Toilet cleaner for frame cleaning?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Toilet cleaner for frame cleaning?

Post by paulbarrette »

I have used citric, electrolysis, naval jelly for frame cleaning (after a good scrub with dawn).

I have read that some use toilet bowl cleaner as well. Any advantages? Any particular brand?

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Toilet cleaner for frame cleaning?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Toilet bowl cleaner is just lye. A lot of rr collectors fill five gallon buckets with it for de rusting.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I know a lot of the toilet bowl cleaners like The Works have changed their formulas. Best to find straight lye. Handle with caution. Gloves and glasses.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I don't understand why folks recommend caustic chemicals that will burn the skin on contact. I prefer to stick with the relatively harmless ones such as citric. Heat it up if you want it to work faster. So what if it takes an extra few minutes?

>>Toilet bowl cleaner is just lye.

What toilet bowl cleaner contains lye? Just picking The Works as an example toilet bowl cleaner, I found this: "The Works toilet bowl cleaner include hydrochloric acid, chlorine bleach, sodium lauryl sulphate and citric acid.". Sodium hydroxide(lye) is not on included.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

>>Toilet bowl cleaner is just lye.

What toilet bowl cleaner contains lye? Just picking The Works as an example toilet bowl cleaner, I found this: "The Works toilet bowl cleaner include hydrochloric acid, chlorine bleach, sodium lauryl sulphate and citric acid.". Sodium hydroxide(lye) is not on included.
[/quote]

I think many used to be lye, the problem was people were using it to make meth. At least in my area, we have a problem. Most companies switched to acids instead of bases around 15 years ago it seems, maybe longer ago. I remember trying to buy lye for my mom to make soap and it was hard and could only buy so much at one time because of the meth heads.

I also agree with you about recommending the dangerous stuff, heck muratic acid will also work great, but is dangerous and probably works too fast. I like the more forgiving but weaker acids, although ice used diluted muratic before.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Thanks for the info all! If it is just lye or mostly lye, I will stick to my usuals. I prefer a less caustic approach. I know myself🙄. I would be wearing it half the time.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Toilet bowl cleaners are acids. Lye is a base. Totally different chemicals. I use acids (citric, vinegar, toilet bowl cleaner) in varying concentrations to clean rust and metal surfaces. I use lye (oven cleaner, straight Red Devil lye from hardware store) to clean organic stuff like soot, which is, of course carbon.
Last edited by BSAGuy on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner that I use (very carefully) is 12% HCL. Some frames have plating over the steel and it will quickly remove that as well as the rusted parts. Use caution!
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Paul, I'm fond of citric acid. You can purchase the granular form online, and it'll keep for years in a tightly sealed container. So safe, you can even eat it, but it's hard on the teeth... :D
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

BSAGuy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 pm Toilet bowl cleaners are acids. Lye is a base. Totally different chemicals. I use acids (citric, vinegar, toilet bowl cleaner) in varying concentrations to clean rust and metal surfaces. I use lye (oven cleaner, straight Red Devil lye from hardware store) to clean organic stuff like soot, which is, of course carbon.
Thanks for the clarification, Courtenay.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

austin65uri wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 am Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner that I use (very carefully) is 12% HCL. Some frames have plating over the steel and it will quickly remove that as well as the rusted parts. Use caution!
Thanks for the heads up. It must work faster than citric.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Jayhawksr
Colemanaholic

Post by Jayhawksr »

I've used The Works a couple of times with very good results. Great for surface rust removal on 228 frames. Cheap and fast but you need to verrryyy careful -- eye protection, skin protection and chemical gloves are a must.
Richard (KC native and KU Alumni living in Maryland)
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. Go KU!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1983.  Coleman Quick-lite Crew #36.
Mil Spec Syndicate #1983
Eagle Scout Class of '83
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Gasman64 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 am Paul, I'm fond of citric acid. You can purchase the granular form online, and it'll keep for years in a tightly sealed container. So safe, you can even eat it, but it's hard on the teeth... :D
Hi Steve,
I bought 2lbs of it a few months ago online. It is a lot cheaper online. I paid twice as much for 1/2 lb at a bulk food place.

I hear it is like koolaid😀. No desire to drink it.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Jayhawksr wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:05 pm I've used The Works a couple of times with very good results. Great for surface rust removal on 228 frames. Cheap and fast but you need to verrryyy careful -- eye protection, skin protection and chemical gloves are a must.
Hi Richard,
Sounds like pretty strong stuff. Good to know. I use a visor even with citric. No need to get that stuff in your eyes.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Bill
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Bill »

The Works toilet cleaner used to be 20% Hydrochloric acid, now it’s only 9.5%. I use it a lot because it works fast (unlike Evaporust) and it’s cheap (also unlike Evaporust). There’s another inexpensive brand of toilet cleaner called Johnny Fresh with about the same HCl concentration. I mostly use it to clean and de-rust burner cages. I usually use something less harsh for the interiors of founts—either white vinegar, CLR or Evaporust.
Bill Sheehy, aka Merlotrin P.M.      ICCC #1390      eBay handle: wtspe
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #24  /  Mil-Spec Ops, Bernz-o-Matic, and Sears Syndicates #58
Looking for birthday lanterns dated 4/33, 9/33 & 8/87
mnhogrider
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mnhogrider »

The Works used to be good. Now it’s worthless. I used to use it to pre clean rusted burner frames then Evaporust bath.

