Mantles

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
sjsjr86s

Mantles

Post by sjsjr86s »

so what do y'all like to run? I really do like silk lites but they really hurt the wallet. the gold tops are purdy but hard to come by and mucho expensive I purchased some of those peerless ones, the 2c-hg, it's strange they say that they're supposed to burn whiter than the yttrium Colemans yet the Colemans are whiter (did a side by side test on my propane coleman with some early 2000's units) however as the peerless ones get a few hours on them I have noticed that they have lost a bit of that golden tinge and are whitening up. I noticed though that when I look around the internet about mantles, nobody really talks about the fact that Coleman called for an uninterrupted 30 minute burn in period on their first run after being lit for 1st time. I have found that doing so helps the mantle form a nice purdy spherical shape. anyways can't wait to hear from you guys, just sitting in the driveway right now with my 220f hissing away and the bonfire crackling. buddy heater warming my bum. happy New year!
Steve
San Diego, CA
Hamtramck_Stan

Re: Mantles

Post by Hamtramck_Stan »

sjsjr86s wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:22 am so what do y'all like to run? I really do like silk lites but they really hurt the wallet... just sitting in the driveway right now with my 220f hissing away and the bonfire crackling. buddy heater warming my bum. happy New year!
I really enjoy your description by the bonfire with the 220f "hissing away". If you're in CA, then you have a half-hour left of 2020. Happy New Year!
ICCC #1973
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0246

"Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger people. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks" - Bl. Solanus Casey of Detroit, MI (1870-1957)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Everything I have is Peerless, before the latest move to the new factory. I have yet to try any of the newest production, so for now, I'm content. Speaking of content, it sounds like a relaxing time you're having with the bonfire and 220F. I wanted to have a fire New Year's Eve, but have chosen to wait until New Year's Day, as rain is in the forecast (I live in the woods, and lots of dry leaves around) and I have plenty to burn. There'll be a 237 going then...
Happy New Year to you, too!
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Gasman64 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:59 am Everything I have is Peerless, before the latest move to the new factory. I have yet to try any of the newest production, so for now, I'm content. Speaking of content, it sounds like a relaxing time you're having with the bonfire and 220F. I wanted to have a fire New Year's Eve, but have chosen to wait until New Year's Day, as rain is in the forecast (I live in the woods, and lots of dry leaves around) and I have plenty to burn. There'll be a 237 going then...
Happy New Year to you, too!
thank you! curious if you know how to tell if mants are from the new or old factory; clues on packaging or marks on them? sorry to hear about the rain in the forecast but the sun will shine much brighter when it does im certain.
Steve
San Diego, CA
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

I'm not sure, but I think the newer mantles, made in India, are labeled as such on the package. The former facility was in the Philippines.
Oh, and it's OK about the rain; I feel more comfortable with a larger fire if everything's wet around here.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

My experience is mixed. I prefer peerless for their shape and durability over the new Colemans. The shape really comes from how well you shape the mantel before the first burn in. I like to stretch it out and form it. As far as brightness I have tied on some new Colemans that will burn your eyes out they are so bright. What drives me mad about the Coleman's is out of a 4 pack at least 1 will always get holes almost immediately.
Dad gave me an un-opened 4 pack of mid 70s gold tops he found in a box under his bed. I'm dieing to try them but if I ever open it I'll tie them into something special.
Mike at OCP has a great price on the 4 pack of peerless.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

mksmth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm My experience is mixed. I prefer peerless for their shape and durability over the new Colemans. The shape really comes from how well you shape the mantel before the first burn in. I like to stretch it out and form it. As far as brightness I have tied on some new Colemans that will burn your eyes out they are so bright. What drives me mad about the Coleman's is out of a 4 pack at least 1 will always get holes almost immediately.
Dad gave me an un-opened 4 pack of mid 70s gold tops he found in a box under his bed. I'm dieing to try them but if I ever open it I'll tie them into something special.
Mike at OCP has a great price on the 4 pack of peerless.
yes i feel the same on the gold tops and silkies... save those for the liquid fuel lamp and there WILL be a burn in celebration!
Steve
San Diego, CA
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Keep your eyes open at yard/garage/tag sales. I find Silkies pretty often and usually very cheap.

That's 22 2-packs of Silkies, mostly from the '70s and '80s. $1/pack. Fuel was cheap, too!
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Gunhippie wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:18 pm Keep your eyes open at yard/garage/tag sales. I find Silkies pretty often and usually very cheap.

That's 22 2-packs of Silkies, mostly from the '70s and '80s. $1/pack. Fuel was cheap, too!
That’s hoarding lol good find 👍
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

wow nice find! score!
Steve
San Diego, CA
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

sjsjr86s wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:34 am wow nice find! score!
Haul of the year for me!
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Silk-lites are rare as hens teeth around here. No go with them.

