Why no single burner suitcase stoves?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Why no single burner suitcase stoves?

Post by Stovie »

Appropos of nothing, I was looking over the design of my 425D and got to wondering about the myriad offerings Coleman offered over the years. Single burner, smaller stand alone stoves were of course well represented, but never in a suitcase design with windscreen. I think they could have made a go of it and would have been popular.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Why no single burner suitcase stoves?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

The 502 technically had a windscreen. And 501. 501 came with the aluminum case too. Svea’s had a case/windscreen as well. Not coleman, but still. Military stoves are probably impossible to blow out if we’re being honest here.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

You're right, I'm not aware of anything Coleman produced with suitcase style windscreens. I believe bernzomatic or another propane company made a single burner built like a suitcase tho. 🤔 Good idea!

Edit this is what I was thinking of:
s-l300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Step over to the dark side. Propane has many options..campinut..

Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Yes, I meant to include (or exclude) propane in the original posts to satisfy any pedantic tendencies. :) Those ARE neat looking stoves, and illustrate what I mean however. Thanks for the pics!

The 2 burner Coleman suitcase aren't overly large, but they do take up a little bit of real estate. In practice, I don't use the aux burner too often. So, it just seems to me a smaller footprint single burner with a proportionally smaller tank, maybe a 1 pint size fuel tank, though otherwise similar in overall architecture - familiar folding design, grate, "wing" wimdscreens, would have had a following.
Dice

Post by Dice »

You have to go back to the U.S.S.R to get one from what I can tell. Been wanting one of the Shaaz stoves for years now, but they are few and far between.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane
Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
The Coleman Blue's 243 Club  #169
2016, 43 Nights Tent Camping
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

Turner Brass works made a nice single burner camp stove with case in the 1930's.

John
The Warrior

Post by The Warrior »

I have a British cooker No2 I need to fettle. Seriously heavy duty stove.
Willy
Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

DSCN6827.JPG
I think the Coleman picnic stove is the closest thing they made. It has a suitcase type carry handle, but no windscreens.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Optimus and Primus both made "suitcase" stoves...

Converting a 425 could be a fun project...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

There are people with amazing fabrication skills. I am not one of them.
Zulu Kono
Title: Like a Butterfly A Wild Butterfly

Post by Zulu Kono »

Stovie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am Appropos of nothing, I was looking over the design of my 425D and got to wondering about the myriad offerings Coleman offered over the years. Single burner, smaller stand alone stoves were of course well represented, but never in a suitcase design with windscreen. I think they could have made a go of it and would have been popular.
Sometimes a guy's gotta take matters into his own hands.

DSC04546.JPG (1).jpg
DSC04543.JPG.jpg
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Nicely done! And I like the extra storage space!

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Zulu Kono wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 pm
Stovie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am Appropos of nothing, I was looking over the design of my 425D and got to wondering about the myriad offerings Coleman offered over the years. Single burner, smaller stand alone stoves were of course well represented, but never in a suitcase design with windscreen. I think they could have made a go of it and would have been popular.

That's a cool setup! need to show that to my son...
Last edited by outlawmws on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Well that's one way to do it!
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Sears kookrite made by PW
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 pm Sears kookrite made by PW
Pic?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

outlawmws wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 pm
Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 pm Sears kookrite made by PW
Pic?
Not mine, it’s from a MeWe member
~Pancho~

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Looks to be able to put out some serious heat!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

outlawmws wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:20 pm Looks to be able to put out some serious heat!
I wouldn’t put my hand over for more than 2 seconds 😉
~Pancho~

Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

That’s John Jordan’s I believe.

There was also a single Auto Kamp Kook.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Linus has or had a single burner from the 20's 30's - hanging tank as I recall. maybe an early PW?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Dice wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm You have to go back to the U.S.S.R to get one from what I can tell.
That's kind of interesting, but the tank looks all out of proportion. Nice fuel supply, would make liters and liters of Borscht for the fellow comrades (if we had some fuel and some beets).
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:10 pm Sears kookrite made by PW (pic) Not mine, it’s from a MeWe member

Now we're cookin' with gas! Does the tank fit inside the case? Hard to tell from this angle, on a small screen. I assume so.