Now I just use citric acid in hot water. It’s cheap, does a good job and it’s a lot easier on my hands.
Steve
ICCC Member #1396 
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #017
Mack, Cat and Cadillac.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Bill wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:17 pm The Works toilet cleaner used to be 20% Hydrochloric acid, now it’s only 9.5%. I use it a lot because it works fast (unlike Evaporust) and it’s cheap (also unlike Evaporust). There’s another inexpensive brand of toilet cleaner called Johnny Fresh with about the same HCl concentration. I mostly use it to clean and de-rust burner cages. I usually use something less harsh for the interiors of founts—either white vinegar, CLR or Evaporust.
Thanks for the info bill. You are right, evaporust is expensive. I bought a small container for$10 and I am reusing that until the bitter end. There is a home depot knock off brand that is cheaper. I will look for it next time I am there.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

mnhogrider wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 am The Works used to be good. Now it’s worthless. I used to use it to pre clean rusted burner frames then Evaporust bath.

Now I just use citric acid in hot water. It’s cheap, does a good job and it’s a lot easier on my hands.
Hi Steve, good to know. I use citric as well.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Paul,

I agree, Evaporust ain't cheap, but it's still down to $15 for a gallon on Amazon. Certainly cheaper than $10 per quart!
-Jim

brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

i decided to use lemon juice on very rusty military stove wrenches and it worked great,was completely safe and did not leave a nasty residue. when i started collecting i used muriatic acid but found out that it rusted any metal that was even remotely near the fumes it gave off so decided not to use that any more.
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

BSAGuy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 pm Toilet bowl cleaners are acids. Lye is a base. Totally different chemicals. I use acids (citric, vinegar, toilet bowl cleaner) in varying concentrations to clean rust and metal surfaces. I use lye (oven cleaner, straight Red Devil lye from hardware store) to clean organic stuff like soot, which is, of course carbon.
Courtenay is correct, when I posted earlier I was thinking of drain cleaner, which is often strong lye. It does a good job dissolving grease and hair.

With people talking about using cleaners that are different concentrations of hydrochloric acid I've wondered why more don't use muratic acid. Its ridiculously cheap, a table spoon or 2 to a gallon of water would probably be the same concentration as full strength vinegar, which is what I normally use. Just handle it carefully, outside because of fumes especially if heated, don't leave parts in too long, which is good advise in general. Then always neutralize with baking soda, which I do anyway.

Anyone have have a reason not too? Of course I would rather smell citric or even vinegar, but doing lots or big parts why not.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

I got some pretty bad flash rusting with 25% HCl toilet bowl cleaner when that craze hit the CCF about 9 years ago. I don't remember if it was diluted or not. I prefer citric, but even better, Evaporust (I love that stuff, it's worth the price to me.)
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

JimL wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:55 am Paul,

I agree, Evaporust ain't cheap, but it's still down to $15 for a gallon on Amazon. Certainly cheaper than $10 per quart!
Hi jim,
That is a good price. I think it is double that here. It is worth it though.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

brokenmantle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 am i decided to use lemon juice on very rusty military stove wrenches and it worked great,was completely safe and did not leave a nasty residue. when i started collecting i used muriatic acid but found out that it rusted any metal that was even remotely near the fumes it gave off so decided not to use that any more.
Muriatic scares me. I can see myself or s family member knocking it over. I don't mind waiting. Isn't lemon juice essentially a fragrant citric?

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>That is a good price. I think it is double that here. It is worth it though.

Sorry Paul. I didn't remember that you were in Canada.

>><Muriatic scares me. I can see myself or s family member knocking it over. I don't mind waiting. Isn't lemon juice essentially a fragrant citric?

Scares me too, and it's a pet peeve of mine to see posters recommending it to folks without even asking if they've ever used it or even know how to handle it. You know, silly stuff like it'll burn skin on contact, that personal protective equipment needs to be worn, or the danger of mixing with water incorrectly. To not find out first or at least providing guidance is simply irresponsible

Citric acid does everything I want and there's no concern of getting it on the skin. If I want it to work a lot faster, I make it a little more concentrated and heat it up. I find that in a fount, hot citric acid will not only remove rust, but will also clean out old fuel sludge. Your lemon juice will be just fine. If you have dollar stores, they may have bottles of lemon juice, which will probably be made of citric acid. If you buy a lemonade flavored beverage, there's probably a 99.5% chance it's citric acid. Real lemons cost money. :)
-Jim