Winter storm panic threads

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Winter storm panic threads

Post by Rustytank »

Other sites I'm on are flooded with threads about the winter storms that hit in Texas and the rest of the rest of the south.
Most people seem to be like the grasshopper Aesop wrote about. So few thought to even have a well stocked refrigerator much less a few alternative means for light, heat and cooking. Living hand to mouth even when they had the means to be prepared. Even poor folks can put back extra cans of beans and packs of rice.
Then I come here and we're happily bantering about whether that was a USFS that slipped by on eBay and mailing a lantern around for signatures because our youngest member thinks so much of all of us.
It's nice to be around other ants of Aesops writing who are prepared for what the world can throw at them. We got a nice snow in my area but the destructive ice has missed us thus far. The lights have been out for maybe a couple of hours tops but that's it. I have a lantern fueled up and ready to go for each of my neighbors to borrow that would need one. I also have a couple of heaters and plenty of fuel for my gpa's.
What a sense of calm and comfort all that provides.
Carry on folks!

For those unfamiliar with the story of the grasshopper and the ant https://fablesofaesop.com/the-ant-an ... pper.html
Last edited by Rustytank on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
sleebus

Re: Winter storm panic threads

Post by sleebus »

Most folk don't think very much about how thin the line is between modern living and the frontier where you had only yourself to rely on. Once you lose electric power, you're in a world of hurt. You're right back to living on the farm with no modern conviences. We were pretty well set up, but we could have planned a bit better for water storage. We filled the bathtub for non-potable use (although could have been made potable by boiling) and had about 8 gallons of potable. Plenty of food and firewood. Have two generators. Plenty of fuel for lanterns/stoves/generators. Wouldn't have been completely comfortable but also would be far from suffering. Even folks down here on the gulf coast who have to contend with the annual threat of hurricanes weren't prepared to light their homes or cook...except those with gas stoves. My dumb kitchen aid stove requires power to open the solenoid gas valve, so when the power's out, so is my gas stove. What a dumb design. At least it would be a good place to set a 413G.

Maybe there'll be more demand for old coleman camp stoves on FB Marketplace/Ebay now lol.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

I am lucky where I live. I have 3 sources of heat, oil fired furnace, heat pump, wood stove. Plus there are my Coleman lanterns, stoves,Tilley kerosene R55 and a small standby Honda generator. House is A/C equipped for the other weather side in 6 months. Wood is free from my cottage.
But during the ice storm of 1998 even all of that was taxed to the limit. No electricity for 6 days so no furnace nor heat pump. Ran out of wood on day 5 but managed to get a bit more. Couldn't fuel up my generator due to gas stations closed unless they had generators. All of this just to show that you can never be totally prepared. Got family in Houston who are in this mess. Good luck and stay safe.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

I mentioned in another thread, I believe a lot of Coleman gear has been called out of retirement from basements, attics, garages, etc., in recent days - and (hopefully) was put away lo those many years ago with an eye towards usability going forward. Mainly not put away with automotive gas in the tank.

Preventive maintenance is important, and it's easier to cultivate good habits, than it is to try and break bad ones. Very gratifying to pull something off the shelf when needed badly and have it work "as advertised" no muss no fuss and give good service. Coleman obviously did their part in the design, construction, and materials, it's up to the end user to keep it in fine fettle.
mksmth
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

It really is nice not having to worry too much if we lose power or the store shelves get wiped out. In regards to food I think a lot of people learned from the Covid panic back in the spring of 2020 but the stores still got wiped out a day or 2 ahead of the worst of it.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lanterns. 
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

Northman49 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:58 pm during the ice storm of 1998 even all of that was taxed to the limit. No electricity for 6 days so no furnace nor heat pump. Ran out of wood on day 5 but managed to get a bit more. Couldn't fuel up my generator due to gas stations closed unless they had generators. All of this just to show that you can never be totally prepared. Got family in Houston who are in this mess. Good luck and stay safe.
Agreed. It's really difficult to keep enough resouces on hand to be fully independent for long stretches of time. I think we would have made it 5-6 days, and the worst of the storm was expected to be 3 days, which is what it turned out to be. We're going to have one last cold snap, then we likely won't freeze again until November...but we'll have hurricanes to worry about until then!
parris001

