242 Shag

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

242 Shag

Post by grob »

I e-mailed on Sat. within an hour of their posting my interest in 3 242Cs. I think they are all Cs. 2 nickel and 1 green for $100 each firm. They do look real nice. Over what I would be willing to pay really, but they are hard to find around here, so I was going to offer $175 for 1 nick and the green. No reply, Sun. no reply and I called and got voice mail full. Mon. they jack the price to $115 each and said text only. A-HOLES!. I don't have text, so I e-mailed my offer of $175 for 2. Still looking for my first one.
Some A-HOLES really have to make life hard.
Venting, Gar
Boy, I say boy... you're about to exceed the limitations of my medication.
Nice girl, but she's 'bout as sharp as a bag o wet mice.
- Foghorn Leghorn
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: 242 Shag

Post by gwillmot »

Where did "they" post the lanterns? Just curious.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

mksmth
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Marketplace is full of jerks. People are using it as an auction site.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lanterns. 
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

Craig's List. I also got shagged on a nice 237 on Offer Up. Never got a response, then a friend said he responded to the same ad a year ago and never got a response. This is getting old now. Gar
- Foghorn Leghorn
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That really sucks.. I don't know why some people are such losers.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Just because you don't approve of their communication preference, it's no reason to label them "A-HOLES". It is their stuff and they have the right to choose the criteria around the sale. You can always take your anger out by just walking away.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

Jim, they added the 'text only', 2 days later and jacked up the price. I think that counts as a shag!
Gar
- Foghorn Leghorn
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

It does sound like they measured their responses and jacked the prices accordingly... not kosher in a lot of respects but not a law against it either... buyer beware!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Lanterns offered for $100 each firm.
You offer $175 for two.
Seller laughs.
Sounds right to me.
Paul
Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Ive got a few in the $75 range Id sell ya.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 am Ive got a few in the $75 range Id sell ya.
Wow, this is a nice deal.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

Hey Randy I would like to take a look at them. Can you e-mail me some photos? I think you have my e-mail... PM me if not.
Thanks, Gar
- Foghorn Leghorn
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

When I am selling something on Craigslist or FB marketplace here is what I have encountered.

9 out of 10 people do not show up to look at / purchase items after scheduling a time and place. Based on this fact I do not negotiate unless you actually show up. I have stopped responding to "offers" from local people all together.
If you ask if I am negotiable I will continue the discussion but I am firm on not entertaining offers of items sight unseen.
You have zero negotiating leverage and really do yourself and the seller a disservice. Online pictures can be deceptive so you may be negotiating on a complete pile of .....
I typically inspect 2-3 muscle cars a year for customers in Europe. It is amazing the clapped out cars that look pristine in photos but when your twenty feet away in person you immediately know its a pile.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

RobSchroff

Post by RobSchroff »

1) Increasing a price after listing is an a$$701e move.
2) Making a $175 offer for two lanterns offered at $100 "firm" each is not unreasonable. Might not work, but not unreasonable
3) Kevin is dead-on about people making other than in-person offers. Potential buyers should evaluate the item in person, then make an offer.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm When I am selling something on Craigslist or FB marketplace here is what I have encountered.

9 out of 10 people do not show up to look at / purchase items after scheduling a time and place. Based on this fact I do not negotiate unless you actually show up. I have stopped responding to "offers" from local people all together.
If you ask if I am negotiable I will continue the discussion but I am firm on not entertaining offers of items sight unseen.
You have zero negotiating leverage and really do yourself and the seller a disservice. Online pictures can be deceptive so you may be negotiating on a complete pile of .....
I typically inspect 2-3 muscle cars a year for customers in Europe. It is amazing the clapped out cars that look pristine in photos but when your twenty feet away in person you immediately know its a pile.
Makes me think of the TV show where "experts" flip cars for a big profit, but when they get it into their shop, discover all kinds of issues.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

hikerduane wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm When I am selling something on Craigslist or FB marketplace here is what I have encountered.

Makes me think of the TV show where "experts" flip cars for a big profit, but when they get it into their shop, discover all kinds of issues.
Duane
I’ve saved guys $80,000 in purchase price plus 60k plus more to fix.
Then you have sellers who don’t want the cars inspected. Had one guy insist I bring 50k in cash to inspect a car. OK, obviously you don’t want your car inspected prior to purchase.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

Rob and Kevin, I agree with in person offers. I only made an e-mail offer as a last resort after I got no responses and the rate hike. Sellers on CL and the like don't care about 'the customer'. They don't make it as easy as they can for contacts and payments and usually don't even bother to wipe off superficial grime or take decent photos. How hard is it to take a wet paper towel to a lantern or stove? If you want to sell something, make it as attractive as possible and easy to negotiate. On the other hand I look at the dirty ones for cheap to see if there is a jewel underneath. It's worked out with a couple lanterns like a 220B for $25.
Gar
- Foghorn Leghorn
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

A-Hole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Foghorn Leghorn