Still I think Coleman had a more elegant design. I know these are simple utilitarian appliances, but there is a special somethin' somethin'. Or maybe, I'm just sentimental. Or just mental. Ha! That one could use some cleanup and paintjob, maybe. Definitely no nonsense there.
Last edited by Stovie on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dice

Post by Dice »

Stovie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:03 pm
Dice wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm You have to go back to the U.S.S.R to get one from what I can tell.
That's kind of interesting, but the tank looks all out of proportion. Nice fuel supply, would make liters and liters of Borscht for the fellow comrades (if we had some fuel and some beets).
I've been thinking about fabbing one up but using an older 426 tank with a 425 case and burner. I don't know if I'll ever do it, but I think that would look more appropriate. The tank on the Shaaz does store in the case but if you notice everything is offset.
Shane
Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
The Coleman Blue's 243 Club  #169
2016, 43 Nights Tent Camping
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Dice wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm The tank on the Shaaz does store in the case but if you notice everything is offset.
I was going to mention that. It interferes with my OCD and sense of ordered symmetry. They would send me to the Gulag for that, probably.
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

DSC04546.JPG (1).jpgDSC04543.JPG.jpg

Ok I've been thinking about this post all day, about the extra suitcase stoves I have and cutting one down. Then I see this, best idea ever.

I've also been trying to figure out a stove setup to keep in my willys, mostly to make coffee or heat up lunch, well here you go. Not alot of extra room in old CJs, this would fit perfectly.

My only question is how did you plug the tube? I was just thinking of welding a plate over the hole.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

bowenstudios wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 pm

Ok I've been thinking about this post all day, about the extra suitcase stoves I have and cutting one down. Then I see this, best idea ever.

I've also been trying to figure out a stove setup to keep in my willys, mostly to make coffee or heat up lunch, well here you go. Not alot of extra room in old CJs, this would fit perfectly.

My only question is how did you plug the tube? I was just thinking of welding a plate over the hole.

Maybe use a 502 burner then there’s no welding. Just have to secure it to the 425 burner base.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Paddywonka

Post by Paddywonka »

Zulu Kono, Great idea! And picking the 413 even better. While the 425 is a great stove, the 413 allows you to use any size pot or pan. My son routinely brews up a large stock pot full of corn or pasta on his 413 stove. All ready sizing up a old 413 for the "Zulu Kono coversion" Thanks.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Hmmm, double the number of bars on the left, get a steel 9X9 brownie pan to hold briquettes, some air holes and short legs, and you Have a mini BBQ and single burner.

Maybe not a good Idea to have burning charcoal that close to a gas tank though... - Never mind, nothing to see here! :shock:

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Paddywonka

Post by Paddywonka »

Just kind of surprised I have not seen this mod before. What you could store in there is endless. Extra fuel, utensils, pans, matches, canned food,bottled water..... Would be a great for a car bug out stove too.
Zulu Kono

Post by Zulu Kono »

DSC04556.JPG.jpg
DSC04554.JPG.jpg
Last edited by Zulu Kono on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddywonka

Post by Paddywonka »

Clever on the plug. Would not imagine there wold not be any problem or leaks with out any real pressure.
Already pulled out an old 413E, for the ZULU mod. Thanks for the closeups and details, it will make it so much easier. I'm not a good innovator, but I am a great copy cat. Looks sturdy & well thought out!
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

I also thank you for the details and inspiration.

I foresee several copycats coming soon. I'll probably just weld or braze the hole. It would be cheaper and faster than going to find the plug, but good to know the option for those that dont weld. Finally something to a do with atleast one of the extra suitcase stoves I have squirreled away.

ok I never realized the burner parts screwed together on the earlier suitcase stoves. Now I know.
Last edited by bowenstudios on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike

Mil-SpecOps #0651
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

I cobbled this together so I could use my oven.