Post by parris001 »

I think the kinda folks that hang out here are more apt to be of a survivalist mentality, if not full on mountain men @Rustytank. I myself got out today and went to the grocery but more as an exercise in seeing how wiped out the shelves are. And yep, pretty wiped out.
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

parris001 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:23 pm I think the kinda folks that hang out here are more apt to be of a survivalist mentality, if not full on mountain men @Rustytank. I myself got out today and went to the grocery but more as an exercise in seeing how wiped out the shelves are. And yep, pretty wiped out.
I could get by several months on groceries but I would get tired of beans, rice and cornbread everyday.
Weirdnerd
Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

I grew up surrounded by stories of my Grandfather, he was a farm boy in Poland in the early 1910's, they did not have heating or air conditioner, but they did have a deep cellar and made a "fridge" for winter, which was basically a metal box that you hang on your window during the winter months to keep perishables. I use some of the "homemade old gadgets" at home, I have rice, beans, pasta, and canned veggies, food and canned meats in the pantry that could last me several weeks, it does not have to cost a fortune to keep you comfortable.

I also have a Kerosene heater, a couple of stoves, lanterns and wood for the fireplace in case of emergency.

On a side note, I grew up in Peru in the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's, we had serious problems with terrorists blowing electrical towers and paralyzing transfer of food and transport in the mountains, so I have a first hand experience on what to have and how to surpass a no water/no electricity scenario.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Bumpkin_95
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bumpkin_95 »

My dad was a avid outdoorsman and a Vietnam vet. After Dad passed my uncle asked me and my brother if he ever told what happened to him over there. It must have really changed him a lot. But he made sure me and my brothers could survive without a roof over head let alone power. I have a generator but truly only consider it a short term solution week or so at best. Just not realistic storing that much gas. Teaching us how to survive really is one of the biggest favors my father did us I believe.
My other personality’s call me Lee
Milspec Syndicate member #1995
Lick a lantern just hanging out
Iccc member #1927
Sneezer

Post by Sneezer »

We are finally beginning to thaw out here in DFW. I got lucky - never lost power or heat, although all my friends in the area were out for various amounts, some for 3 days although most of the area is back on line now.

We had plenty of food - been that way since the pandemic hit anyway, and I have more than enough stoves, grills, propane and white gas to last through most issues. Good supply of tents and gear too. The hardware stores are getting hit now with all the plumbing repairs, and the grocery stores are empty.

i went out once to collect my grandmother in law from a powerless apartment and move her to the folks, and the line at the Whataburger was insane. I only saw 3 fast food places and a pizza hit open, and 2 bars. Everything else was closed.

Most of our friends are scout families, so by and large were better prepared than most.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Yup, if you have the equipment for camping (not including battery powered stuff) you are way ahead of people who don't.

Praying for you people down south without power. Guess the 100 year storm was a bit delayed but it came.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Optimus45

Post by Optimus45 »

Being in SoCal we have an earthquake kit. Keep enough dry food in there for about a week. Plus we keeps well stocked pantry. My stored water supply is lacking I need to work on improving that. Never really thought about heat but I guess I'll need to address that soon. At worst the popup has a heater. It does give a sense of security knowing I have all these lanterns and stoves if something should happen. Need to buy more fuel.
Joe
Mil-Spec Ops #0219
If a man is alone in a forest and there isn't a women around to hear him, is he still wrong?
SteveA
Colemanaholic

Post by SteveA »

I'm prepared all the time for power outages due to hurricane season, not so much for heat for winter outages, just a couple of propane heaters. Probably have enough food on hand for a month or so, though the food will get REALLY boring after a week or so. One of the things to have on hand is cash, no power no ATM's and I don't think the banks would open, all their stuff is electronic as well.
I need to find a small wood stove I can move into the house if necessary. I know I can make something to fit in one of my windows to run the pipe outside. Pop out a window, pop in the "adapter" and be in business.
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Sad to say that too many young folks no longer have the experiences of Scouts and family camping, which pretty much makes you aware, to be prepared.

