Found this old Civil Defense container at a flea market

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
LongueCarabine

Found this old Civil Defense container at a flea market

Post by LongueCarabine »

I thought this was pretty neat, since I've always been interested in Cold War / Civil Defense items. This particular container was made by the Rheem Mfg. Co. in New Orleans, LA (they made water heaters, among other things) and there is a tag on it that says it came out of the parish courthouse in Lafayette, LA.

Unfortunately there weren't any supplies in it, but it is very clean inside and the it seals nicely.

Anyone else here into Civil Defense stuff? I don't have much, just an old CD fallout shelter sign and a complete radiological set, but I've always liked the history behind them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brian

Mil-Spec Ops #1929

Looking for the following lanterns; 08/36; 09/29; 05/59; 05/60; 06/61; 12/65; 11/75; 11/88
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Found this old Civil Defense container at a flea market

Post by mgmlvks »

Great conversation starter! City Hall basement had quite a number of them when I started in 1988. They went away as we cleaned up stuff. Pretty sure they were sold and not thrown away. Do not recall if they had crackers or anything else in them
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

I saw several of these a few years ago at a guys house that had a bunch of surplus stuff as well as everything else laying around. I think they were the same size but for stockpiling water. Too bad they were outside and rusted fairly bad.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

Those containers are in nice shape. Interesting reading the directions for use. I’ve seen a couple of those at a nearby swap/sell shop, but they weren’t in as nice of condition as yours.

My only OCD item is a fallout shelter sign. Came from an older building at work, built in the mid-50’s.

Makes a good avatar, too 😎
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

I well remember seeing the fallout shelter signs around my small southern town in the 1960's.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

I am sure there are quite a number of us on this forum "of a certain age" to have had air raid drills in school.

The school I worked in had those CD barrels in the basement and they were unearthed, so to speak, in the late 80s or early 90s and were disposed of, but one or two were kept and opened and when I retired almost two years ago there was still a display cabinet in one of the hallways with all the items from one of those barrels neatly presented in the case. Sadly, I never took a picture of it.

As I think of it, they did keep the barrels and used them as trash cans in the school for a long time.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
egroscup
Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

I enjoy the cold war memorabilia also, but don't have too much stuff. We had a local PBS tv program here called 'Ken Kramer's About San Diego. Really interesting and fun program. One episode he went into some local old shelter with an archaeologist and they opened up and tried the crackers. Pretty funny but they were still edible. I emailed him about doing a piece on the San Diego Lamp Co. but I guess he couldn't find enough to make an interesting segment. He did put a quick mention of them at the end of one show with Terry's images so that was cool. E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

At the time the biscuits were a bit of a scandal, iirc. Some of the firms awarded government contracts to supply them didn't use suitable ingredients or processing or somesuch. Even if they were "good", they weren't very good by all accounts.

I recall seeing the red & yellow hard candies at sporting goods stores or Army Navy Surplus shops. They would open up a can and set them by the cash register. Sort of like complimentary mints at restaurants. At one time all that stuff could hardly be given away. Now it's "collectable", natch.
OregonMichael

Post by OregonMichael »

I had two of those drums at one point; sold one, kept the other. They do make a nice display piece. I love the CD/CP stuff, too. Both that I got were also empty; no tag stating where they'd come from.
mnhogrider
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mnhogrider »

If they were dropping nukes over my head and I was down in a fallout shelter, the commode option might be a good thing.
Steve
ICCC Member #1396 
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #017
Mack, Cat and Cadillac.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I picked up this OCD license plate at a flea market to go along with my OCD 200.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICCC # 1402
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Rob Pontius picked me up this sign at an auction to display with my USFS lanterns.
ICCC # 1402
LongueCarabine

Post by LongueCarabine »

Rubing wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am I picked up this OCD license plate at a flea market to go along with my OCD 200.
That Civil Defense license plate is beyond cool!

Brian

Mil-Spec Ops #1929

Looking for the following lanterns; 08/36; 09/29; 05/59; 05/60; 06/61; 12/65; 11/75; 11/88