Stove fan with bent blade. Will it be an issue?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Quick_Cal
Serious Colemanaholic

Stove fan with bent blade. Will it be an issue?

Post by Quick_Cal »

I know some of you run these stove fans on top of your heaters. I just got one today and tried it out. It has some bent blades. Or should I say they are not all bent the same and I can see them kinda wobbling. The fan isn't shaking.

Do you guys think this will wear out the motor? I'm trying to decide weather or not to get another one. But I have a feeling I would end up with the same thing.

I tried to gently bend the blade but I seen the shaft tweaking on the motor, so I stopped.
Any thoughts?

Some call me   "The Wrangler''

Perfection Heater Collectors #1 Gold Bond Collector #19
Quick Lite Crew #39 Slant Saver #64
Canadian Blues #58 Coleman 275 #1979
Sears Collector #100
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Stove fan with bent blade. Will it be an issue?

Post by rob_pontius »

I don't think that it will hurt anything as long as the blades have equal weight. The motor can only pick up on centrifugal forces, so that shouldn't be an issue. The one that I have is a 2 blade fan. The blades are off a little bit as yours is. It works fine as is.
Rob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I've seen a lot of these on woodstoves. I don't recall one with a perfectly balanced fan, and some have been running for decades.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

The blade track can be off, that doesn't mean the balance or vibration level is. Like you though, my OCD would not allow for this condition. Careful bending of the offending blade(s) will bring it in I bet. Let us know what you find.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If you can get any details from the motor, you can likely track down a replacement blade fairly cheap. Probably on ebay.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
arryk

Post by arryk »

Holding the fan in your hand, hold a small steel rule against one of the surfaces perpendicular to the blade about an inch in from the blade tip, and slide it out until it touches the blade. Then continuing to hold it in position, use it to gauge the other blades.

Bend accordingly.

We use an ecofan on our Perfections and take it with when we plan on weather getting cold, for use on the tent stove.

Without a purpose built case, it gets tweaked here and there. Just tweak it back.
Arryk: Newbie but learning