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:48 pm
GregB wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:29 pm Here are three of my crown jewels, Western Electric model 1500s. They look nearly identical to the 2500s we know so well, but these are 10-button phones that pre-date the star and pound keys.

Hey Greg, thanks to your info, lookie what I picked up yesterday in my neighborhood for $15...
IMG_0520a.jpg
That one is a beauty! Congrats on the great find!
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

BSAGuy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:44 pm
That switchboard is cool. Looks ready for Ernestine
Yup, same model switchboard!
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
Daryl22
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Daryl22 »

Nice to see them guys. Parents new house in the 50's had yellow wall rotary with party line. Sister snagged it and a black desk rotary from the bedroom when we sold house 25 yrs back.
Daryl sunny SoCal
Coleman Blues 243's #356
No.3 & No.7 KampKook appreciation #5
BenzOmatic Appreciation Club #031
275 Appreciation #0249
Mil-Spec Ops #0356
#8 Company B
Sierra_Roadrunner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

Some of you all have very impressive collections and Ma Bell would be proud of your high esteem and respect in regards to her.
All I have in the phone linage is this measly wall phone that reminds me of those Mr. Machine models we used to have as kids....

Joe
ICCC# 1893
The stars in the night sky are like far off campfires.
A Coleman lantern glowing in camp is Sunshine of the Night.

" Curiosity is natural to the soul of man and interesting objects have a profound influence on our affections." - Daniel Boone
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

That is a very cool phone, Joe. Never seen a clear one before.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Just Bull”