You made a good point Mr. or Ms. sjsjr86s, all mantles I run get a burn-in time of 20-30 minutes for the past 5 years or so. I think it makes a difference.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

There is a difference in the peerless packaging. The old ones say Gasman Mfg made in the Philippines. The new ones say Indo Aurlicht made in India. The old ones are very good. The new ones aren't very white and they're very brittle.
Last edited by rob_pontius on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
wpnaes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by wpnaes »

Mike at OCP keeps me in mantles. Peerless.
Sean
Coleman 275 Turd Herder#063
Brotherhood of the Traveling Lantern Host#002
Brotherhood of the Traveling Sears Host#001
Sears Collectors Club #004
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club#063
The Coleman Blues 243's#263
MilSpec#0263

sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Chucker wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:05 am Silk-lites are rare as hens teeth around here. No go with them.

You made a good point Mr. or Ms. sjsjr86s, all mantles I run get a burn-in time of 20-30 minutes for the past 5 years or so. I think it makes a difference.
it's mr, there is a mrs but she just rolls her eyes when i start talking about lanterns and mantles :lol: I was just talking with gasman over p.m. about how not white the indian peerless glow and it's odd, now don't fault me for this, but I grew up on propane (80s baby) and I'm only starting to scratch the surface of how great these liquid fuel appliances are but i have mostly propane lights in my camp (for now) s I ran an experiment on my propane 275 and notice that on it the thorium peerless mantles burned more golden yellow then the yttrium colemans which seemed whiter. the way I did this was put a Coleman on one side and a peerless on the other. today, my little 220 blew a hole in one of the mantles (silkies, ugh) but saw an opportunity to do a comparison so I replaced the one blown silky with a peerless and lit it up. after 30 to 45 minutes of running I found the peerless thorium (India factory) was burning just about as white as the other silky that was on there already which tells me that the white gas probably Burns hotter than propane. so I guess with the peerless they really like to be driven hard to get that white light out of them or else if not you get a golden brown. I get the same golden brown color when I turn the pricker up on the 220. so again that tells me to get the white light out of the peerless you really have to give em a lot of heat. they are slightly larger than the 21a's so that makes sense. so now my strategy will be to run yttrium on the propane units and thorium on the liquid fuel ones. awful waste of money if you're not pushing them and I usually like to run the propane at a lower brightness and use the liquid fuel for the sunshine of the night (or for playing cards with pricker up)
Steve
San Diego, CA
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Just picked up some mantles (i know) from EPay... there are some "sun flame" that come with the package ...any love for those?
Steve
San Diego, CA
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

sjsjr86s wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 am Just picked up some mantles (i know) from EPay... there are some "sun flame" that come with the package ...any love for those?
I would keep for the collection. Old thoriated mantles. Probably like silkies
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 am
sjsjr86s wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 am Just picked up some mantles (i know) from EPay... there are some "sun flame" that come with the package ...any love for those?
I would keep for the collection. Old thoriated mantles. Probably like silkies
Ok cool i'll hold onto them thank you!
Steve
San Diego, CA
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

If those are the 78’s they are awesome. At least the one I tried is👍🏻
I only have 3 packs but should be getting some more soon.
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #41
Perfection Heater Collectors #2 
CANADIAN BLUES SYNDICATE #57
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

here is the haul....
Screenshot_20210330-162009.jpg
who knows maybe i bought it from someone here :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
San Diego, CA
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Sunflames are top notch thorium mantles to be used sparingly and on good condition lanterns.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

so I am finding thorium burn brighter and yellow but the yttrium burn less bright and more white am i seeing things correctly?
Steve
San Diego, CA
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

I’ve had two mantles with thorium that have taken on a color other than bright white. One was on a newly restored lantern early on in my collecting and put one on and it stayed a dull yellow. The other took on a pinkish hue after putting some Sta-Bil in a fount of gas a couple of years ago.

I recently put on some current production Coleman 21’s on a 220h and they’re blinding white light. I’ll see if I have a picture of it.
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

I was impressed with their production.
Not bad for $2.84 for a four pack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

the new stock coleman are fairly impressive, I have a stock of those too. American Mantle are surprisingly good. I like them all... and collecting them. India Peerless are meh tho.... but they burn good on my 5107
Steve
San Diego, CA
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

lucked out on this lot haul came with 4.5 pair of 78 sunflame and 3.5 packs of silklites... 2 packs (4 mantles) of them coarse weave. any difference in performance vs the fine weave or is it more antiquated of a method of mfg? they smell a little musty any cause for concern or suggested treatments? I was thinking of putting them in a toaster oven on "keep warm" maybe 200 degrees but not sure if that'll do more harm than good. thanks all!
Steve
San Diego, CA
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Interesting thread ( punn intended )