The oven hung out over the front quite a bit so I went back to my other frankie stove.
Mark
*Stargazer*
Paddywonka

Post by Paddywonka »

Mark, That is another great conversion. Sure would put an even heat on the oven, and not overheat the stove case. Looks like I will be repurposing a couple of stoves now!
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

As an added bonus that thing should pickup 850 KOA loud and clear! :)
Zulu Kono

Post by Zulu Kono »

Last edited by Zulu Kono on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

that thing has to be noisy cruisin down an old country road
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

It looked like Outlawmws used a 413 and I didn’t have a 413 to sacrifice, but I did have a 425. I cut the aux burner tube about 3/4 inch from the main burner and capped it with two appropriately sized washers and a machine screw with nut. It took some filing to get the tube perfectly flat so the washer sealed. It also took some searching to find a coffee pot that would fit the smaller case dimensions. A Stanley stainless French press worked out perfectly. That along with cups, spoon, coffee, matches, cream and sugar are ready for a road trip. I wrapped a few of the items with a couple new shop wipes, so it travels relatively quietly (thank you Burnt Bacon).
I didn’t include a picture of the finished product because it virtually mirrors Outlawmws.
E.B. Leland
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

E.B, It was actually Zulu Kono that had the 413 I just quoted it a lot.

If I do one it will probably be a 425. or I could go nuts and use a 426
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Or:

A 500 with folding windscreen works awfully well, looks good and is easy to pack.

Handles a #10 CI skillet just fine, too:

It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

Gunhippie wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 am Or:

A 500 with folding windscreen works awfully well, looks good and is easy to pack.

Handles a #10 CI skillet just fine, too:

I couldn’t agree more!
From last Oct. while bird hunting...
E.B. Leland
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

The Optimus 111B could be described as a very small suitcase stove, I guess Coleman was targeting a different market.
Having said that I love the Idea of cutting down a Coleman double burner. It would make sense to cut down the case as well.
Maybe the tank would also need shortening to get the right look.
Geoff
Kiwi
Paddywonka

Post by Paddywonka »

Nice! Can almost smell that bacon cooking all the way over here.
Sure like that table!
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

I was going to wait until I finished the burner modification but after seeing TunkTop's post I decided to share. I said earlier I wanted something that wouldn't take up much room in the back of the Willys CJ3b I'm working on. Well I managed to get everything in the case except the food to heat lunch coffee or dinner.

Here's the equipment list 200a (modified vent and will have a mesh globe) 4 military mess hall cups, coffee pot, small pan, 2 miltary mess kits to cook in and use as plates (I've had them since I was a cub scout but never used them) military utensil sets.

The burner is removable so that no space is wasted, cut down grate to clear the lantern and a 425 tank, I figured 1 burner doesn't need the big tank plus I could turn it sideways to store.

I'll make a separate post when I get the burner modified.
-Mike

Mil-SpecOps #0651
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

bowenstudios wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 am I was going to wait until I finished the burner modification but after seeing TunkTop's post I decided to share. I said earlier I wanted something that wouldn't take up much room in the back of the Willys CJ3b I'm working on. Well I managed to get everything in the case except the food to heat lunch coffee or dinner.

Here's the equipment list 200a (modified vent and will have a mesh globe) 4 military mess hall cups, coffee pot, small pan, 2 miltary mess kits to cook in and use as plates (I've had them since I was a cub scout but never used them) military utensil sets.

The burner is removable so that no space is wasted, cut down grate to clear the lantern and a 425 tank, I figured 1 burner doesn't need the big tank plus I could turn it sideways to store.

I'll make a separate post when I get the burner modified.
that's nothing if not resourceful
Zulu Kono

Post by Zulu Kono »

Last edited by Zulu Kono on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:40 pm That’s John Jordan’s I believe.

There was also a single Auto Kamp Kook.
Randy
I thought that was your place!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

Zulu Kono wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 am Nice work, gentlemen!
Now I'm inspired!
I didn't know a 425 tank would work on a 413,
but I'm now going to be ripping that idea off.
Also never occurred to me to put a lantern in there.
I've got a beater 242C that I'll attempt it with.
Keep 'em comin"!
The 425 works, kind of. It will need new slots cut for the tabs and you have to use the valve out of the 413. I was hoping to just switch out the pickup tube and rod since the 413 is longer, but alas it is also larger diameter threads. Good thing I already learned how to shorten a tube on my first frankie build.

I got the idea for the lantern because I saw someone put one in a 426. However the brim of the vent on the 200 and 242 is a little wide. The 242 is taller and would need the lip on the stove case trimmed. My 243a fits really well but no way that one is bouncing around in there. The 200 also is tight on the fount but that will just keep it secure.

Hopefully I can get the mods done over the weekend. Its really cold in the garage though.
-Mike

Mil-SpecOps #0651