Smarter than this Aladdin

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Smarter than this Aladdin

Post by salukispeed »

I have 4 Aladdin lamps Model12, "B" and "C" burners, All new wicks and mantles all work and filled with fresh klean heat The 12 is by far the easiest and brightest. The B and C are more finicky. I find them very difficult to dress the wick to get rid of any low spots or spikes. which make it less consistent light on the mantle and even after a long warm up 1/2 to 3/4 hour they can be prone to spotting the mantle at the spikes if turned up enough to be good light output. . I have two Aladdin wick cleaner/dresser's I spent some time last night with two lamps and never got a nice consistent blue flame and there for did not get a nice consistent bright mantle. . Any helpful tips besides more time tweaking the stupid wick. The burner/spreaders and all the holes are spotlessly clean. The newer mantles seem to be less consistent and not perfectly formed either.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
sleebus

Re: Smarter than this Aladdin

Post by sleebus »

Ugh, I have the same problem with a B burner. I've trimmed the wick level with a razor blade several times, and it still wants to burn one side low and the other is high. Driving me crazy. I always end up with one side of the mantle glowing and nothing on the other side.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I don't think Aladdin's are good at maximum brightness. I've only been using my Model B burner, and am impressed how well it works. No flame-ups, unless I try to get maximum brightness from it. I will normally go to maximum brightness and then back way off, but this is really to prevent a runaway flame.

As far as the mantles are concerned, I've not heard of anyone praising the current manufacture of them. With no competition, they probably won't get any better. What's annoying is that the prices are going up on these, and they're expensive to begin with!

As far as one side burning low and the other high, I have a Rayo that does that upon raising the wick. What works for me on that one is to raise the wick more than I want to burn it at and then lower it where I want it to burn. It's worth a try.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Warning! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I'm not a big Aladdin fan, but I know they have to be spotlessly clean. All the air holes need to be cleaned and wick good and even... Rayo's are so much easier in my opinion... Or a light switch for that matter 😂 But the Aladdin's sure have a nice look to them.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

Maximum bright is not easy and a recipe for a runaway If left at max. The more even I can get the illumination the brighter I can run it safely, and uneven brightness is difficult to get anything near to good illumination. My "C"'s are better than my "B" but my "12" is the best. also All lamps I own have the standard height Lox-On low altitude chimney .
Bob
ICCC 1868
Milspec 65252
parris001

Post by parris001 »

I've swapped all of my Aladdins over to B burners. I don't have runaways with Bs like I have with others.

As for getting them to burn evenly, I index my gallery to the burner and pick the one out of three that works the best.
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

Based on the comments I broke down and used a razor blade and cuticle scissors and magnifying glass to trim and fine tune the "B" burner on my Washington drape and finally have it pretty decent. The mantle is a bit off kilter/distorted but Oh Well. I had it lit and put out three times and kept trimming down the high or spike after it cooled but is pretty even now. I sure like them once the bugs are exterminated. Next will be my Caboose with a "C"
Bob
ICCC 1868
Milspec 65252