Many years ago our family rented a nice condo on Lake Michigan. A tornado ripped through the town over night, leaving no power for days. Fortunately, it was our last day, so we just prepared to go home where there was no damage. Despite that, the condo had well water, thus no water. So, with the missus and three girls, having a potty to flush was a high priority. I took the trash can down to the swimming pool to get a few gallons. A neighboring vacationer yelled at me in a very condescending way that pool water was not safe to drink. I casually mentioned, I wasn't planning to drink it, rather flush the toilet. In disbelief, he said, "how do you do that?" I almost said, "just keep pouring it in the bowl..." but I took the high road and slowly explained how to fill the cabinet behind the stool, etc." He later came over to thank me.
Bob
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

This video depicts, in a very humorous way, how many people still act when snow is predicted here, in the NE US:

I can't understand why even long-time locals act this way...
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

Gasman64 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:30 am This video depicts, in a very humorous way, how many people still act when snow is predicted here, in the NE US:
Spot on, Steve! So true 😆
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

Doing the Scouting thing back in the 60's helped me learn to be prepared when things go south. Mom growing up in London during WWII she passed along a lot of other "be prepared" things. Being from Michigan and being stationed in Indiana and Idaho I learned a number of "winter" preps. Having spent most of my life in Florida hurricane season does the same.

All my camping gear is part of my emergency supplies. Besides a pantry stuffed full there is also a tote full of canned goods along with a can opener. Found out a long time ago 2 liter soda bottles are better for storing water than the typical milk jug. The water stays good for two years. Ten gallons of drinking/cooking water always on hand. Rain collection will take care of any other water needs. Generator will take care of the electrical needs. Start of hurricane season I fill 20 gallons of cans. End of season they fill the Jeep. Tarps, plywood standing by if needed. Vehicles all have their own emergency kits in them.

One thing I try to pass along to anyone willing to listen, you can stock up on all the stuff you need a few items at a time each payday. You do not have to break the bank to start being prepared to take care of yourself and your family.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Dremwolf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 am

One thing I try to pass along to anyone willing to listen, you can stock up on all the stuff you need a few items at a time each payday. You do not have to break the bank to start being prepared to take care of yourself and your family.
Some folks just can't figure this part out.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

I agree with this, discussions with skeptics always seem to revolve around the extremes. It isn't necessary to build a bunker and go full on doomsday "prepper", early on I realized that camping and hiking gear and outdoor equipment made for a good equipment base for emergency use, whether due to weather or other causes.

A few extra canned goods and staples, non-perishables, cleaning supplies as time and budget allows. A method (or methods) for effective water disinfection or purification. Over time a surprising amount of food value (calories, protein, fats) can be put up, and in a surprisingly small amount of space. It doesn't have to take up a lot of room. The key takeaway has always been stay a few steps ahead of the "herd". Secure those necessary items in reasonable quantities before they become scarce or expensive, or both.
Willy
Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

Year ago while living in the CA bay area, had a conversation with my coworkers about earthquakes. To my surprise, I was the only one that had an earthquake kit. All of these people had been through the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. One guy said if anything happened he would just come over to my house. I told him if he did, we would be eating long pig for supper.
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

Stovie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 amThe key takeaway has always been stay a few steps ahead of the "herd". Secure those necessary items in reasonable quantities before they become scarce or expensive, or both.
Exactly this. Usually if you can self-sustain for a week or two, things will simmer down enough such that you'll be able to restock. I still can't figure out the rush on toilet paper when covid appeared. Do people only have one roll in the house at a time that they share? Just the weirdest thing.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

sleebus wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 pmDo people only have one roll in the house at a time that they share? Just the weirdest thing.

Had everyone wondering. For one thing, the disease isn't say, Cholera. For another, it makes no sense to hoard 2 years worth of asswipe without an equivalent amount of food on hand.

Stay away from crowds, as always.
mowgod

Post by mowgod »

Gasman64 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:30 am This video depicts, in a very humorous way, how many people still act when snow is predicted here, in the NE US:

Ah good ol nick that's the clip that made him a little more famous. but yea around here you mention the white crap and the s__t hits the fan no one has a damn clue of how to prepare and survive with out power.
Phil
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

:lol: So true!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020