I haven't purchased a mantle in probably close to 10 years. That doesn't mean I haven't used any. I still have a case left over from when I was selling parts. And the last time I was at Ernie's I bought every silk mantle and gold top he had for sale. Combine that with Bob Meyer and Don " the junkman " both sent me a ton of mantles they got in bulk, I haven't needed to buy any. On the phone with Don one day he said he had a line on bulk silk thorium mantles. I'm sure he told me from where but I don't remember now. Anyway I offered to buy some of he got them. Well, a couple of weeks later I get the bubble mailer absolutely jam packed full of these mantles from Don. I called him and offered to pay for them, he wouldn't take my money. Just the kind of guy he was. I've got about a dozen or so left of those. Around the same time Bob Myer and I were talking about mantles and he had just gotten a couple of cases of peerless so I got a bunch of those from him. Don also got some from Bob. ( I guess some of us are mantle junkies ) . So as of today I don't have a mantle newer than probably 10 years old. Coleman, peerless, american , sunflame a couple others and some no brand. Plastic totes full. When I get back from vacation I plan on purchasing some newer ones and check out the difference.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm Interesting thread ( punn intended )

I haven't purchased a mantle in probably close to 10 years. That doesn't mean I haven't used any. I still have a case left over from when I was selling parts. And the last time I was at Ernie's I bought every silk mantle and gold top he had for sale. Combine that with Bob Meyer and Don " the junkman " both sent me a ton of mantles they got in bulk, I haven't needed to buy any. On the phone with Don one day he said he had a line on bulk silk thorium mantles. I'm sure he told me from where but I don't remember now. Anyway I offered to buy some of he got them. Well, a couple of weeks later I get the bubble mailer absolutely jam packed full of these mantles from Don. I called him and offered to pay for them, he wouldn't take my money. Just the kind of guy he was. I've got about a dozen or so left of those. Around the same time Bob Myer and I were talking about mantles and he had just gotten a couple of cases of peerless so I got a bunch of those from him. Don also got some from Bob. ( I guess some of us are mantle junkies ) . So as of today I don't have a mantle newer than probably 10 years old. Coleman, peerless, american , sunflame a couple others and some no brand. Plastic totes full. When I get back from vacation I plan on purchasing some newer ones and check out the difference.
I am learning older is better but it is expensive too! any thoughts on coarse vs fine silklites? I have comments in another.... thread :lol: about the newer peerless - I won't be buying those ever again as theyre inconsistent size-wise as well as burn color. much prefer american mantle or new coleman for daily drivers, silkies for special occasions and jury is out on Sunflames. I pitted a new coleman against an old silklite since my bic lighter melted and shot the flint through the other silklite (stung bad :cry: ). figured was a good time to experiment. the old silklite looks yellow but puts a whiter light on full while the yttrium coleman appear to have a reddish hue but it changes on lower brightness... see pics. this is on my 220 with crown fuel. theyew coleman are not half bad IMO. new coleman on left, silklite on right.
IMG_20210403_200803911~2.jpg
IMG_20210403_203040824~3.jpg
IMG_20210403_200758907_HDR~2.jpg
by the way I know she's a little rusty I am planning a full rebuild and fount paint strip/spray. Already got a new decal. I Learned not to use BICs for preheating :lol:
Steve
San Diego, CA
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

sjsjr86s wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:41 pm
kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm
I am learning older is better but it is expensive too! any thoughts on coarse vs fine silklites? I have comments in another.... thread :lol: about the newer peerless - I won't be buying those ever again as theyre inconsistent size-wise as well as burn color. much prefer american mantle or new coleman for daily drivers, silkies for special occasions and jury is out on Sunflames. I pitted a new coleman against an old silklite since my bic lighter melted and shot the flint through the other silklite (stung bad :cry: ). figured was a good time to experiment. the old silklite looks yellow but puts a whiter light on full while the yttrium coleman appear to have a reddish hue but it changes on lower brightness... see pics. this is on my 220 with crown fuel. theyew coleman are not half bad IMO. new coleman on left, silklite on right.
by the way I know she's a little rusty I am planning a full rebuild and fount paint strip/spray. Already got a new decal. I Learned not to use BICs for preheating :lol:
Be careful with those semi-automatic matches! They can get ya!
I prefer the fine weave.
This is a bit less than half of what I have to test with. Not including no name ones.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>> I won't be buying those ever again as theyre inconsistent size-wise as well as burn color. much prefer american mantle or new coleman for daily drivers,

Uhhh, aren't American mantle brand mantles just Peerless mantles in different packaging?

I've never seen a red hue like that on a mantle. I kind of like it.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

American Mantle sells Peerless and their own variety. They might be made by the same company but they are very different. American Mantle brand has a very course weave which is different from any Peerless I've ever used. At low brightness the mantles are running very cool and the flow on a double is very strongly influenced by how coarse the weave of the mantle is. I wouldn't consider it useful information at all how two different mantles look on the same double, especially on low.
Paul
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 pm
sjsjr86s wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:41 pm
kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm
Be careful with those semi-automatic matches! They can get ya!
I prefer the fine weave.
This is a bit less than half of what I have to test with. Not including no name ones.
that looks like a lot of testing fun :shock:
Steve
San Diego, CA